Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th December 2005, 11:24   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashd
Do we require ABS in Indian condition. ABS is mainly used for snowy or ver slippery conditions and also for very high speed driving. As these conditions are not common in India, do we still need ABS ?
Kash
Actually your premise is wrong. ABS is pretty much useless in snowy/icy or slippery situation. If there is no friction between the road and the tyre, ABS makes no difference. That's where TCS (traction control system) comes into picture.

Is ABS good for India, I think many members already answered that.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 11:37   #17
Team-BHP Support

ABS is a must, but I would question the necessity of airbags in Indian driving conditions. (uh oh...this os going to be a debate!)
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 12:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
ABS is a must, but I would question the necessity of airbags in Indian driving conditions. (uh oh...this os going to be a debate!)
Agree. One hard jolt and out come the airbags and you're 150Ks in the red to straighten out the dasboard and the works!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 14:11   #19
BHPian

To ABS/ Airbag or not is a simple question with a very complex answer debated in many tBHP forums without a clear verdict. IMO, this is similar to asking whether one should always carry condoms in the name of safety? If one does not, should the Government intervene and start distributing in schools, colleges and workplaces (I would guess that Hindustan Latex/ TTK would love to affirm)?

I do not carry these devices with me since I believe that:
1. I am over 18 so can be responsible enough...
2. I am skilled enough to know what, where and how I drive...
msprabhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 14:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

@msprabhakar, it is your personal opinion, so can't comment on it. But the analogy is funny. One prevents departure of life and the other disallows arrival of life
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 18:32   #21
BHPian

With reference to the point that ABS is not very helpful on loose gravel and uneven pavement, I would also like to point out that it also depends on the kind of car you are talking about.

I was happy to see that our skoda has ABS, however I dont think it is a very advanced generation ABS system, but will do for Indian roads. I think that the ABS sensors in the skoda run on a common channel, which might be the fact that its not too impressive. In my beemer, I can sit on the brake pedal in gravel and the car will make a very good atempt at stopping, and I dont think a non ABS car can do a whole lot better. Now if I tried that in a skoda ABS say, I wouldn't be surprised to see it getting outperformed.

On a BMW for example, the ABS, traction control (TCS) and what they call DSC (dynamic stability control) is simply industry leading, especially on late model E46's and the new E90. Each wheel sensor runs on an individual channel, and with 4 channel ABS, and some awesome computers doing thousands of calculations per minute, the system as a whole is really something to experience, leading to BMW's legendary handling charecteristics.

There are similiar charecteristics seen in the mercs, but its nothing too fancy from what I have experienced. AMG's on the other hand have a whole new story to tell, of course most of it comes from the entirely revamped suspension, but the updated computers and ABS/TCS/stability control has contributed a good amount too. Oh well... getting off topic so I will stop.

Last edited by idnani : 14th December 2005 at 18:33.
idnani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 21:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
What scares me is seeing people without seat belts or people with a child on their lap in an airbag equipped car. Almost as good as dead!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 22:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What scares me is seeing people without seat belts or people with a child on their lap in an airbag equipped car. Almost as good as dead!
It is scary bcoz an airbag deploys with a force of 200mph. Now, imagine a kid (or even an adult) sitting with his face close to the dashboard when this happens, would he stand any chance of survival after a 200mph blow from the airbag?

Ofcourse, they are designing airbags that can detect the distance between themselves and the passenger and deploy accordingly but, i doubt any car in India has this feature.

ABS and Airbags are useful provided, the people sitting inside learn to take required safety measures.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 14th December 2005 at 22:01.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 22:03   #24
BHPian

This topic has been discussed many times here. Some people say ABS & airbag should be mandatory while others differ....

Nowadays if you want, you can buy a car with airbags/ABS. In India, cars are already very expensive. So, I don't justify having them as mandatory requirement.

Majority of India's bus/lorry drivers don't have basic education. A proper license exam will save more lives than what ABS & airbag will do...

Just my 2 cents.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 22:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

People may think Airbags and ABS arent of much use in Indian driving conditions...

Like I've said before...these things should be made mandatory on new cars.

I know im probably not going to have a major crash today, tomorrow or anytime soon. But if i do end up in a crash...I'd rather be there to pay 1.5 lakhs for new airbags after the accident than not be there at all.

Life is invaluable...cant put a cost on that now can we...
This kind of thinking can be a bit impractical in India though.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 23:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
It is scary bcoz an airbag deploys with a force of 200mph. Now, imagine a kid (or even an adult) sitting with his face close to the dashboard when this happens, would he stand any chance of survival after a 200mph blow from the airbag?
I don't know about other cars but for Honda Accord the airbags don't get deployed if passanger isn't wearing seat belts.
I have confirmed this from Honda service manager
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 00:42   #27
Team-BHP Support

Post ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
I don't know about other cars but for Honda Accord the airbags don't get deployed if passanger isn't wearing seat belts.
thats true for other cars too.
the airbag is deactivated unless the person sitting is wearing a seatbelt.
however, move up a couple of segments, and the airbag is activated / deactivated depending on whether a person is detected to be sitting in the seat - via pressure sensors.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 01:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have confirmed this from Honda service manager
Makes sense.

An eye opener for all those who don't wear their seatbelts and think they're in good hands, just bcoz their car comes with airbags.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 04:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
This topic has been discussed many times here. Some people say ABS & airbag should be mandatory while others differ....
For the people who differ , must read the following link and learn something and i think we all would agree with drifter that life is invaluable and not to forget "Health is Wealth" .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buckle...think-abs.html
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 04:43   #30
Max
BHPian

shame on Honda for not providing air bags and ABS option in Honda city even as extra addon option. It seems like they don't bother about indian driver safety who is buying US $18,000 car !
Max is offline   Reply With Quote