Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 19th September 2010, 20:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Palio Stile MJD -- Technical Info needed on an Engine Part(Changed under warranty)

My Palio!
Today I bought a 2008 Dec Palio Stile MJD, run 28300kms, owned by a well known person in IT field. The car is fab and maintained very well.

Warranty Claim:
According to the owner, the only part changed under warranty was a small part( lets refer to this part as ABC) near engine. It's a funnel like part where the engine oil is filled and has a yellow cap. The size of the part is around one foot.

Issue with the part was:
Just last week the owner noticed engine oil leaking when the car was parked. He also noticed that the oil was mixed with radiator coolant. He then called the Prerana Motors(TASS) guys to his Villa to tow the car.

After two days the car was returned with this part-ABC changed under warranty and also the coolant tank. New engine oil and Coolant was put.

My doubt is:
With the failure of this particular engine part-ABC, how come the engine oil got mixed with coolant??! Would it have caused any harm to the engine?

P.S: The owner sold the car not cos of any problem. The car was lying unused as his son left for USA. So he sold it.

EDIT: Experts, I need to know the answer very quickly. The deal is almost done. I need to feel satisfied that the car is a good one. Thats the reason.

- Is this something I should be concerned about? What do you guys think might have happened here?
- Since it was done under warranty, can I feel rest assured that nothing with engine got screwed up?
- He said it has additional warranty too. What is he default warranty on the Palio and how many years is the extended warranty?

Some pics of part-ABC for reference.

Part-ABC marked with arrow.
Name:  Fiat_Grande_Punto_Peted.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  43.6 KB
My Palio
Palio Stile MJD -- Technical Info needed on an Engine Part(Changed under warranty)-spm_a0086.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 19th September 2010 at 20:31.
Old 19th September 2010, 22:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

The part you have marked in the photo is the point where the oil filter is replaced and new oil filled in. So if engine oil was leaking, it may make sense to replace it. The coolant tank is some distance away from the oil filler, so either both parts failing is a co-incidence or have a similar cause.

I think its pointless to speculate without knowing the conditions in which it was caused. Since the car was not being used, it is a good idea to have got new oil and new coolant, anyway. If all systems are go, don't worry. Just keep your eyes and ears open.
Old 19th September 2010, 22:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Coolant and oil, filter was indeed replaced. Car was back from service a few days ago. I test drove the car for 2-3 kilomters and it did sound normal to me. Anything else I need to keep an eye on? Since its still under warranty and has extended warranty, is it a good idea to pick the car if everything is normal.

What else could have caused the issue. I have emailed the owner to gather more details on exactly what happened.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

If oil is ingressed with coolant then the problem could also be due to faulty gasket in the engine like head gasket. Check up if coolant is entering again. Look for drop in coolant level also.

It is better if you could find out about prior incidence of engine overheating due to any cooling system defect.

Why not try at the same TASS.

Changing of oil and coolant is no way a solution unless someone has inadvertantly poured coolant through the oil filler.

There may not be any noticable abnormality immediately, but is likely to cause serious problems to the engine. But it is better to get the engine checked before finalizing the deal.

By the way, is it that you are settling for pre-owned palio because the exotic red is unlikely to be delivered?

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th September 2010 at 23:10. Reason: correction
Old 19th September 2010, 23:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
If oil is ingressed with coolant then the problem could also be due to faulty gasket in the engine like head gasket. Check up if coolant is entering again. Look for drop in coolant level also.

It is better if you could find out about prior incidence of engine overheating due to any cooling system defect.

Why not try at the same TASS.

By the way, is it that you are settling for pre-owned palio because the exotic red is unlikely to be delivered?

Will try and check on these things. Also planning to call up TASS and check what all was done on the car. The owner stays way too far away from TASS or the city. May not be feasible to take the car to TASS to check up.

Yes, this was my plan B. Palio booking is still on. Really thankful for Fiat to give the option of 49k refund and still retain the booking. I still hope a new Palio arrives. I know I will have a problem. I see it as a good problem to land in to . This car will be parted if Fiat indeed delivers the new one.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. Do it immediately. You should not lose money during this short ownership period or when you sell it when the new one arrives.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:26   #7
BANNED

Can any Palio Stile owners tell me where exactly is the oil filter placed in an MJD engine?

funkykar: Go to the TASS, take a print of the service history and consult some technical person.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Hello Guys,

I just spoke to the service engineer who handled this Palio during the service/repair.

He says the part name is Oil Cooler. He explained saying only that part had malfunctioned due to which the oil and coolant was mixed. He assured us that there was no harm caused to the engine.

The replaced part(oil cooler) is lying in the boot of my car.

EDIT: Its in the boot of the car, but car not yet with me . Will come home by weekend

Last edited by funkykar : 20th September 2010 at 12:38.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Heads up! Just for double verification, I visited the service station where this car has been serviced and found everything to be fine. The engine oil cooler was replaced and the guy who worked on the issue clearly told me there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about. If you are buying the car, CLOSE your EYES and buy. Car is a gem. Car was driven only by the owner every single kilometer. He also told this car has received special attention every time since the owner is a close friend of the Managing Director of Prerana motors and also a a consultant for TATA
Old 20th September 2010, 20:07   #10
BHPian

Karthik,

Congrats on the Palio MJD. So you will be an owner of 2 Palios in October
Old 20th September 2010, 21:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Karthik,

Congrats on the Palio MJD. So you will be an owner of 2 Palios in October

Thanks!! I am looking forward for this trouble. I will decide which one to keep and which one to part. My guess is, either way it will go to some one close to me or atleast a PUG'er.

The purpose of this thread is met. I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for the support and comments and suggestions. Will request mods to close this thread.

I will create an ownership thread in a couple of days

Note from Mod: Thread closed on OP request. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 20th September 2010 at 21:20. Reason: Adding closure note. Thanks
Closed Thread