Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 23:17   #46
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Why is this query on technical forum ?

Anyways, my comments as a to-be Safari owner; the decision is ONLY by heart.

1. You will visit the service center more

2. Your resale value will tank

3. You will hear rattles

4. You will have niggles

But the joy in driving one, PRICELESS. I dont know why, I just didnt feel it in other vehicles I TDed.

Anyways, TML (or the dealer) have already started playing with me. My delivery dont seem to be happening. . I guess, I have to start learning to be patient.
Rightly said, and congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am a black person, so black safari is what I am after. I have a budget of about 8-9L in mind. So whatever fits that. On the 2 unhappy owners, I guess there are more than that, but I am yet to TD one. I did visit VST couple of times and noticed the door being stuck and creaking on the display vehicle and realized that, thats the way it is going to be. Got to overlook some of these niggles. The serious ones are what scare me, as mentioned earlier as well.
I bet, you cant find more than 2 unhappy Safari owners on this forum.

But, i can list out 200+ Bhp'ians with Happy Safari's (i have a list to prove)

Let us know about your TD.

All the Best.
PAVAN KADAM is offline  
Old 14th September 2010, 23:41   #47
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I bet, you cant find more than 2 unhappy Safari owners on this forum.

.
I am not sure why you are harping about happiness. The question was asked whether its reliable. the original poster did not ask "Will I be happy with the safari".
For example, I have one of the most unreliable safari's on the forum. Yet, I am one of the happiest owners and have had the most satisfying experience with my safari, much more satisfying and involving than many people who have vehicles which never go to service center except for service.
Along with me, out of those 250 owners, there are many other people who have had major and minor breakdowns. They are also very happy.
But the poster originally asked about reliability, which is an objective question. Will parts fail more frequently than his toyota qualis. The answer is yes. But then, owning a SUV is more satisfying than owning a MUV. So even with more problems, and a less reliable vehicle, he may end up being happier as compared to what he would have been if he buys a innova or something.
So happiness an reliability have some correlation, but not much. For example, if I had gotten a 10L innova, I may never have had to write a ownership thread running into 100 pages, but then it would not mean that I would have been happy. With an innova I could not have seen many places which I did with the safari.
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 14th September 2010, 23:51   #48
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 255
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Did you see the black one displayed at VST? My wife was bowled over after looking at that.
I saw a white one at VST actually. Had been there for like 4 months and the dealer was willing to give an additional 40K or so discount to get it to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But then, owning a SUV is more satisfying than owning a MUV.
This is spot on. I have driven SUVs in the US and they are a great ride!
diyguy is online now  
Old 15th September 2010, 08:54   #49
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am not sure why you are harping about happiness. The question was asked whether its reliable. the original poster did not ask "Will I be happy with the safari".
For example, I have one of the most unreliable safari's on the forum. Yet, I am one of the happiest owners and have had the most satisfying experience with my safari, much more satisfying and involving than many people who have vehicles which never go to service center except for service.
Along with me, out of those 250 owners, there are many other people who have had major and minor breakdowns. They are also very happy.
But the poster originally asked about reliability, which is an objective question. Will parts fail more frequently than his toyota qualis. The answer is yes. But then, owning a SUV is more satisfying than owning a MUV. So even with more problems, and a less reliable vehicle, he may end up being happier as compared to what he would have been if he buys a innova or something.
So happiness an reliability have some correlation, but not much. For example, if I had gotten a 10L innova, I may never have had to write a ownership thread running into 100 pages, but then it would not mean that I would have been happy. With an innova I could not have seen many places which I did with the safari.
Tanveer, i am not harping, sorry if it seems so.

What i meant to say was, there are large number of Safari owners who have reliable machines here on this very forum.

A simple example of Gowda79's 2.2 Safari 80K kms and no niggles or issues, Lukeskywalker's 2.2 ltr and 2 yrs old Safari and My car even though its run less for 4 yrs, the car is been to the service centre only for regular service, like wise many such reliable examples on this forum.

