Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th November 2010, 22:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Radiator Fan never turns off!

My neighbour has an old Santro, one of the oldest model. I guess these are the ones released before the LP/LS model.

He calls me up around 10:30 PM & says the radiator fan has been running for over an hour & didn't know what the issue is about. So I went to check up & found that the fan never stops even if the keys were removed from the car & the engine being dead cold. I started up the car & still no use. Finally we give up R&D & remove the battery terminal & then the fan stops.

Next, I connect the terminal & bingo!!! the fan doesn't run. I start up the car & the fan still is switched off. So looks like everything is back to normal. However, we've disconnected the terminals as we're not sure if the fan would start running again.

What might be the issue? Are there anything to check other than thermostat or the coolant level?

Any help is appreciated. Tks.

PS - I found 2 threads that are closest match, but couldn't find any concrete solution from it except to check the coolant level
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...fan-blues.html (Radiator Fan Blues)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ition-off.html
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 01:58   #2
BHPian

Hi,

I had the same trouble in the morning. I own a 2004 Zen. The radiator fan had run for almost three hours. I went and unplugged the negative terminal from the battery. This stopped the fan. I was also advised that this was due to water or moisture in the relay. If it occurs again, I might have to change the relay for 300 bucks. Hope this helps.
Maxwell Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 07:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Get a life. Get a new car.
nice reply GF; both myself & Wifey were in lol; anyway, its my neighbour's car & at his disposal. If I were to tell you that his Santro is highly abused, what would be your reaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Arthur View Post
The radiator fan had run for almost...I might have to change the relay for 300 bucks. Hope this helps.
Thanks, this definitely help & its quite possible that the rain would've played a spoilt sport on the relay wires.
Old 19th November 2010, 09:13   #4
BHPian

Must be something to do with the radiator fan relay.

Radiator Fan never turns off!-radiatore_fan_relay.jpg
shyamhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 11:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Check the wiring, relay and fuses. Seems like an electrical short. Funny coz power needs to be cut off when the ignition is switched off in a santro.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 12:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Must be something to do with the radiator fan relay.
Ah!!! Thanks Shyam for the diagram (though I cannot make out anything ), I'll try to map the pic by looking under the hood; mostly I'll suggest him taking to some local garage (he's that sort of person) besides his car is too old. Anyway, if this thread can contain multiple solution, then it will help most guys who experience such issues in future. Who knows? My car could also undergo similar issue in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check the wiring, relay and fuses. Seems like an electrical short. Funny coz power needs to be cut off when the ignition is switched off in a santro.
Saar, if there's a fuse issue or blown, then the fan wouldn't be running isn't it? Or am I assuming something?

Also you see, when we disconnected the terminal & reattached, the issue never happened, though we started, that's why its leaving me confused.

Last edited by aargee : 19th November 2010 at 12:24.
Old 19th November 2010, 12:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Saar, if there's a fuse issue or blown, then the fan wouldn't be running isn't it? Or am I assuming something?
If the fuse holder is melted and shorting somewhere, then? Can happen and has happened Saar

EDIT: Just take it to a good electrician and ask him to trace the radiator fan wiring circuit and rule out any shortings, also check the relay if its getting stuck. But again my question how the current is still being passed when key is switched off? Santro doesn't have a extended fan thingie for a separate feed. Also all the couplers/connectors.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th November 2010 at 12:46.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 13:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the fuse holder is melted and shorting somewhere, then? Can happen and has happened Saar
Ok, agreed, but...

Quote:
But again my question how the current is still being passed when key is switched off? Santro doesn't have a extended fan thingie for a separate feed.
^^^ this is all I'm very much surprised; infact, I initially thought my neighbour didn't pull out the keys & that's the reason why the fan kept working. I opened up the bonnet, took out the ignition & closed the door & still the fan was running.

Quote:
Just take it to a good electrician and ask him to trace the radiator fan wiring circuit and rule out any shortings, also check the relay if its getting stuck. Also all the couplers/connectors.
Sure, I'll do this. But shortings??? Fuse should get blown away isn't it? Anyway, I'll suggest him taking to a auto electrician when he comes back in the evening. He being a lazy guy, will try to pass on the work to me

Thanks @Jaggu
Old 20th November 2010, 03:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sure, I'll do this. But shortings??? Fuse should get blown away isn't it? Anyway, I'll suggest him taking to a auto electrician when he comes back in the evening. He being a lazy guy, will try to pass on the work to me

Thanks @Jaggu
Actually it looks like the shorting is between a +ve of some other point to +ve wire of the radiator, this completed the circuit and Fan ran after the ignition being off.

If the two wires touching/shorting and have different polarity then only the fuse will blow or the wires would start melting.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 21:18   #10
BHPian

Default i10 Radiator fan never turns off!

I parked my i10 as usual this evening and went into my house. After about 45 minutes or so, I realise that I have left my phone in the car. As I approached the car, I could hear the radiator fan whirring away - at first I dismissed it as some stray noise from another car, or maybe some other motor. As I walked up, I felt the bonnet just to make sure the car wasn't running hot - cool to the touch.. something was funny. Started the car, drove a few meters just to check everything was in order, but once I cut the ignition, the fan continued to run..cranked open the bonnet to check, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.. after a few minutes of investigation, I disconnected the cable connecting the fan and postponed further investigation to tomorrow. Took a quick round of the block to confirm - everything seems to be fine.

Had gone visiting a friends house earlier this evening, and when I returned to my car to leave (after about 15 minutes), I think I could hear the radiator fan whirring away before I entered the car. Did'nt give it much thought then.

Lucky I returned to the car to get my phone - otherwise would have had a flat battery on my hands tomorrow morning...

Thoughts on what could have caused this? Hope its not a sign of impending electrical issues plaguing the car :(

The car has done 65K Km in about 3.5 years, new battery in Feb this year.

Edit - found this link which highlights a similar issue at hand - mods could you please merge both threads
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...turns-off.html

Last edited by adisag : 12th November 2012 at 21:29. Reason: linky to similar
adisag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 21:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: i10 Radiator fan never turns off!

You might be probably having a sticky fan relay. Just open the fuse box and check the relay. If a similar relay is available around, for items like the fog lamps, etc, you may try swapping them. But do not try to remove important relays like fuel pump relay etc and also do not use the car without the fan relay. Its better to have a continuously running fan rather than running without a fan, which can lead to a blown engine head hasket.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 11:49   #12
BHPian

Default Re: i10 Radiator fan never turns off!

Could be wires shorting due to heat/ dust etc, or, as mentioned, a relay malfunction. Get it to an authorised Hyundai A.S.S. or a GOOD auto electrician to investigate. If the relay is faulty, replace with original Hyundai/ Mobis relay. it may cost more but will give you years of trouble-free service. Do NOT cheap out on this as a malfunctioning fan (either on or off) will get you stranded on the road!
1self is offline   Reply With Quote