Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th September 2010, 12:20   #1
BHPian

Default Swift VDi Caster problem

Hello experts,

I own a 8 months old Swift VDi driven past 15,000 "thrilling" Kms!! I have enjoyed every bit of my baby.

She has a problem now in her alignment. Sometime back I met with an accident on the Mumbai-Pune e-way. The Front right wheel banged a divider when a Volvo suddenly cut lane to over take a vehicle ahead of it and my poor baby was on its right side.

Damages: :(
a) Side wall burst - a month old Michellin Xm1+
b) Bent - Rim
c) Bent - Tie rod
d) and minor damage to the bumper and fender.

I'm going on a long drive from Pune to my village in Sindhudurg (Konkan) for ganesh festival.

Did the Wheel alignment @ Darshan tires in Pune. Excellent service and highly recommended.

Wheels alignment report:
Front Axle
Caster - Specified Range
Left = Right = 5 deg 06' / +2 deg 00' - 2 deg 00'

My cars reading = Left 5 deg 04' - Right 4 deg 10'

The mechanic told me the right hand Front wheel is behind the left front wheel by approx 1 cm.

He asked me to get the frame pulled from a garage. He recommended Bosche service center in Pune.

I asked him how is it done. He said they tie a chain to the frame and then pull car in reverse. Sound scary to me

Experts please advice how i get this fixed or is the above th right and safe way to do it.

The maruti service center advised me to get the entire frame replaced which is costly fix.

Thanks & Regards.
samigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 17:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Maruti guys asked you to replace the 'apron' right ?

Navneet has a Car - O - Liner as far as I know and car frame, accident vehicles are measured and set right.

Take a second opinion from another maruti service center.

Yes fixing an apron is an expensive and time consuming job.
humyum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 21:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Yes fixing an apron is an expensive and time consuming job.
and also destroys the "originality" of the vehicle
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 21:20   #4
BHPian

repairing the chassis by pulling forward is best at this moment, since it costs fraction compared to entire apron replacement, as other members said, replacing apron will make car lose its originality, so my advise is to first try repairing by pulling, and see the outcome by driving and balancing the wheels.

But i suggest you to do it in hi tech facility which has all facility to pull the frame and an experienced tinker who had handled this before.
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 21:51   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The Maruti guys asked you to replace the 'apron' right ? Navneet has a Car-O-Liner as far as I know and car frame, accident vehicles are measured and set right.
Hi HumYum, are you sure the Swift has an "apron" like in older cars ? If I remember correct in the newers cars like the Swift & the A-Star, the lower A-arm is attached to a front sub-frame, which in turn is bolted to the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samigo View Post
The mechanic told me the right hand Front wheel is behind the left front wheel by approx 1 cm. He asked me to get the frame pulled from a garage.
Hi Samigo, I suggest you take your car to a good A.S.S which can handle chassis issues. Confirm that the issue is indeed present & is with the chassis & not the front sub-frame (the chassis has several points on it & the distances between these points can be measured & compared against standard values to determine if the chassis is bent or not). A bent front sub-frame would be a much easier fix than a bent chassis.

I can post pics from the parts-catalog & the service-manual for reference if you think it would help.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 00:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

First please check if its the case. Park the car on plain surface without any load and steering straight. If your GF/Wife is inside, pull her out!

Measure the distance between the mudflap and tyre with your fingers. And note the difference.

pulling with a chain is a crude way of doing it and not recommended at all, It may damage your trailing arm and may also rip the axle boot.

There are two way to correct this.
1. Humyum mentioned above. Change of Apron (car's cheek where fender etc is stuck to). This part will cost you about 2600 and Believe me if the foreman is good it will be good as new. Problem the labour will be about 2.5k. The engine needs to be lowered. he old panel is cut and apron is installed. Its a three/four day job, as its needs painting an sealing too.

2. You will need a good foreman with lot of patience and precession. Its needs heating and pulling the hinge where the trailing arm fits. This will be about Rs. 1200 job. Its half a day job.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 01:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention in my last post, I did not see a 'lower arm' being mentioned anywhere in your list of items bent, Did u actually check if its bent or not ?

Might be a simple case of a bent lower arm rather than anything major.

Suggest you take it to a reputed Maruti dealer and get it checked.
humyum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 20:50   #8
BHPian

Sorry guys, I was out of town as mentioned earlier. I drove the vehicle to my village and back totalling 1000 Kms without repairing the caster problem.

A bit more background. When I met with the accident I took the vehicle to Autovista at Kalina workshop in mumbai. I had also purchased the vehicle from this dealer.

They told me to replace the entire frame and I don't remember if they said
"apron". They did show me the misalignment under the vehicle. I think they said sub-frame was pushed back on the right side due to the impact. Due to this the left wheel moves quicker than the right wheel making the vehicle move towards the right.

I had naturally asked them if they can pull it to fix and they said no. They asked me to keep the vehicle for 2-3 weeks for which i was not ready.

The Bosch service center guys said they can repair it by pulling the frame.

Bosch - Bosch Car Service (BCS)

Will check this weekend.

Regards,
Sam
samigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 21:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samigo View Post
Hello experts,

I own a 8 months old Swift VDi driven past 15,000 "thrilling" Kms!! I have enjoyed every bit of my baby.

She has a problem now in her alignment. Sometime back I met with an accident on the Mumbai-Pune e-way. The Front right wheel banged a divider when a Volvo suddenly cut lane to over take a vehicle ahead of it and my poor baby was on its right side.

Damages: :(
a) Side wall burst - a month old Michellin Xm1+
b) Bent - Rim
c) Bent - Tie rod
d) and minor damage to the bumper and fender.

I'm going on a long drive from Pune to my village in Sindhudurg (Konkan) for ganesh festival.

Did the Wheel alignment @ Darshan tires in Pune. Excellent service and highly recommended.

Wheels alignment report:
Front Axle
Caster - Specified Range
Left = Right = 5 deg 06' / +2 deg 00' - 2 deg 00'

My cars reading = Left 5 deg 04' - Right 4 deg 10'

The mechanic told me the right hand Front wheel is behind the left front wheel by approx 1 cm.

He asked me to get the frame pulled from a garage. He recommended Bosche service center in Pune.

I asked him how is it done. He said they tie a chain to the frame and then pull car in reverse. Sound scary to me

Experts please advice how i get this fixed or is the above th right and safe way to do it.

The maruti service center advised me to get the entire frame replaced which is costly fix.

Thanks & Regards.

Nothing "scary" there. Even cars in the D segment have body aligners which work on pretty much the same principle.

Anything to set the body / chasis in alignment would involve stretching - so do not be alarmed, as long as it is being done in a decent garage with a reputation.

Hope it works out for you...

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 20th September 2010 at 21:14.
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote