Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th October 2006, 10:05   #61
BHPian

What my dealer told me is that it is covered in insurance... But inspite of that you will have to shell out a good amount from your pocket....
sumitdongerkery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 11:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery
What my dealer told me is that it is covered in insurance... But inspite of that you will have to shell out a good amount from your pocket....
Hopefully with detariffing of insurance, they will become more sensible and see things from a broader overall perspective - e.g. if you are insuring with same ins. co. for health, accident and car, then obviously (at least to me) the co. would pay for the airbags, since there will be no health/accident claim.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 13:01   #63
BHPian

depending on the number of airbags deployed ive heard that most insurers on high end cars prefer to write the car off than even bother having it repaired. so imm guessing that you do end up spending a pretty packet once you pop a bag.
NikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 20:05   #64
BHPian

My friend met with an accident on his Octavia. He wasnt wearing his seat belt, airbags deployed, both driver's and passenger. Due do the collision his grille, headlights, bumper, bonnet, condenser and radiator were damaged.He has been given a quote of around 3.75 lacs from an independent garage.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:20   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He wasnt wearing his seat belt, airbags deployed, both driver's and passenger.
I hope your friend has realised the importance of wearing seatbelts? Hell, without seatbelts, airbags can actually cause more damage than good! They are the most fundamental safety devices and your friend is lucky to have walked out alive from this incident.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:05   #66
BHPian

How good would be ABS on Maruti 800 or Tata Nano ???
Isnt it more prudent to provide better tyres and brakes then ABS ?

If my correct ABS is more effective 60kmph + ??
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

ABS is effective at any speeds if the conditions cause your wheels to lose grip under braking. Better tyres AND better brakes. Better brakes without better tyres means your wheels lock up even quicker. Better tyres without better brakes means that you cannot use your tyres' higher grip.

I'd rather have ABS though. Steering out of harm's way WHILE having threshold braking? Yes, please!
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 14:06   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Isnt it more prudent to provide better tyres and brakes then ABS ?
It would be more prudent if people drove within the limits of their tyres and brakes. But because people don't, they need to have seat belts, ABS and airbags in whichever vehicle they drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
If my correct ABS is more effective 60kmph + ??
This is incorrect. ABS is effective at all speeds. Besides there is no difference between being effective and being "more" effective as far as ABS is concerned.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 19:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

At the risk of extrapolating US reports in India, please find the following (humans are made of flesh, blood, and bones everywhere so this should be applicable here too):

Government study confirms ABS effectiveness, but mysteries linger: Consumer Reports Cars Blog

This is the report referred to here:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811182.PDF
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 15:50   #70
BHPian

Default Re: ABS & Airbag requirement in indian conditions

For my next car I am evaluating Ritz Diesel. Now Ritz VDI (ABS) doesn't come with Airbags, something I want.

My question is can we get airbag installed as an aftermarket job? How much will it cost?

Same question for ABS - can it be installed as an aftermarket job? If yes, at what cost?

I would ideally go for Ritz LDI and get ABS and Airbags as an aftermarket addition if it saves me enough money as I don't really need the remaining features of VDI.

mods: Please shift to appropriate thread, if this is not suitable thread to post these questions.
satishchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 20:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
For my next car I am evaluating Ritz Diesel. Now Ritz VDI (ABS) doesn't come with Airbags, something I want.

My question is can we get airbag installed as an aftermarket job? How much will it cost?

Same question for ABS - can it be installed as an aftermarket job? If yes, at what cost?

I would ideally go for Ritz LDI and get ABS and Airbags as an aftermarket addition if it saves me enough money as I don't really need the remaining features of VDI.

mods: Please shift to appropriate thread, if this is not suitable thread to post these questions.
I do not think that you can install either ABS or Air Bag after market.

1. ABS requires integration with existing brakes and ECU

2. Airbags require a lot of control electronics and physical space. In case the vehicle is airbag ready, then you may fix it externally, else no.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

Both can be done by the manufacturer IF the vehicle has been tested during the design phase. That is, if that specific vehicle has models some of which have ABS and / or Airbags, the manufacturer *can* do it BUT

1. The costing by the manufacturer is usually on a *spare part* basis, and that is way costlier than BOM cost when fitted as part of manufacture. For example, the manufacturer will replace the steering wheel with the one that has the airbag - and charge you for it as per the price written in the Spare Parts catalog

2. Almost none of the manufacturers support, as a policy, "give me only what I want and leave out the rest of the bells and whistles" type of purchase requests from consumers. Only VW, and that also in Germany, is known for allowing configuration of a vehicle like that - they have a website where you can specify your configuration and order - of course with adequate lead time for manufacture

After-market addition (by someone other than the OE vehicle / ABS / Airbag manufacturer) of ABS and Airbag is too risky to attempt - basically because of the testing requirements, without which no insurance company will permit your vehicle on the road after the fitment.

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd January 2012 at 18:30.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:39   #73
BHPian

I was planning to buy Ritz LDI and then have ABS and air bags installed on top of it. Since both of these are available in ZXi version, the manufacturer has provisions for the feature.

However as you mentioned it may not be practical both from cost and insurance perspective to get it done after market.

Only thing I will still try is buy Ritz VDI (ABS) model and check how much maruti charges if I want to get air bags installed as they don't offer a ZDI for Ritz :(
satishchugh is offline   Reply With Quote