Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th November 2010, 11:00   #1

Default My New SX4: gears issues!

Hi everyone!
Don't really have much of a review... not much to add. It's been a week since I took delivery of my new SX4 Zxi, and the experience has been pleasant. I've been a little tentative ( have upgraded from Santro, so this seems very big, plus rear visibility is not all that great.)

I do have a question, though, and if this is not the right forum to ask, my appologies.. I couldn't figure out another one more appropriate.

I have quite a bit of difficulty engaging the reverse gear. Sometimes, the rear parking sensor becomes active, but the gear doesn't engage. Often, neither happen. I looked around on the forums for previous posts, but most were 2-3 years old. There was some discussion a few months back, but was limited to someone suggesting a workaround.

Any thoughts? Is this something that Maruti can fix? Should I go push the dealer?

In addition, even the other gears are not smooth: my Santro had much smoother gears. Will that change with time?
agrawalankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 11:17   #2
BHPian

my sx4 zxi NOW has butter smooth gears. i would say that they have become more smoother with time. earlier when the car would be parked and tried to reverse it many times the reverse gear would not engage directly. so i used to first slot the car in the first gear and then reverse. this was a similar problem with my accent as well when it was new. many times on a red light when i wanted to engage the first gear, it just would not go in its slot and i had to put the car in motion with the second gear. NOW after 5000kms none of these gear problems niggle me. i would say that now the gears feel even more smoother than my accent.

the issue regarding the rear parking sensor can be sorted out with maruti. since the car is only a week old (heck even if it were 2 months old) the dealer itself should happily take care of all the niggles in your car accessories and replace them if needed.
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Had similiar issues in my car too, initially. But in my case the gear issue got sorted out with simple DIY.

I had put in Coir Mat over the OE floor mat which was abt 3/4 inch thick.
This resulted in the incomplete engagement of the clutch resulting in the tough operation of gears. Most noticable when starting from idle. i.e First and Reverse gears.
Removed the mat now and the shift is butter smooth with that nice click feel.

Also after putting around 30k kms the gear shift has only got better with time. Smooth and without any slack/play..

The reverse parking sensor is wired with the reverse lamp. Which is activated by a switch in the GearBox. When the selector shifts to reverse,switch is activated( slightly ahead of complete engagement of the gear). So activation of the parking sensor my happen if the reverse gear is not completely engaged.

Tough gear engagement can be traced to the clutch operation often, and not the gearbox. I think the SX4 has Hydraulic Clutch and not a cable linkage, wonder if the clutch can be adjusted.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 13:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your gears will loosen up after you do a bit of running, wait until 5-6k km. If the problem persists, get an inspection done. IMO, its nothing to worry about.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 14:17   #5
BHPian

I had same issues with my Swift gears. Got loosened up after 5K. Your reverse gear will also smoothen over the time, but not as other gears as it is not synchronous. However, just add it to the first service TO-DO things.
bhp_maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 13:32   #6

hi there,
I too have a 6 month old SX4 Zxi,
-Reverse Gears- Yes, there are some occasions where the gear just refuses to engage despite all cajoling. Engage the first gear first, with a partial clutch release to confirm engagement. Now then try engaging the reverse, it drops back like butter. I think this situation is better than engaging the reverse gear when you don''t actually want to!
-Rest all the gears are very smooth, no tacky or rubbery feel and engages with a satisfying click. I have also noted that the gears are becoming smoother with time and use. Also, we get adapted to the new feel over time.
- Nevertheless, make a mention of your concern to the service engineers during the first service.
So, not much to worry about, enjoy and drive safe.
VVT is addictive too.
dentalguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrawalankur View Post
Hi everyone!
Don't really have much of a review... not much to add. It's been a week since I took delivery of my new SX4 Zxi, and the experience has been pleasant. I've been a little tentative ( have upgraded from Santro, so this seems very big, plus rear visibility is not all that great.)

I do have a question, though, and if this is not the right forum to ask, my appologies.. I couldn't figure out another one more appropriate.

I have quite a bit of difficulty engaging the reverse gear. Sometimes, the rear parking sensor becomes active, but the gear doesn't engage. Often, neither happen. I looked around on the forums for previous posts, but most were 2-3 years old. There was some discussion a few months back, but was limited to someone suggesting a workaround.

Any thoughts? Is this something that Maruti can fix? Should I go push the dealer?

In addition, even the other gears are not smooth: my Santro had much smoother gears. Will that change with time?
My strong suggestion is that we should not wait long before reporting such issues to the service center. You will get a similar answer from them saying that it will wear-in with time. Believe me, it is just a useless excuse, as the gearbox isn't a leather shoe that takes your foot's shape with time and becomes more comfortable .

They are only trying to push the problem away as it costs them time to do these adjustments; especially because it does not generate any revenue for them. Time thus saved here can allow them to service more cars in the same day resulting in more business.

Give the service center a sound thrashing if they tell you this reason. I did that with maruti service center for my wife's alto where 2nd gear was hard to engage. Similar excuse was give to me. When I came down heavily on them, they sorted the issue out and the gear shift became smoother.

There is absolutely no point in waiting for 5-6k kms and ruining your driving experience with your precious new car
SudhanshuSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 00:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrawalankur View Post
Hi everyone!

I think that's normal, i had same experience with Santro Too, when i upgraded from M800 few years back, clearly remember first couple of months, i used to put 1st gear, let car move 1CM then applying reverse on Santro was smooth.

After couple of thousand on Odometer this effect dis-appeared.

I clearly remember i posted this earlier somewhere, and I did inquired this at service station who said its normal for gears to be little tight during initial period.

However your best bet is to take a opinion from Service Center and relax.

Enjoy the Men's drive.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 16:27   #9

Thanks all!
Much relieved :-)

The front gears are already much better. The reverse is getting better too, though still a challenge. Will bring it up in first service.
agrawalankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 18:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

I face the problem with reverse gear sometimes with my WagonR and also my Fiesta, especially when I start off in the morning.

I read somewhere on this forum that to overcome this, one needs to slot the gear in neutral, release the clutch and then press it again. Put it in reverse after that and it works like a charm.

I've been following this technique and it has helped me all the time.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 22:41   #11
BHPian

As mentioned by all, slotting of 1st and Reverse is generally a little problematic in new cars which should resolve itself by 5000 Kms.

If you want to slot reverse and the same is not slotting properly, I would suggest you slot in maybe first and then try reverse again and that generally works or slot back in neutral and release the clutch and then depress the clutch again and try and reverse gear. That too works.

Hence, chill...Nothing to worry about and enjoy your car

Last edited by f1fan : 26th November 2010 at 22:43.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 23:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
As mentioned by all, slotting of 1st and Reverse is generally a little problematic in new cars which should resolve itself by 5000 Kms.

If you want to slot reverse and the same is not slotting properly, I would suggest you slot in maybe first and then try reverse again and that generally works or slot back in neutral and release the clutch and then depress the clutch again and try and reverse gear. That too works.

Hence, chill...Nothing to worry about and enjoy your car
I agree with that. The latter method always works for me. For the initial 1000km gears were a real trouble, first and reverse especially. But now everything is smooth, not butter smooth though
bhp_maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 10:06   #13
BHPian

When the reverse gear refuses to engage , release the clutch fully, press it once again fully and the gear slots in easily.(Don't bring it to neutral. Try from the position where it gets stopped without getting engaged) While other gears get engaged easily even when you don't depress the clutch fully, the reverse gear gets engaged smoothly only when you depress the clutch fully. Any obstruction like an additional coir mat (already reported) may prevent the clutch from being depressed fully.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 16:56   #14
BHPian

I have a similar problem with my 30 month old 75k km SX4 ZXI. It is extremely difficult to engage the reverse gear in cold starts, need to engage 1st move a couple of mm and then engage reverse.

On a lighter note the only other time this happens is when you are doing a 3 point turn on a busy road and your car refuses to go into reverse, you can imagine the chaos

regards

Vaseem
vaseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 18:09   #15
BHPian

Even my 45k run Alto has the same issue right from Day 1. The service centers couldnt help much and finally my technician at home town said.. this problem appears in most suzuki gear boxes. Unfortunate that it is appearing in SX4 too. When shown the problem to ABT Maruti Chennai, they did not do anything but advised me to engage to 1st gear - before engaging the reverse gear.

on:

4 months back, my technician fixed that problem to some extent and it is better now. Once in a while, the reverse gear problem comes up. Finally I decided to live with it.
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote