Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 14:53   #1
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Wierd issue with car's speed & engine sounds!

Hey Folks, facing a delima with an Alto, big time!

The problem is that at each gear, a weird thak-thak kinda sound comes from the engine only at a particular speed for that gear, but not on other speeds. In second gear, it's at ~20 Km/hr, third gear it's ~40 Km/hr, 4th it's ~50 Km/hr. In any of the gears, if the speed is below/above the ones mentioned, there's no sound. Furthermore, there's no knocking or jerks while driving, just the sound.

I'd be grateful for any light being shed on this nagging issue.

EDIT: The car's been run for ~35K Km, and was serviced coupla weeks back. That's when the sound issue crept in.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 16:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,739
Thanked: 2,868 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey Folks, facing a delima with an Alto, big time!

The problem is that at each gear, a weird thak-thak kinda sound comes from the engine only at a particular speed for that gear, but not on other speeds. In second gear, it's at ~20 Km/hr, third gear it's ~40 Km/hr, 4th it's ~50 Km/hr. In any of the gears, if the speed is below/above the ones mentioned, there's no sound. Furthermore, there's no knocking or jerks while driving, just the sound.

I'd be grateful for any light being shed on this nagging issue.

EDIT: The car's been run for ~35K Km, and was serviced coupla weeks back. That's when the sound issue crept in.
What engine rpm do you generally change the gears at? Something between 2.5-3 krpm is ideal..

Is this sound with or w/o A/c?

At 35k, was the air n fuel filter changed? Probably, you could get that re-checked.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 14:26   #3
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

I've been up shifting in my Esteem & Estilo between the 1.5 - 2 K RPM mark and have never faced any issue. Shifting at low RPM can cause knocking, but that's not the problem being faced with the Alto.

The sounds coming with A/C off, haven't checked with it being on.

The fuel filter had been changed at 30K service & the air filter was changed at this service.

What's really confusing me is the fact that the sound is coming only at particular speed w.r.t each gear!!!
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 14:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,739
Thanked: 2,868 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I've been up shifting in my Esteem & Estilo between the 1.5 - 2 K RPM mark and have never faced any issue. Shifting at low RPM can cause knocking, but that's not the problem being faced with the Alto.

The sounds coming with A/C off, haven't checked with it being on.

The fuel filter had been changed at 30K service & the air filter was changed at this service.

What's really confusing me is the fact that the sound is coming only at particular speed w.r.t each gear!!!
I think sound at particular speed w.r.t each gear essentially means something related to the engine rpm..

Since the car has been serviced just 2 weeks back, you could go back to the service stn and ask them to have a look..

Just to eliminate some causes, how about changing gears betn 2.5 to 3k rpm n then checking if the problem persists.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 14:45   #5
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Just to eliminate some causes, how about changing gears betn 2.5 to 3k rpm n then checking if the problem persists.
Will give it a shot mate!
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 16:28   #6
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Talking

Just got the problem fixed.

The issue was with the gear bearings, which essentially were shod. 5 bearings were replaced and the sounds have vanished and the car feels even smoother to drive.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP !!! Wierd issue with home network whatcanthisbe Gadgets, Computers & Software 12 15th December 2011 23:47
Wierd network Issue - Help Please whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 9 25th October 2009 23:10
F1 engine sounds like music to my ears...literally!!! Shan2nu Shifting gears 6 8th January 2009 19:58
BMW engine Sounds!!!! racing4cure The International Automotive Scene 1 13th December 2005 17:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks