Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th November 2010, 19:58   #1

Default Honda City Rusting under APF Coating warranty

I'm a newbie in this forum. And I'm glad I bumped into this forum - seems like a lot of users / experts sharing views and helping each other out. Well, I too have a problem and need help.

I own a Honda City Exi (2004 model). I did 3M Anti-Corrosion paint in Sundaram Honda, Chennai in July 2010. The service advisor (Mr. Prabhakar) convinced me on why I should get it done to avoid the car's under body and doors from rusting. He also said that it comes with a 3 year warranty. I was bought into the idea and went ahead and did the Anti-Corrosion coating (for almost Rs.4.5 to Rs.5k). I also have the 3 year warranty card after the coating was done.

Now its November 2010 (less than 6 months from the coating). 2 weeks back I noticed that 3 of the four doors have started to rust.

Here are the pictures of the same I took today and posted on the internet:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tellanan...UnderWarranty#

I went to Sundaram Honda yesterday and showed the problem to Mr. Prabhakar (the service advisor, who asked me to do this coating in July 2010). He inspected and went in and got another person by name Mr. Sudhakar.

Mr. Sudhakar inspected and said that this needs tinkering work and did not want to cover it under Warranty and said I'll have to pay for the tinkering / re-painting. He also asked me to sell off the car and buy a new one (later I realized that if I sell the car, the 3-year warranty is null and void). I cannot imagine a Honda service adviser wanting to shrug off the responsibility rather than fix the problem under warranty.

I'm extremely heart-broken and frustrated at the quality of work done by Sundaram Honda and the way they are dealing with it subsequently - they are giving me a million reasons on why this is not covered under warranty rather than own up to the shabby work done by their people and honor the warranty for the product / service they sold to me. While selling Mr. Prabhakar make tall claims about the warranty, but then it seems shallow when I have to go through it.

Mr. Sudhakaran also said that he needs to check with Honda on the Warranty. To me, Sundaram Honda is HONDA. I paid Sundaram Honda for the service and their service adviser gave me the warranty. I don't understand why I should I even know that they should be checking with Honda - it's really not my problem to solve.

I have a strong feeling that Sundaram Honda screwed up the APF job; otherwise I can't imagine how all the doors will start to rust after the coating was done.

Can someone tell me how should I be dealing with this problem? I feel let down as a consumer!!!!

best regards
- Anand

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th November 2010 at 20:12. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
tellanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 22:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

An almost similar case - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...y-honored.html (NHC starter problem: HONDA refusing to honour warranty! UPDATE: Warranty honored.)

I suggest you escalate the matters to higher authorities. You may want to use the contacts given in the thread.

P.S - Is Honda going the Skoda way? .

Last edited by dhanushs : 30th November 2010 at 22:07.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 22:44   #3
BANNED

Dear Anand,
I saw your pics and i strongly feel that the corrosion started much before coating was done, infact it does not look like it started from outside but from inside the doors (clogged drainage?)
You should take matters with honda and 3M also but be warned that they will come out of some excuse to make it outside warranty.

As such the SE should have checked the vehicle for existing points of corrosion before committing for APF
drsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 23:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

its a painting defect and not due to coating.

Honda should honor the warranty.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 00:06   #5

Thank you everyone for your support.

I had written to Honda on their "Service Feedback" on their portal (http://www.hondacarindia.com). Some Customer Relations guy from Sundaram Honda has sent me an email few minutes back. I'm going to talk to this guy to see if I can resolve the issue in my favor.

@dhanushs: I think the contacts in the thread you had given will help greatly. I'll use them if my talk with the Sundaram Honda CR guy fails. I really hope Honda doesn't go the Skoda way!!

Here's the email:

Quote:

To: n_anand@yahoo.com
Cc: shcservice@sundarammotors.com; Customer Care - HSCIL <customer_relations@hondacarindia.com>
Sent: Tue, November 30, 2010 6:14:45 PM
Subject: Re: Kind Attn:Mr. Anand Nagarajan

Dear Sir,

Our sincere apologies for not having come up to your expectations.

We request you to kindly give us appointment at your convenient time, therefore we will meet you in person to resolve the issue.

For any service assistance, you may please contact the undersigned at 95000 90082.

Thanks & Regards
Shrekanth
Customer Relations Manager - Service
Sundaram Honda, Chennai

----- Original Message -----
To: n_anand@yahoo.com
Cc: crm_shondachn@sundarammotors.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:47 PM
Subject: Kind Attn:Mr. Anand Nagarajan

Dear Mr.Nagarajan,

This is in reference to your communication dated 30th November,2010.

We regret to learn of your feedback.

We are understanding the details of the matter from our dealership M/s Sundaram Honda, Chennai and request you to kindly bear with us. In the meanwhile,we are advising our dealership to get in touch with you and address your concern.

For any further concern/query, please contact us at 1800-113-121or 011-39898918.

Assuring you the best of our services at all times.

Regards,

Jim Marvyn
Customer Relationship Management
Honda Siel Cars India Ltd. ,Greater Noida

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st December 2010 at 00:21. Reason: Removed extra formatting, please avoid copy pasting from external word processors like MS Word etc, thanks
Old 1st December 2010, 13:37   #6

Today Mr. Shrekanth from Sundaram Honda (Customer Relations) called me for an appointment. I told him that I'll come to the workshop tomorrow morning at around 930AM. He said he'll have the body shop supervisor with him and will try and solve the issue amicably. I'm hoping for the best to happen tomorrow.

Please let me know if I should keep anything in mind, say (or not say) something.

best regards
- Anand
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:37   #7

Mr. Shrekanth inspected the vehicle along with others from his team and he saying that this is not covered under warranty. I'm really furious at this response. I don't understand how can they not cover this when they have sold this service under warranty. This is deficiency in service.

Can someone in Team-BHP who has some pull in Honda help me please?

Here's the email:

Quote:
To: Anand Nagarajan <n_anand@yahoo.com>
Cc: shcservice@sundarammotors.com; Customer Care - HSCIL <customer_relations@hondacarindia.com>; V Senthil Kumar <vskumar@hondacarindia.com>
Sent: Thu, December 2, 2010 2:26:28 PM
Subject: Re: Spam Re: Kind Attn:Mr. Anand Nagarajan

Dear Sir,

Thank you for visiting us this morning.

While we regret to learn your feedback, we would like to clarify the following on the rust formation:
Anti corrosive coating (panel & underchasis) is basically to protect the panel and underchasis from rust formation, if we coat the anti corrosive paint on the metal which has already a miniscule rust then it may not be so effective.

Nevertheless, you will appreciate the fact that the rust formation is a gradual onset and not a sudden occurence. Many factors shall influence the rust formation and the first amongst the rest is residing near sea shore shall influence the rust formation in high degree.

Also, age of the vehicle is taken into consideration for the rust formation. As per our records, your vehicle is six years old.

If you give us approval, we will initiate the estimation process for bodyshop work to remove the rust and bring back its orginality.

We assure you the best services always

Thanks & Regards
Shrekanth

best regards
- Anand

Last edited by tellanand : 2nd December 2010 at 16:47.
Old 6th December 2010, 14:30   #8

I protested with Mr. Shrekanth's response and asked him what's the value of the Guarantee card given to me by 3M and Honda on the ACP painting they did. Something seemed to resonate with him - he asked "Do you have a warranty card, I din't know that"; I was like "wow". He took up the matter with the regional sales head of 3M and called me on Friday to confirm that they would do the repair work under warranty.

I'm going to take my car to Sundaram Honda tomorrow for the repair work. Hope they do it well and without any problems.

Will keep you guys posted. Thank you all for your support.

best regards
- Anand
Old 20th December 2010, 09:11   #9

Default Re: Honda City Rusting under APF Coating warranty - Warranty Honored :-)

I got back my car after repairs under warranty. It was delivered on Saturday morning. They delayed the delivery by 8 days from the date from the promised date of delivery.

Thanks everyone for your support.

- Anand
Old 20th December 2010, 12:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Honda City Rusting under APF Coating warranty

Glad that you got your car and Honda honoring the warranty.
This time over, please make sure that the work is carried out to perfection to avoid unnecessary hassles in future.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 13:11   #11
BHPian

This is clearly the dealer who is trying to mug you, I am sure Honda must be pressurising the dealer to sort this out. Get all the things sorted out till you are satisfied.
Make sure to express the displeasure in the feedback call if things are not sorted out well.
RemingtonSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 13:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have no idea why everyone here is jumping to blame the car manufacturer.

It is more a case of being aware from our side and the dealer passing on one of his products. This has nothing to do with the 3M coating and personally I did not feel it i something from the warranty. They have done it as a mere good will gesture

3M coating cannot make existing rust vanish, but rather creates a protective layer on a clean body and prevents / delays rust formation

As the car in question was already six years, old, and being a costal area, it showed its age. When going in for something like 3m, we should have inspected our car first, and if signs of rust was visible / evident, then it would have been prudent to remove it first and then apply the coat. From a dealer point of view, they just want to sell the product, so even if they have noticed rust, they would have cleaned it briefly and then applied the coat

So, caution from our side is highly advised. I have not done this coating on any of my cars, as I do not live in a costal area or area that is prone to watter logging. THough, it is no doubt an advantage, it is not a necessity.

But, anyway, good that you managed to get it. This is basically a tie up between the dealer and 3M. And the people doing it are also from 3m. They are getting inot several tie ups these days. Sundaram Chevy also has a tie up with them in BLR.

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 20th December 2010 at 13:25.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 23:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I have no idea why everyone here is jumping to blame the car manufacturer.

It is more a case of being aware from our side and the dealer passing on one of his products. This has nothing to do with the 3M coating and personally I did not feel it i something from the warranty. They have done it as a mere good will gesture.
I do have a guarantee card with me from 3M that states that the car will NOT rust for 3 years - I had posted a pic of it in my first posting. I do agree that it was a 3M product, but I paid Sundaram Honda and they gave me the warranty.

Quote:
3M coating cannot make existing rust vanish, but rather creates a protective layer on a clean body and prevents / delays rust formation

As the car in question was already six years, old, and being a costal area, it showed its age. When going in for something like 3m, we should have inspected our car first, and if signs of rust was visible / evident, then it would have been prudent to remove it first and then apply the coat. From a dealer point of view, they just want to sell the product, so even if they have noticed rust, they would have cleaned it briefly and then applied the coat
I agree. I cannot dispute what you are saying - but the point is, Honda just cannot sell me something for getting my money and get away with it when there is a problem. They should have had their engineers / technitians to check for rust and rectified it in the first place (or atleast told me that they cannot apply it b'coz it's already rusted).

Also, if you look at the pics I had posted, the rusting had happened from inside out - so there is no way I could have known about it and every way the service guy should have known about it.

Quote:
So, caution from our side is highly advised. I have not done this coating on any of my cars, as I do not live in a costal area or area that is prone to watter logging. THough, it is no doubt an advantage, it is not a necessity.

But, anyway, good that you managed to get it. This is basically a tie up between the dealer and 3M. And the people doing it are also from 3m. They are getting inot several tie ups these days. Sundaram Chevy also has a tie up with them in BLR.
I agree. I've learnt a hard lesson, I guess.
Old 21st December 2010, 00:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

@tellanand, not sure how it is run there, but in some of the dealerships that I have come across, it is more of a tie up between dealer, and 3M company. SO there are 3 parties involved in the total picture.

Car Manufacturer >> Dealer >> 3M and similar

Most often, the dealer ties up with an another company like 3m, and the 3m guys etc, do the coating and not some one from the company. The 3M guys main objective is selling his product, so he does not really bother that much about what state the car is in. It is also a gap in communcation channel between 3M n dealer, as they should have higlighted and rectified the rust first
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 00:56   #15

Quote:
@tellanand, not sure how it is run there, but in some of the dealerships that I have come across, it is more of a tie up between dealer, and 3M company. SO there are 3 parties involved in the total picture.

Car Manufacturer >> Dealer >> 3M and similar

Most often, the dealer ties up with an another company like 3m, and the 3m guys etc, do the coating and not some one from the company. The 3M guys main objective is selling his product, so he does not really bother that much about what state the car is in. It is also a gap in communcation channel between 3M n dealer, as they should have higlighted and rectified the rust first
I think the key point is accountability. It's just that I bought it from a Honda showroom and I want them to be accountable for what they sold me and the warranty. It'll be unfair to say that honda or its dealer will sell me a product / service with warranty and not honor the warranty. I would not really care if 3M did the job or Honda did it or Sundaram Honda did it, I want SUndaram Honda to front end it and honor the warranty - which is the line I took in handling this case with Honda.