Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 13:45   #1
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Unhappy Car's speed and RPM value discrepancy!

Hey fellow BHPians!

This may (or may not) sound like paranoia to you, but I have been noticing some discrepancy with the speed of the car and the value in the tachometer. The car in question is Maruti Esteem MPFI, 2007 model.

Till a few months back, in 3rd gear the speed and RPM unflinchingly used to be 40Km/1500 respectively and in 4th gear, they were 60Km/1500 respectively. Now the RPM has increased for the same speeds. Instead of 1500, it sometimes goes to 1800 and very few times stays at 1500. I've watched this very closely, and the figures are correct. My driving style hasn't changed wee bit and the car get serviced at regular intervals.

Now my question: Is there something wrong with the gearbox? Or anything going wrong somewhere else? Or is it simply my paranoia?
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 13:56   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Abhinav, this could be a sign of clutch slippage.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 14:08   #3
BHPian
 
aroop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 125
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Even I think its a case of slipping clutch.

My wagon R had this problem till I got the clutch changed.

Last edited by aroop : 17th September 2010 at 14:10.
aroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 14:26   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 24
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Seems like a worn out clutch. How may KMs has your car done so far? Another test you could do is to floor the gas pedal in 4th or 5 th gear at around 30-40 kmph speed and see if your RPM spikes up without corresponding acceleration of the car. Please do this only on a road that does not have traffic. If you are not sure visit your car mechanic.
427Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 14:31   #5
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Abhinav, this could be a sign of clutch slippage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Even I think its a case of slipping clutch.

My wagon R had this problem till I got the clutch changed.
Thanks Suman Da and aroop! So I guess it's time to get the pressure plate & clutch checked. One curious thing though, I'd done the slippage test (handbrake on, 2nd gear engaged and slowly lift the clutch) and the engine got killed immediately.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 14:44   #6
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Cubes View Post
Seems like a worn out clutch. How may KMs has your car done so far? Another test you could do is to floor the gas pedal in 4th or 5 th gear at around 30-40 kmph speed and see if your RPM spikes up without corresponding acceleration of the car. Please do this only on a road that does not have traffic. If you are not sure visit your car mechanic.
The car's only done ~40K Km, but it's been through lotta rough & tough places in HP, UK & Ladakh. Also I had to get the clutch plate changed due to a misadventure in Ladakh.

I'll do the test that you've suggested tonight on an empty road and will let you know the results.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 14:45   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

It could also be a tacho or speedo error due to wear.

If a clutch reaches a point where it slips at 1500rpm while cruising, you would prob have a really tough time getting the car to move from a standing start.

So get the tacho/speedo checked first.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 17th September 2010 at 14:48.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 15:17   #8
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It could also be a tacho or speedo error due to wear.

If a clutch reaches a point where it slips at 1500rpm while cruising, you would prob have a really tough time getting the car to move from a standing start.

So get the tacho/speedo checked first.

Shan2nu
Interesting! All the more, cause I have never had any problems with a standing start, even on the steep inclines of Jalori Jot. So would a competent mechanic be able to check them, or a visit to MASS is warranted?

Last edited by lordofgondor : 17th September 2010 at 15:18.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 16:07   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Interesting! All the more, cause I have never had any problems with a standing start, even on the steep inclines of Jalori Jot. So would a competent mechanic be able to check them, or a visit to MASS is warranted?
Take you car to MASS and get an OBD check done. They will compare the actual engine revvs to the one shown on the tacho meter. If you get an accurate reading, then take the car for a spin and do the same for the speedo.



Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 20:50   #10
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Take you car to MASS and get an OBD check done. They will compare the actual engine revvs to the one shown on the tacho meter. If you get an accurate reading, then take the car for a spin and do the same for the speedo.

Shan2nu
Thanks for the info buddy! The video depicts exactly what I am seeing with my car. Time to fix up a timing with the MASS folks.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discrepancy in Life time Road Tax % in Karnataka? kamalgaur The Indian Car Scene 20 21st June 2016 16:29
Is Fuel efficiency strictly a function of RPM or is it speed+gear+RPM? Astleviz Technical Stuff 54 25th November 2011 09:22
IDV value for a new car - Only 95% of ex-showroom value? kuttapan The Indian Car Scene 9 21st July 2009 15:27
The value for money SX4 now even more value for money-I map navigator free ram_hyundai The Indian Car Scene 20 23rd October 2008 11:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks