Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th November 2010, 11:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Exclamation Clicking sound from Peted Swift LDi engine after MASS service at 77K

Hi Guys,

I am driving my friend' Swift LDi (June 2007) in Bangalore for the past 7 months. The car has done 77000KMs and has the following modifications under the hood.

Pete's tuning box - Fitted at around 14000KMs
Greens CAI

The car is running a brand new clutch which was done by Raghav (Ignite, Chennai) at around 67000KMs.

Around 2 weeks back, the service light used to glow at times during cold starts in the morning. I read from Jaggu's thread that this maybe because of a weak battery. The light used to go off, if the car run for sometime.

Except for the light, there was no other issue. Yesterday, I gave the car for service at Pratham as it was due for the 5K regular service. The car had clocked 77K and the last service was done at 72K. the car was picked up by their driver from my office parking lot. The fuel level was just above the 'E' mark. The service adviser, Mr. Prabakar told me the engine oil which was changed last time is still good and will need a change only at 82K.

Rest of the things were all running fine and they told me that the battery is due for change. They swapped the existing Exide battery with a service battery and the IP lights went off. I inquired for a new battery and they gave me a quote for 8.4K. I had seen in Jaggu' thread that a Amaron battery was 7.4K and Pratham didn't have it. so I asked them not to change it for the time being and they were ready to return the car for a total bill of 1.5K.

The driver dropped the car at the my office parking lot at around 6PM and asked me to take a test drive. I started the car and heard a clicking noise from the engine room. It was loud and I switched it off immediately and the driver rang the service adviser. He asked the driver to take the vehicle back and I told them not to drive the car back. The car was then towed back to the workshop after a long wait and I too went into the service area with mechanics and SA. As the car was low on fuel, they filled it up with 5 liters of Diesel. They started the car again and the sound was still there, but this time, it was much higher. I don't know whether I felt it so as the service area was empty and absolutely silent. They had no clue as to what the problem was. They told me that they will check the car the next day as it was time for them to shut. I asked them not to touch anything till I reach there the next day.

I rang Raghav from Ignite (Chennai) in the meanwhile and he says there can be 2 reasons. If they have accidentally put petrol in the engine or if water has gone inside the engine. I am suspecting the later as Pratham had washed the engine room clean. There is a chance that water may have gone in through the CAI if not dried properly.

I went there again today and they asked me to sign a new job card. I declined and told them that the car developed the problem in their custody and I never took the delivery after yesterday' service.

I quizzed the driver who drove the car and he is assuring me that there was no sound at all from the engine after service. He tells me if there was any sort of sound, he wouldn't have touched the car.

The Pete' box is connected to the engine still.

I really don't know what to do. The sound is loud and looks bad. It is similar to the sound which comes from a RX100 when the piston ring fails. But in this case, much more louder and in a higher pitch.

Guys Please help!
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 22:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Deet first check the airfilter and rule out the water getting in through the CAI. If this issue is ruled out, check on the petrol instead of diesel, chances are slim. Hope and pray, they have not topped up with petrol. Whatever it may be, do not accept the car without they resolving the issue.

But before anything double check if the pump is clean and has not pulled in air.

If you want to escalate, use the regional service advisor from MUL. Number will be mentioned at the A.S.S reception, if not request them for the same. Talk to him and explain the issue and most important do not lose your cool, be polite but be very assertive. If its a service mistake, they have to sort it out.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th November 2010 at 10:17.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 21:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Jaggu for the reply.

Problem rectified. MASS claims it was because of the Pete's box. They told me they injectors were not giving enough fuel and this resulted in the engine knocking and thus the clicking sound. They disconnected the Pete's box and the sound was gone.

I checked the idling and there is no other unwanted noise from the engine bay. I took a TD as well and the engine felt fine. However, the absence of the box is telling. The engine doesn’t feel as free revving as before. Now it requires a general dose of the accelerator for the revs to rise. And even then, the engine feels restricted. There is no Tacho in the car as its a LDi. so I can only sense the difference. Maybe the car and I got used to box so much.

However, I could sense a slight knocking sound when pulling in second gear after crossing a speed breaker while coming back home. One can hear it when all the windows are pulled up, both the blower/ stereo are off and its reasonably quiet surroundings. I am going back to MASS tomorrow to get that sorted.

I didn't have the heart to put the box back in validate the MASS claims. However, the Pete's connector doesn’t look good. The socket pin has a number of colored wires attached to it and one of wires(a black one) looks detached. Maybe that is the reason. I need to get the box checked by Hot tracks (the dealer we bought it from or Petes at Cochin). If indeed the connector is at fault, maybe the wire was cut when MASS cleaned the engine bay. I will keep you all posted.

Also changed the Exide for a new all 'green' SF battery. The starter motor goes hyper on each crank and car starts eagerly now.

Last edited by deetjohn : 10th November 2010 at 21:33.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Oh thats good news, yes the misplaced wire might be the culprit. Instead of gasing down, feel the engine and give throttle according to the engine response, you will have more fun and power driving the DDiS in stock form then

The slight knocking sound you refer is normal, and is there in almost all the cars.
Old 12th November 2010, 19:05   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking Good news!

I hadn't used the car till yesterday evening. I took it for a drive and realized the slight knocking sound from the engine bay in second gear had spread to other gears as well depending on the engine loads/ rpm.

Took the car to Pratham today to check on it. The SA fled the scene after catching the light of me in the car. I rang him on his mobile and it was engaged as usual. I parked the car in front of the car wash area and stood there. The SM came by and I explained everything to him. He drove the car in their premise along with me. We rolled up all windows and we both could hear the knocking sound from the engine bay. He kept the trunk open, instructed a mechanic to come by and look into the engine room. The engine was running, handbrake engaged, first gear on and the clutch was released slowly.

And here it comes, the nasty sound again. Bangalore was very hot today and I knew I was sweating not because of the raging sun. The mechanic tapped on the window and the SM rolled down the windows. He looked rather excited and rambled something to the SM. The SM looked me and told me with a smile. "It's the horn; the horn is making all the ruckus". I was baffled.

The car had bosch aftermarket horns as the stock LDi horn sounds as if a kitten is being tortured in the engine bay to make sound. The twin horns sit on a steel bar bolted to a clamp provided in the engine compartment. Pratham found the clamp to be sheered when the car was given for service. Those brilliant fellows bolted the steel bar carrying the horn on to the engine lift hook; yeah! the engine lift hook. So when the engine vibrated under certain loads, the steel bar along with the horns resonated away to glory which I mistook for engine knocking.

I had imagined the worst and I couldn't be more happier and was gleaming. I asked them to remove the bar with the horns and bingo, the oil burner was sounding rather nice. I was feeling so glad that I gave the car an oil change at a Castrol pit stop. So that's fresh oil just after the last 5K KMs. The car was put through enough in the last 5 days and deserves it.

I rang Pete's customer care in the meanwhile. The CRM lady says a wire is supposed to be left loose and they have guided me to get the blue box checked by Hot Tracks. I will try to do it over the weekend and keep you all posted. I have a wicked feeling that there is nothing wrong with it. Have a great grandprix weekend. And may Webber win!

PS: Excuse the rambling. I am in very high spirits.

Last edited by deetjohn : 12th November 2010 at 19:11.
Old 12th November 2010, 19:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

LOL i strongly recommend you to find another MASS!! LOL
Old 15th January 2011, 10:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thumbs up Update!

I took the blue box to the Pete's shop at Kochi when I went home for Christmas. I met Vinu, Manager (IT & Parts) and explained everything. He asked me for the bill, but I didn't have it. I told him that the box was bought from Hot Tracks almost 2.5 years back and he asked me to leave it there for inspection and I obliged.

He rang me the same day and told there was some problem with the connector with some pins loose. He also said they have rectified the problem and the box performed its magic on another DDiS when they tested it. I thanked him and a friend of mine collected it from them later.

Very good service overall. Here are the few pictures with the special Pete's bag which I am planning to carry lunch to office.
Attached Thumbnails
Clicking sound from Peted Swift LDi engine after MASS service at 77K-p1020071.jpg  

Clicking sound from Peted Swift LDi engine after MASS service at 77K-p1020072.jpg  

Clicking sound from Peted Swift LDi engine after MASS service at 77K-p1020075.jpg  

Clicking sound from Peted Swift LDi engine after MASS service at 77K-p1020073.jpg  

Clicking sound from Peted Swift LDi engine after MASS service at 77K-p1020076.jpg