Understand your car is utterly unreliable, but you cant ignore the huge (200+) T-BHP safari owners who have been running the Safari "TROUBLE FREE" why take away the credit from reliable Safari's here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I saw a white one at VST actually. Had been there for like 4 months and the dealer was willing to give an additional 40K or so discount to get it to go.

This is spot on. I have driven SUVs in the US and they are a great ride!
Good, i see you are already there.

Nothing beats the Safari in its Beauty/road presence quotient/ oodles of space and the Comfort.

For more on the Safari, visit the below link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-please.html

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 15th September 2010 at 09:01.
PAVAN KADAM is offline  
Old 15th September 2010, 10:21   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Tanveer, i am not harping, sorry if it seems so.

What i meant to say was, there are large number of Safari owners who have reliable machines here on this very forum.

A simple example of Gowda79's 2.2 Safari 80K kms and no niggles or issues, Lukeskywalker's 2.2 ltr and 2 yrs old Safari and My car even though its run less for 4 yrs, the car is been to the service centre only for regular service, like wise many such reliable examples on this forum.

Understand your car is utterly unreliable, but you cant ignore the huge (200+) T-BHP safari owners who have been running the Safari "TROUBLE FREE" why take away the credit from reliable Safari's here.




Good, i see you are already there.

Nothing beats the Safari in its Beauty/road presence quotient/ oodles of space and the Comfort.

For more on the Safari, visit the below link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-please.html
Pavan, I could not resist from posting here. I don't think that this forum represents the entire Safari owners of India. If you go and speak with a lot of owners of the Safari who have not heard about team-bhp, you will realize that the Safari is not very reliable after all. Most don't have any complains with the engine that Tata provides, but as we all know, an engine in itself does not make a complete vehicle. Tata here cannot keep on ignoring the other parts of the Safari. Also, when I speak for myself, I can tell you that I joined T-BHP while searching for the Safari. I am buying the Safari despite being aware of the "issues". I am willing to negotiate with the TASC for something that my heart desires. These stories of small niggles along with the indifferent attitude of TML to reign in its TASCs is what puts off prospective buyers. Case in point of the indifferent attitude of TML's dealers and bad quality control is of our newest Safari owner lodhra.

About you trying to convince every prospective Safari buyer about the "reliability" of the Safari, I too sometimes believe that its too "over the top".

There are already many threads and posts on T-BHP for the prospective buyer to read. These threads and posts offer the reader both negative and positive reviews. Tanveer's ownership thread for instance, will take the reader through various positives and negatives of owning the beast. Moreoever, his thread will also provide a lesson to the reader on how to deal with the infamous Tata ASC and is in itself a roller coaster. Also, Tanveer is not all negative about his ownership, he himself claims that this vehicle is the best SUV for the price. Tanveer has documented everything about the ownership of his Safari. which is enough to let the reader decide whether he is willing to buy this vehicle or not.

As for me, I am buying the Safari from my heart. I am so in love with the vehicle that I have convinced my father-in-law to get one too. Will put up my thread of ownership of not one but two Safaris in Pearl White soon.
SumitB is offline  
Old 15th September 2010, 10:28   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,676
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default

As some have pointed out... having driven the entire bunch of suv's and muv's in the 8-13 lakh price range available in India, I feel there isnt another that beats the Safari in sheer fun. Yes niggles do exist, poor QC does, more visits to the TASS, higher cost of ownership post warranty, etc.. and reliability isnt that bad. The point is.. when you drive a Safari, its a different feeling compared to other vehicles in its class.

The Safari is the motoring equivalent of the bullet, but much more refined that the 2 wheels. It somehow manages to invoke passion in its owners which is why you see them ranting on this forum... and yes like the bullet, its got quite a fan following in the fairer sex, if that matters to you.
jaysmokesleaves is offline  
Old 15th September 2010, 10:57   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
As some have pointed out... having driven the entire bunch of suv's and muv's in the 8-13 lakh price range available in India, I feel there isnt another that beats the Safari in sheer fun. Yes niggles do exist, poor QC does, more visits to the TASS, higher cost of ownership post warranty, etc.. and reliability isnt that bad. The point is.. when you drive a Safari, its a different feeling compared to other vehicles in its class.

The Safari is the motoring equivalent of the bullet, but much more refined that the 2 wheels. It somehow manages to invoke passion in its owners which is why you see them ranting on this forum... and yes like the bullet, its got quite a fan following in the fairer sex, if that matters to you.
This sums it all up. The Safari is all about the passion it invokes.

Another thing that I have noticed is that a majority of the owners of the Safari are not frustrated by the vehicle in itself. Many believe that their ownership experience could have been much better had the TASC addressed the issues that they have faced in a better manner. I have also spoken to a lot of Scorpio owners and 2 scorpios are there in my own family. Its not that these vehicles don't have issues. Its only that these issues are handled in a much better way by the ASC as compared to the handling of issues reported to the TASC.

Last edited by SumitB : 15th September 2010 at 11:00.
SumitB is offline  
Old 15th September 2010, 11:16   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 1,149 Times
Default

Quote:
A simple example of Gowda79's 2.2 Safari 80K kms and no niggles or issues, Lukeskywalker's 2.2 ltr and 2 yrs old Safari and My car even though its run less for 4 yrs, the car is been to the service centre only for regular service, like wise many such reliable examples on this forum.

Ahem, mine has just completed 1 year and some 30k kms, and yes, I've had my share of visits to the service centre.

Quote:
About you trying to convince every prospective Safari buyer about the "reliability" of the Safari, I too sometimes believe that its too "over the top".
+1 to that, understandable that some are very passionate about the Safari, but to try and impose the same on prospective buyers is not being completely unbiased. Like Sumit says, let the prospective buyers read the huge quantum of information (both technical and otherwise) available about the Safari on this forum and I'm sure they will make an informed choice, I would refrain from egging them on.
Lukeskywalker is offline  
Old 15th September 2010, 11:56   #54
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
...I am a black person, so black safari is what I am after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
... Did you see the black one displayed at VST? My wife was bowled over after looking at that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
... its got quite a fan following in the fairer sex...
Can you resist this black beauty

Tata Safari - A Reliable Choice?-img_1384-large.jpg

Last edited by bj96 : 15th September 2010 at 11:58. Reason: minor text update
bj96 is offline  
Old 15th September 2010, 12:02   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Can you resist this black beauty

Attachment 424010
Not being able to resist is where "passion" comes in. The Safari "hits" the person's heart. It is the equivalent of a Ferrari to us, Indians. Most of whom, cannot even dream about owning the Ferrari! So we make do with the Safari.
SumitB is offline  
Old 15th September 2010, 12:05   #56
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 255
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Nothing beats the Safari in its Beauty/road presence quotient/ oodles of space and the Comfort.

For more on the Safari, visit the below link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-please.html
Thats an interesting read. Nice photo collection and ownership pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
About you trying to convince every prospective Safari buyer about the "reliability" of the Safari, I too sometimes believe that its too "over the top".

As for me, I am buying the Safari from my heart. I am so in love with the vehicle that I have convinced my father-in-law to get one too. Will put up my thread of ownership of not one but two Safaris in Pearl White soon.
I am doing my research before buying, but I was certainly floored by the display model, to be honest. No TD yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The Safari is the motoring equivalent of the bullet, but much more refined that the 2 wheels. It somehow manages to invoke passion in its owners which is why you see them ranting on this forum... and yes like the bullet, its got quite a fan following in the fairer sex, if that matters to you.
I should certainly get the Safari then

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
This sums it all up. The Safari is all about the passion it invokes.

Another thing that I have noticed is that a majority of the owners of the Safari are not frustrated by the vehicle in itself. Many believe that their ownership experience could have been much better had the TASC addressed the issues that they have faced in a better manner. I have also spoken to a lot of Scorpio owners and 2 scorpios are there in my own family. Its not that these vehicles don't have issues. Its only that these issues are handled in a much better way by the ASC as compared to the handling of issues reported to the TASC.
I have had my share of issues with the Toyota Service Center as well. Recent one was a fuse blown in the center blower for which they were recommending complete change of the unit with a cost of about 30K. They also dont pay attention to all your complaints/issues and always leave a couple out. I had to get them to come home to fix some stuff for me because they missed it during the service time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Like Sumit says, let the prospective buyers read the huge quantum of information (both technical and otherwise) available about the Safari on this forum and I'm sure they will make an informed choice, I would refrain from egging them on.
This is one reason I like this forum and respect the views I read here. Its an amazing ocean of information and very well moderated, I must say.
diyguy is online now  
Old 15th September 2010, 13:44   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

@ diyguy: Buddy, there are many who are hardcore fans of the safari. To be frank, even i was. But it dint take me long enough to realize that something was amiss, and that something was peace of mind.

I would strongly ask you to think properly and atleast do a proper & thorough PDI before you take the delivery of your safari, if you are buying one. All the heart & soul thingy vanishes in thin air when your beloved vehicle spends more time with the A.S.S guys than with you.

I feel its a matter of pure luck when you are buying a safari. If you are lucky, you will get a good, absolutely reliable vehicle. we have lot of safari owners in this forum who have never had any trouble or issue with their safari. and if you are unlucky, you know what...
raj_5004 is offline  
Old 15th September 2010, 14:57   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ diyguy: Buddy, there are many who are hardcore fans of the safari. To be frank, even i was. But it dint take me long enough to realize that something was amiss, and that something was peace of mind.
Precisely my view and experience too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
All the heart & soul thingy vanishes in thin air when your beloved vehicle spends more time with the A.S.S guys than with you. I feel its a matter of pure luck when you are buying a safari. If you are lucky, you will get a good, absolutely reliable vehicle. we have lot of safari owners in this forum who have never had any trouble or issue with their safari. and if you are unlucky, you know what...
And I wouldn't trust "pure luck" when buying a vehicle. I d rather go by what the market goes by. Also, since you seen all the photos of the Safari, I would also recommend read through the Safari issues thread, a very detailed one too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ns-thread.html
n.devdath is online now  
Old 15th September 2010, 15:04   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I would also recommend read through the Safari issues thread, a very detailed one too.
From OP's first post on this thread -
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
After reading of the issues in new Safaris on this thread, I am wondering if Tata engines are worth taking a risk on. Reading a lot of issues on oil leaks, TCIC issues, stopping suddenly, need to stop vehicle when run for a few hours etc.
suman is offline  
Old 15th September 2010, 20:55   #60
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ diyguy: Buddy, there are many who are hardcore fans of the safari. To be frank, even i was. But it dint take me long enough to realize that something was amiss, and that something was peace of mind.

I would strongly ask you to think properly and atleast do a proper & thorough PDI before you take the delivery of your safari, if you are buying one. All the heart & soul thingy vanishes in thin air when your beloved vehicle spends more time with the A.S.S guys than with you.

I feel its a matter of pure luck when you are buying a safari. If you are lucky, you will get a good, absolutely reliable vehicle. we have lot of safari owners in this forum who have never had any trouble or issue with their safari. and if you are unlucky, you know what...
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Precisely my view and experience too.



And I wouldn't trust "pure luck" when buying a vehicle. I d rather go by what the market goes by. Also, since you seen all the photos of the Safari, I would also recommend read through the Safari issues thread, a very detailed one too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ns-thread.html
How can someone be so erratic in their reply.

How do you call it pure luck, on what basis........?

Can i put it this way, similar to the Safari issues, we have 4 MAJOR issues by T-BHP Scorpio members , do we guys go there and create a havoc.... NO.

One guy has an issue here with his Safari and it becomes a National issue.

Product bashing starts at the drop of a hat, when the word Safari surfaces on the forum.

We have a limited 100+ Scorpio owners on T-BHP.

Do you think the 250+ Safari owners are fools, lets get real.

This thread is going nowhere, and i am out of here for good.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 15th September 2010 at 20:57.
PAVAN KADAM is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd choice: Brand new Innova, Bolero, Honda City, Linea, Safari or Used Pajero trammway What Car? 10 13th September 2014 10:12
Tata Safari Dicor LX 4 X 2 or Safari Dicor EX 4 x 2 Digitalmafia SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 55 1st June 2009 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks