Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd May 2017, 11:10   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Automatics : P or N at signals / traffic lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Another little anorak fact I picked up at this workshop: It’s good practice to use all the manual gears now and then. Sufficient to pull away in 2nd, keep it there for 10 seconds of so, move to 3rd, keep it there for 10 seconds and so on until you have gone through all manual selectable gears.

When you select a gear manual, the brain will open up all (most) of it valves simultaneously. Which means a lot of transmission fluid is going to get pushed around your box. So it’s a good way to “flush’ out any dirt that might have collected on the friction plates and other bits. Do this once a month or so.
In my A-star automatic, the user manual specifically asks to start the engine and keep the car on brakes while holding on (manually) to each gear for 10 seconds each, before checking the level of transmission fluid. I always wondered why, but this explains the logic. Thanks so much!

What I do is to down-shift manually when I go down a slope (rather than using the brakes), so I would be doing this at least once in a month.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 22nd May 2017 at 11:14.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:49   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
In my A-star automatic, the user manual specifically asks to start the engine and keep the car on brakes while holding on (manually) to each gear for 10 seconds each, before checking the level of transmission fluid. I always wondered why, but this explains the logic. Thanks so much!

h.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesten to know Some manufacturers put this procedure in their manual.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 11:55   #48
BHPian

Default Re: Towing of automatic transmission cars?

This is interesting. Concern here is only over heating or is there something more to this. I have an auto i10 and i have an habit of putting the car to neutral while driving whenever i see a signal or traffic jam approaching. So does this load the engine?
sumitdongerkery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 13:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
This is interesting. Concern here is only over heating or is there something more to this. I have an auto i10 and i have an habit of putting the car to neutral while driving whenever i see a signal or traffic jam approaching. So does this load the engine?
No, it does not cause any harm, as long as you don't turn off the engine.
Only demerit is reduction in engine braking.

Transmission cooling will continue to happen, as long as engine is ON.
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 13:33   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
Much has been discussed about this here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ic-lights.html (Automatics : P or N at signals / traffic lights?)

Putting the car into neutral does not load the engine in any way.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote