Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th December 2005, 02:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default B Esteem

we have heard about e zens as well as b zens.they turn out to be amazing on track but arent really practicle and cannot be used daily.so they either have to be detuned or the mods have to be swapped.so what about a b esteem ?? the torque it produces will obiously be more than that of an esteem but at the same time due to the hevier weight (compared the zen) wont really have to be detuned that much and can also be used daily.it would be great if all the techies add their point of views and what they think of it.im sure its possible but the question is , is it worth it ?? and also wht hp and torque figures are we looking at.and also what are the other things that will have to be changed to handle the increase in power(tyres, suspension) and which gear box will we have to use.The esteems or the balenos ??

rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2005, 03:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Esteem is 875kg and Baleno is somewhere around 950kg so I dont know if you are going to see a huge advantage. It will definetly overwhelm the chassis.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2005, 05:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

U can get the suspension used on track esteems. It costs over a lakh for a full set. The b-esteem would make sense if the cost and reliability is equal to a used Honda city 1.5. I'm now finding 2000 OHC type 2s for 3.5 lakhs. Now, compare that with the cost of a b esteem(donor esteem, baleno engine, labour, extra mods needed) and the reliabilty. Is it worth it?? This answer is subjective.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2005, 08:58   #4
BHPian

B Zen is driveable on a daily basis. There is no such problem. It does not have to be detuned and if you have the correct suspension set up and good brakes with good tyres you have no problems as such!
z klasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2005, 10:12   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

b-zen is drivable..but what u need to realise is that u will need an upgradation of brakes,tyres,suspension,strenghtening the chassi and tons of other things..whats more important is the enormous torque u get from the baleno engine that makes driving in the city in a zen more than a piece of cake..so when ur on a cruise mode u can still expect a mileage of 18kmpl atleast..but when u unleash the throttle there is some serious power at hand and more importanly its way more important to learn to handle that kind of power on a zen..bcoz the bhp/tonne is enormous..

same is the case on the esteem but if u can live with the outdated and bland looks of the esteem then nothing like it...actually ur handling could improve slightly when compared to the zen..in the end its for u take a call on..

is it practicle for daily use ??
ans: yes..
but remember with that much power we need to more responsible on the road..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2005, 11:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Please remember instead of an Esteem, you can always pick up a Maruti 1000 for about 50,000, thus bringing down your costs dramatically. The chassis is the same as the INRC 1400 class, so it will be able to handle the power well enough.

But, as Mclaren said, you have to be a lot more careful and responsible while driving such cars.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2005, 18:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Esteem is 875kg and Baleno is somewhere around 950kg so I dont know if you are going to see a huge advantage. It will definetly overwhelm the chassis.
yea i guess your right but i dont want a small car like a zen.i want a big=powerfull and fast car but at the same time dont want it to be the fastest on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
U can get the suspension used on track esteems. It costs over a lakh for a full set. The b-esteem would make sense if the cost and reliability is equal to a used Honda city 1.5. I'm now finding 2000 OHC type 2s for 3.5 lakhs. Now, compare that with the cost of a b esteem(donor esteem, baleno engine, labour, extra mods needed) and the reliabilty. Is it worth it?? This answer is subjective.
how exactly will that suspension benefit ??
the cost will definitly be less than a honda (4 lakh approx).i cant say much about the reliability obiously cause this thought has just entered my mind and im still thinking over it.

Rev

Last edited by revtech : 10th December 2005 at 19:07.
Old 10th December 2005, 19:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Please remember instead of an Esteem, you can always pick up a Maruti 1000 for about 50,000, thus bringing down your costs dramatically. The chassis is the same as the INRC 1400 class, so it will be able to handle the power well enough.
actually viper i have an esteem in mind.i think its a 1997 model.condition is decent.one minor accident in the rear.otherwise everything is great.should be able to get that for 75- 90k.

Rev

Last edited by revtech : 10th December 2005 at 19:27.
Old 11th December 2005, 16:53   #9
BHPian

hey whts the difference btwn esteem chassis nd 1000 chassis??...is there any diff in design?
angelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey whts the difference btwn esteem chassis nd 1000 chassis??...is there any diff in design?
not much difference, the 1000 engine mounts and the esteem are different, all you need is the esteem engine mounts, mid shaft and drive shafts.everything else is a bolt on. you will need to use an esteems ignition coil too.

cheers
Domnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2005, 16:57   #11

How would the a 1300 or 1500 cc 4AGE do? I might be getting some cash in about 2 months and interested in getting something nice, and a 4age would be a lot easier to get than baleno engine.

Just out of curiosity what size of engine is the max for an esteem? 7age maybe.
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote