Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 14th September 2010, 10:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I did some study here on the Rhino and saw some new features, colors etc, but I guess am going to skip it.
I looked at the classifieds here today and was surprised at the pretty low going rate for used Safaris...
Good decision diyguy.
And yes, the Safari has always had pathetic re sale values in the market.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:10   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Diyguy

Safari Resale values are 6-7L for GX/VX models in 2 years time - Quite low.

So it makes sence new if you plan to keep it for 4 years or more only, or if you buy second hand with 2 years of warranty left.

I have a 10 years only TCIC with me. It was 50% submerged in the Mumbai flood.

Almost all electricals have been replaced. It is presently at 170,000 kms and the total maintenance including 3 clutch plate changes, 4 brake pad changes, 1 Turbo change, 4 suspension reworks, Servicing as usual, 3rd Battery, second pair of headlights, 4 stitched art leather cover set, 4 set of tyres, 1 renewed power stearing, I Fuel Pump service, 1 Engine Valves replacement, 1 Rupper pipes replacement, All handles - inside and ouside replacement, 2 Rear tail lights replacement, 2 side step replacements, 2 sets primary and 2 sets bumper foglights replacement, New high power lights, 1 wind shield, 1 set of front inteiror plastics, I condesners, multiple AC services, 2 waterpumps, all relays etc.

Total maintenance till now is less than Rs. 3L - for a 10L vehicle, at 170,000 kms that seems fine at less than Rs. 2/ kms (including the costs due to replacement of parts due to submergence under water.)

Half of what I have done has been NON ESSENTIAL, and I just felt like getting it changed to the latest look.

The TCIC is supposed to be more reliable than the 3.0 and 2.2 but the 2.2 seems to have all the corrective measures implemented, and should now be most reliable - infact it would come in the Aria as well.

Go ahead and buy it or wait for the Aria and buy that. The Qualis will not let you do the things the Safari would and not with that passion anyways.

If it is absolute peace of mind and 0 visits to the service centre that you are looking at then buy the Innova.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for a utterly reliable mode of transport, simple avoid the safari & buy the innova instead.

i have had 2 safaris & 3 scorpios & one innova. very frankly, my worst ownership experience was with the safaris. the scorpios are trouble free & the innova is bullet proof!

to put it bluntly, the safari is not a reliable car. the scorpio is better but even that is not free from small niggling issues. so, the innova is for you.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Diyguy

lmost all electricals have been replaced. It is presently at 170,000 kms and the total maintenance including 3 clutch plate changes, 4 brake pad changes, 1 Turbo change, 4 suspension reworks, Servicing as usual, 3rd Battery, second pair of headlights, 4 stitched art leather cover set, 4 set of tyres, 1 renewed power stearing, I Fuel Pump service, 1 Engine Valves replacement, 1 Rupper pipes replacement, All handles - inside and ouside replacement, 2 Rear tail lights replacement, 2 side step replacements, 2 sets primary and 2 sets bumper foglights replacement, New high power lights, 1 wind shield, 1 set of front inteiror plastics, I condesners, multiple AC services, 2 waterpumps, all relays etc.

Total maintenance till now is less than Rs. 3L - for a 10L vehicle, at 170,000 kms that seems fine at less than Rs. 2/ kms (including the costs due to replacement of parts due to submergence under water.)
Wow, thats a very comprehensive list. I have only had to change in terms of major components in my 10 year old Qualis, the Muffler (twice). Other stuff is basic routine change for belts, brake pads. Nothing ever to do with the Engine, Gear Box, Clutch, Powertrain etc. I did have to change the wiper motor once though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
to put it bluntly, the safari is not a reliable car. the scorpio is better but even that is not free from small niggling issues. so, the innova is for you.
I just wish the Innova were better looking (macho maybe) and less Van'nish, I would have blindly gone for it.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, thats a very comprehensive list. I have only had to change in terms of major components in my 10 year old Qualis, the Muffler (twice). Other stuff is basic routine change for belts, brake pads. Nothing ever to do with the Engine, Gear Box, Clutch, Powertrain etc. I did have to change the wiper motor once though.
See, that is a Toyota owner speaking now.

Quote:
I just wish the Innova were better looking (macho maybe) and less Van'nish, I would have blindly gone for it.
You echoed my thoughts Diyguy. That is why I m trying hard to save money for a Fortuner or a used Prado in excellent condition.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:49   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, that reminds me I too have changed the wiper motors, a couple of window winders and Brake and clutch cylinders.

A lot of what I went through was due to the car being submerged, the point I was making is that It yet did not leave me stranded at critical points, It still with all the replacements is not to expensive to maintain compared to the cost of the vechile, A toyota part is much more expensive in general, if submerged the bills for a toyota would have been much more. I do tend to really abuse the safari and drive it through the bad road patches horribly potholed roads, in third gear at speeds above 60, I would not dare to do that in any other vechile, definately not in the Innova.

It all about what you want to do, the Innova is very reliable, but lets to do and do X, the Safari is not as reliable, and will involve more trips to the service centre than in the Innova, though things are getting better but it lets you do Y, not X. upto 5 passengers you travel in far greater comfort and space in the Safari than in any other vehicle this side of 20L, but for 7 passengers Innova, Scorpio and others are more comfortable.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, thats a very comprehensive list. I have only had to change in terms of major components in my 10 year old Qualis, the Muffler (twice).
diyguy, I'm sorry if you've already posted this earlier but I was just wondering - what is the odometer reading on your Qualis?
Old 14th September 2010, 16:21   #38
Team-BHP Support

diyguy, if your notion of reliability is not having to visit the service center for replacements in between regular services, you will be disappointed, esp if you compare it with a toyota.
Even people who did not have as many problems as I had, were required to get small little things, and some major things now and then, and that too very early in the ownership.
A new safari won't leave you stranded, but you may need to visit the service center for small little stuff, or do some DIY. For example AC fuse may blow(you can change it yourself), power window mechanism may occasionally act up, you can live with it or try to get it fixed, some sensor may go kaput.
Real breakdowns such as turbo failure etc., are pretty rare, and I can recall that only suman probably had a turbo failure at 45000kms or so, and his and a couple others had rear LSD failure.

Among engine Failures, I think only ADC had an oil pump related engine failure, and that too was due to dealer negligence or something similar.

There are other people like Pavan who have used their safari's for 50000km+ and only go to service center for regular service. They have faced absolutely no issues with their vehicles.

So there is quite a bit of luck involved here
Old 14th September 2010, 17:14   #39
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

So there is quite a bit of luck involved here
I think there was a lot of luck involved with owning the really earlier versions.
I own an arguably evolved EX 4x4 2004 TCIC (1,15,000 KM) and have been happy with the experience.

Speaking my mind, yes it does have its fair share of niggles (electric switches/power windows/A/C). Apart from these three things I think I've had a fairly clean run so far.

Now speaking from the heart (usually the reason why a lot buy the Safari), it hasn't stranded me anywhere in my entire ownership experience. I have carried lots of people, lots of people with luggage and also moved homes where the Safari's nose would be pointing up but it got me home and comfortably.

Also, after you see where Tanveer and ADC have gone and importantly come back, I'd trust the Safari to be called a reliable vehicle.

I think a key thing is also whether you are a "point A to point B" type car owner or someone who involves themselves with owning/fussing over their car. Given you are on this forum am assuming you are the latter and hence would surely consider this as a good option.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 14th September 2010, 19:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
There are other people like Pavan who have used their safari's for 50000km+ and only go to service center for regular service. They have faced absolutely no issues with their vehicles.
Like Pavan even I am happy with the years and years of owning a Tata safari.
But alas right now I am putting my Safari for sale on t-bhp.Reason: Going to buy another safari

DIYGUY,

Give Safari a chance at least.Thats all I have to say.

Note from Team-BHP Support Team : That comment against Tsk1979 was uncalled for. Kindly stick to topic of discussion.

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th September 2010 at 20:59. Reason: Reason posted at bottom of the post.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You echoed my thoughts Diyguy. That is why I m trying hard to save money for a Fortuner or a used Prado in excellent condition.
You have talked me into looking this route as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It all about what you want to do, the Innova is very reliable, but lets to do and do X, the Safari is not as reliable, and will involve more trips to the service centre than in the Innova, though things are getting better but it lets you do Y, not X. upto 5 passengers you travel in far greater comfort and space in the Safari than in any other vehicle this side of 20L, but for 7 passengers Innova, Scorpio and others are more comfortable.
It is the visits that I may have to make to the service center that is worrying to me. Gives them more chance to rip you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
diyguy, I'm sorry if you've already posted this earlier but I was just wondering - what is the odometer reading on your Qualis?
I have about 95K under my belt now on the Qualis.

Quote:
diyguy, if your notion of reliability is not having to visit the service center for replacements in between regular services, you will be disappointed, esp if you compare it with a toyota.
Their 4 year warranty is pretty good, atleast gives on peace of mind for that duration. I wish we had the 10 Year 100K Mile warranty like in the US here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Also, after you see where Tanveer and ADC have gone and importantly come back, I'd trust the Safari to be called a reliable vehicle.

I think a key thing is also whether you are a "point A to point B" type car owner or someone who involves themselves with owning/fussing over their car. Given you are on this forum am assuming you are the latter and hence would surely consider this as a good option.
Adi, I actually do not fuss over my car. I do not even take my cars for water washes etc. I am yet to read up on Tanveer's and ADC's exploits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
But alas right now I am putting my Safari for sale on t-bhp.Reason: Going to buy another safari

DIYGUY,

Give Safari a chance at least.Thats all I have to say.
Good for you Alter_Ego. I am still considering it, not really sure what to do. Am also looking at the Xenon actually. Must be my Ego I guess
Old 14th September 2010, 22:14   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Good for you Alter_Ego. I am still considering it, not really sure what to do. Am also looking at the Xenon actually. Must be my Ego I guess

Congratulations,

Let us know what color and what variant you have decided.

Buddy, your reply has it written Safari all over it.

2 T-BHP Safari owner says --- Safari Not good
250 T-BHP Safari owners = Just loving it

Make your choice, not word by mouth.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Note from Team-BHP Support Team : That comment against Tsk1979 was uncalled for. Kindly stick to topic of discussion.
Mobike,
Sorry for being OT,
That was said in a lighter mood.Forgot to add "Just kidding" in the end and thats what confused you I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
2 T-BHP Safari owner says --- Safari Not good
250 T-BHP Safari owners = Just loving it
Pavan just drove home the point.Bang on the nail's head.

Diyguy,
I guess Xenon and safari both share the 2.2 VTT engine.Not sure though.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Congratulations,

Let us know what color and what variant you have decided.

Buddy, your reply has it written Safari all over it.
I am a black person, so black safari is what I am after. I have a budget of about 8-9L in mind. So whatever fits that. On the 2 unhappy owners, I guess there are more than that, but I am yet to TD one. I did visit VST couple of times and noticed the door being stuck and creaking on the display vehicle and realized that, thats the way it is going to be. Got to overlook some of these niggles. The serious ones are what scare me, as mentioned earlier as well.
Old 14th September 2010, 23:12   #45
BHPian

Why is this query on technical forum ?

Anyways, my comments as a to-be Safari owner; the decision is ONLY by heart.

1. You will visit the service center more

2. Your resale value will tank

3. You will hear rattles

4. You will have niggles

But the joy in driving one, PRICELESS. I dont know why, I just didnt feel it in other vehicles I TDed.

Anyways, TML (or the dealer) have already started playing with me. My delivery dont seem to be happening. . I guess, I have to start learning to be patient.

Quote:
I am a black person, so black safari is what I am after. I have a budget of about 8-9L in mind.
Did you see the black one displayed at VST? My wife was bowled over after looking at that.

Last edited by druva : 14th September 2010 at 23:15. Reason: post within 20 mins
Closed Thread