Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 19:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default Re: Age induced issues with ikon, need help.

Well, short trips do take a toll on FE, engine life and even battery. If the majority usage is in the form of short trips, I would suggest you change to synthetic oil. It provides better lubrication whist warm up.

Also, somehow I have felt my IKON drinks a lot of petrol on firing up.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 12:46   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,025
Thanked: 3,483 Times
Default Re: Age induced issues with ikon, need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I also warm up the engine for around 1 minutes daily, which might have also helped in lowering FE.
You dont need to warm up the engine for that long. Start the car, and after bout 10-20 secs, move off, but do not stress the engine early on. That should suffice.

Regarding mileage, i get a constant 12-14 kmpl for about 20 kms one way, per day. This is with about 70% A/C usage.

EDIT : My car also needs to get the suspension checked. Its been creaking from the front ove rbad roads, and speedbreakers. Looks like others too have had this attended to at about the same odo mileage.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 14:18   #18
BHPian
 
xbox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Age induced issues with ikon, need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Regarding mileage, i get a constant 12-14 kmpl for about 20 kms one way, per day. This is with about 70% A/C usage.

EDIT : My car also needs to get the suspension checked. Its been creaking from the front ove rbad roads, and speedbreakers. Looks like others too have had this attended to at about the same odo mileage.

Lucky for you as you have the Flair and not the 1.6.
Looks like most folks who have the 1.6 are getting under 10 a litre :(. Guess I have no other option but to get used to this (it only gets harder with petrol at 70+ a litre.).
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 14:29   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,651
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Age induced issues with ikon, need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
You dont need to warm up the engine for that long. Start the car, and after bout 10-20 secs, move off, but do not stress the engine early on. That should suffice.
Get it Ben, time to save some fuel. Will cut down the warm up time to 20-30 seconds. I generally let the engine warm up till a little after the revvs settle at around 900rpm. I can make the distinct noise of revvs getting lower, when the engine warms up while I clean the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Lucky for you as you have the Flair and not the 1.6.
Looks like most folks who have the 1.6 are getting under 10 a litre :(. Guess I have no other option but to get used to this (it only gets harder with petrol at 70+ a litre.).
Ah-ha, you have a 1.6 and still you complain about the mileage mate.
Not done. On the contrary you are getting a good FE.
FYI, I too have a Flair 1.3
Infact, Benbsb29, Dhanushs, sammyboy and me, all have a 1.3 rocam.
Why play Xbox when you have 1.6? hehe!!

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 7th June 2011 at 14:30.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 14:54   #20
BHPian
 
xbox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Age induced issues with ikon, need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Ah-ha, you have a 1.6 and still you complain about the mileage mate.
Not done. On the contrary you are getting a good FE.
Looking back, i can only blame my decision to buy this guzzzzler then on either my shortsightedness or probably on my over the top expectations of how my affordability will go up with time
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 21:14   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Age induced issues with ikon, need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
..my over the top expectations of how my affordability will go up with time
Don't we suffer from this all the time? :-)
fordday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motion Induced Blindness throttleking Street Experiences 73 26th April 2012 10:30
Ford Ikon - Issues - Need Help reachmash Technical Stuff 19 3rd June 2009 11:57
URGENT help needed: Ford Ikon issues gaurav_diavolo Technical Stuff 8 10th May 2009 17:52
Ikon 1.6 : Apollo Acceleres : Early Tyre Wear Issues-Need Advice abhik Technical Stuff 15 15th May 2008 11:19
honda suspension issues-need help nitroxx Shifting gears 1 28th January 2005 20:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks