Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th September 2010, 18:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Hatches like the Fiesta, Golf, Focus and Clio are very maneuverable and handle superbly too.
Thats the reason i mentioned the word "most" in my statement.
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 18:14   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Let me also add that average drivers (as most of us are) can never really exploit the limit of a car that handles well. To most people, and I completely agree, how easy a car is to drive in the city ranks higher than behaviour at 140 kph. Can't argue with the "aam junta"; after all, we do spend 99% of our driving time this side of 80 kph.

Here's another great thread on Handling, and the factors that contribute to it.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 19:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me also add that average drivers (as most of us are) can never really exploit the limit of a car that handles well.
On a public road, you just wouldn't be able to exploit the car even if you wanted to. It's only when you drive your car on track, do you realize how conservative your driving style is, on public roads.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 00:35   #19
BANNED

Today's Overdrive on CNBC had a comparison of hatches in some aspects (ease of parking, ingress/egress, comfort, etc.) and one thing left me confused and that is "sudden lane change maneuvering", which in my understanding belongs to a car's handling capabilities. What left me confused is that some of the better known handlers like polo & punto failed to perform in their simple tests, where as honda jazz emerged the winner. In my experience honda jazz is a decent handler, but polo & punto are supposed to be better in this department. Any thoughts?
gadget.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 12:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today's Overdrive on CNBC had a comparison of hatches in some aspects (ease of parking, ingress/egress, comfort, etc.) and one thing left me confused and that is "sudden lane change maneuvering", which in my understanding belongs to a car's handling capabilities. What left me confused is that some of the better known handlers like polo & punto failed to perform in their simple tests, where as honda jazz emerged the winner. In my experience honda jazz is a decent handler, but polo & punto are supposed to be better in this department. Any thoughts?
Sudden lane change is just one part of handling. How a car behaves in this situation will also depend on the amount of grip it has, weight distribution of the car, weight of the car, how the suspension has been setup etc. Even something as small as tyre pressure can drastically affect lane changing characteristic.

The Polo and Punto might do better in other aspects of handling.

Moreover, we don't know how they were ranking the cars, so personal handling preference also comes into play here. Not everyone would like a car to behave in the same manner. Maybe the guys who tested these cars liked the way the Jazz performed.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 12:59   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Wouldn't a better handling Car make for a good buy? (safe)
Suppose if someone is in the market for a Car costing ~7L and has i20(d), Jazz, Fiesta 1.6 and Punto 90HP in mind, but then we might have a new Fiesta soon, Fiat has its share of niggling problems(both are absolute genius as far as on-road behavior goes)
i20 d has stonking performance, but power w/o control? and Jazz, for close to 7.5L, you get a 1.2 petrol and an EPS unit to be content with.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 14:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Wouldn't a better handling Car make for a good buy? (safe)
Suppose if someone is in the market for a Car costing ~7L and has i20(d), Jazz, Fiesta 1.6 and Punto 90HP in mind, but then we might have a new Fiesta soon, Fiat has its share of niggling problems(both are absolute genius as far as on-road behavior goes)
i20 d has stonking performance, but power w/o control? and Jazz, for close to 7.5L, you get a 1.2 petrol and an EPS unit to be content with.
Having driven the i20 enough i am sure there is nothing "out of control" about the car, it is just something in the minds of us Bhpians who have a notion that all hyundai's handle bad.
cruiser@0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 16:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget.fr View Post
I saw it too---but I do remember the Punto fared badly in the test, but don't remember seeing the Polo in that test. I think the Punto was a non-ABS Punto, like the Nano shown a bit later.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 00:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Let me also add that average drivers (as most of us are) can never really exploit the limit of a car that handles well. To most people, and I completely agree, how easy a car is to drive in the city ranks higher than behaviour at 140 kph.
Complete agree. But if your daily drive is through hills this is the most sought feature of car if you drive fast, not that i recommend.

Braking is a feature that you used most in cities to avoid collision etc. But in hills you need to brake as well as cut swiftly in many cases. Thats where handling comes to play.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote