Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th October 2010, 18:00   #1
BHPian

Default Santro radiator fuse keeps blowing randomly.

My Santro is 3 yr old and done about 35k km. I have extended warranty for the 3rd and 4th yr.

Last week, on Monday while going to office with A/c on medium, the air flowing suddenly became warm and there was no cooling. The A/c had been on for 25 min and was cooling fine before. Realized the temperature needle is at 75%, so pulled over and turned the car off. The 30Amp RAD fuse was blown. Luckily I got a replacement nearby and the radiator fan came to life.
Continued to office and returned home in the evening without any issue. At home I check and the fuse was fine and radiator fan was working. Next day didnít use the car for office travel but removed it in the night after 10 for a short drive. Fan continued to work just fine.
On Wednesday took the car to office and again, near the same stretch, the A/c started blowing warm air and the temp needle started rising. Same issue, RAD fuse had blown. This time I used the power window fuse, also 30amp and continued further to office.
Parked the car home in the evening and the replacement fuse was fine. Fan was working and the temp needle was in the normal position.
Couldnít use the car for 3 days.
Yesterday again, just the check I removed the car in the night for a drive and drove a good 15 km before the fuse was blown again. But this time the A/c was not on, was nice and cool in the night.

Summary Ė
First 2 times the fuse blew was in the 10 am high heat, with the A/c on 3.
Third time the outside temp was cool and the A/c was not being used.
The fuse doesnít blow immediately on turning the car on, or the A/c.
Outside temp doesnít seem to be a factor as the fuse blew twice when it was really hot and once when it was pleasant.

Where could the problem be? I know itís a electrical short somewhere, but in what part? Radiator fan or the A/c unit that also controls the radiator fan or something else.

Please help with your suggestions. Again the car is in extended warranty and I have a 16th Oct Saturday appointment with ASC.
another quetion, how do i convey / prove this at the ASC, say the new fuse doen't blow when iam there.

UM
UniqueMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 18:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Check the radiator fan wiring first, leave the engine running and wait for the radiator fan to kick in. Let the fan run couple of times/cycles and see if the fuse is holding. If not it might be a sign of actual fan shorting/failing. Happened to me in my Swift and had to replace the fan unit, it was covered under warranty.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 15:54   #3
BHPian

@Jaggu,

The wiring looks fine according to a local mech.
After the fuse was changed twice, the car was kept at idle for quite some time and the radiator fan goes through its on/off cycle properly. The fuse doesn’t blow immediately on turning the car on and the fan too comes on when the temp needle comes to 45%.
But then the fuse will blow randomly.

Will have to see how the ASC service goes. The biggest fear is ASC not agreeing that its a electrical fan/etc problem and just try to change the fuse.

UM
Old 18th October 2010, 11:58   #4
BHPian

Default Problem solved.

Radiator fan was replaced under extended warranty.
total charge was 130 for 3, 30amp fuses and 0 labor.

got to love this extended warranty.

UM