Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th December 2005, 17:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

Exclamation What could this sound be?!

Guys I have a 5 month old Indica DLS. It has now closked about 4000kms (effectively ran for 3 months) and is coming up for its first service. I have noticed that every morning when I start the car nowadays in the morning it starts with a squealing sound... This squealing and screeching sound persists. During this time I do not move the car. After about 1min 15 secs or so all of a sudden this squealing noise more or less stops abruptly and the RPM goes up subtly (to around 975 from the earlier 950 or so).

It looks like it has something to do with the onset of the winter season. I do not think I noticed this initially. That is till till a month or two back, when the mornings became somewhat cold. Nonetheless this sound worries me a lot. It almost sounds like a two rusted pieces of gears are creaking and groaning.

Could anyone tell me what this sound could be? Why it comes in the early morning cold start and why it vanishes after a minute or so? I am anyhow planning to mention this to the dealer when I take it for service.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 17:56   #2
BHPian

Is this the sound of the belt ?
I have heard a squealing sound often when I am near a diesel Indica...
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 18:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Zappo, its the sound of the Alternator belt. Get it tightened from a mechanic.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 18:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Zappo, its the sound of the Alternator belt. Get it tightened from a mechanic.
I thought as much... but is this a regular thing with Indicas? i thought they sorted it out long back... However even if it is the sound of the belt why does it make this sound only after a cold start? I mean... it seizes after a minute. You won't hear this squealing sound if my car drives past you or if it stops next to you. As Abhay said, he has heard this sound emanating from other Indicas. I too have. Mercifully mine does not make this sound, at least upto now Its just the first minute problem in the mornings.
Old 19th December 2005, 18:26   #5
BHPian

Belt noise.It's a common complaint found in Indicas and the old TUD5 engine which was used in the Esteem,Zen and the old Accent DLS.Nothing a wayside mechanic can't cure.Be warned,it's going to crop up now and then,especially during cold starts.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 18:38   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

strange coincidence!!!!!even my zen has started making these screaming and squealing noises when i start ii in the mornings.has just started in winters,never faced this problem before.also had given the car for servicing a week back and after a few days it started making these noises.if it is the alternator belt,what is the connection between the cold weather and the sound.please help me out too.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 18:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
strange coincidence!!!!!even my zen has started making these screaming and squealing noises when i start ii in the mornings.has just started in winters,never faced this problem before.also had given the car for servicing a week back and after a few days it started making these noises.if it is the alternator belt,what is the connection between the cold weather and the sound.please help me out too.
Hmmm... so it has something to do with the onset of the winter. I am sure there is some logical explanation behind it all. It never happened before, or does not happen even now except for the 1st minute in the morning.

hellspawn, does it stop automatically for you as well? I typically let the car idle for a minute and a half before I engage the gear. As I said, after a minute or so the sound stops abruptly, the engine gets a little busy as I can make out from the sound and the tacho. This is when I engage the gear.

I will anyhow check it out during servicing, but that is still some time away (at least 15 days).
Old 19th December 2005, 19:05   #8
BHPian

Thumbs up SImple reason

Well, If you guys are sure its the belt sound, then I can give you the reason.

During winter, the pulleys tend to be cold and there is mist formation on the metallic surface. If the belt is a bit loose, it tends to slip and generate the sound.

Now another major reason why this is happening could be due to the cold start itself.

Car batteries charges itself if they are warm, in cold condition the battery isnt working in its optimum state. Also Cold start require more cranking and hence huge discharge from the battery (specially in diesel cars). Now Due to this, the alternator gets fully loaded when the car is started (To recharge the drained battery). Now the wetness and the reduction in belt tightness makes it easier for the pulley to slip than turn with the belt. Hence the sound

But after a min or so starting, the heat generated by the friction removes the slip and the battery is recharged becoz the alternator does its job and the load on the alternator reduces.

Tightening the belt to the optimum condition and replace if necessary. Also check battery condition.

Hope this gives a clear idea.

Well this happens in my santro too. Especially if i use my music system for prolonged time with the car turned off during winter season. Sometimes the belt is so loose the everytime i start the car early morning during winter it makes this stupid sound. I make sure that they tighten the belt when i go for service.
general_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 19:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo
Tightening the belt to the optimum condition and replace if necessary. Also check battery condition.

Hope this gives a clear idea.

Well this happens in my santro too. Especially if i use my music system for prolonged time with the car turned off during winter season. Sometimes the belt is so loose the everytime i start the car early morning during winter it makes this stupid sound. I make sure that they tighten the belt when i go for service.
Hmmm... only that my car starts with just one crank. It does not take prolonged effort to start even in the cold mornings. But still, you gave an idea of what could be the problem.

Achchhaa! Your Santro too makes this sound, does it? Hmmm... possibly other makes also do. I initially thought that this is an Indica special So now I know, zen, santro, accent. Hmmm... then this is general physics rather than any specific part problem. Tightening the belt should be a straight forward job.
Old 19th December 2005, 21:32   #10
BHPian

If your belt is over 25,000 km run, replace it with a new one, and tighten properly. In other cases make sure they follow proper procedure to tighten belt to manufacturer's specs. This problem occurs in a new belt only if it has not been tightened to proper specs by a lazy garage.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 23:23   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
hellspawn, does it stop automatically for you as well? .
yup at first i opened up the engine bay and tried all permutations and combinations to see if anything was loose....no luck.after sometime the sound died away.
the next day i figured that whatever it was,was due to the cold weather so as soon as i started the engine,i revved the engine a couple of times and voila! the sound was gone.but now il go the garage and get it checked.thanks guys......
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 01:06   #12
BHPian

The Belt gets stiffened/loosened when cold. after a few minutes of running,it wil be back to perfect condition.neednt tighten de belt.
[SIZE=2]Sree[/SIZE]
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 18:08   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric
The Belt gets stiffened/loosened when cold. after a few minutes of running,it wil be back to perfect condition.neednt tighten de belt.
[SIZE=2]Sree[/SIZE]
Hmm... sounds logical because mine is a new car. Has barely driven past the 4k mark. Moreover this sound is just that 1st minute phenomenon in the cold mornings. I do not think it needs any tightening or replacement. Had it been so the loose belt would have continuously made the noise.
Old 20th December 2005, 18:11   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by punka23
Hey I've heard this sound in the NEIGHBOURS car too. Many times during the day even. Mornin yea but its not cold here. Pretty hot anytime of the day. Think its some faulty part that TATA has used but didnt get time to research n refine on. Not sure wat makes that sound though. Even I checked. Seems like its coming from the engine itself.
Yeah... possible. But in that case your neighbours car has an actually loose belt which keeps slipping. It may need to be tightened. Lot of old ones do make that sound all through the day.
Old 20th December 2005, 18:19   #15
BHPian

Default surely the belts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Yeah... possible. But in that case your neighbours car has an actually loose belt which keeps slipping. It may need to be tightened. Lot of old ones do make that sound all through the day.
Hey I tend to differ here... the noise is mostly made by a belt that is too tight. Often slackening it a bit should do the trick. The thumbrule is to check for about half-an-inch of slack on all the belts.

BTW, Zappo, you have to be prepared for these occassional squeaks with the Indica ... if you want a complete list of "what sounds mean what is wrong" for the Indica, PM me... I have a V2 that has done 40K so far and have seen all that.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote