Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 13:14   #1
BHPian
 
Black_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 117 Times
Exclamation Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

Mods, Please move this thread to appropriate section if this is not and link to any thread which exists already on this topic.

I have been searching for an resolution for this issue sine my ODO was 15000Km.
Now my ODO is showing 37000KMs.

Problem Description:
To shift gears from 1-2,2-3,2-4,4-5 or so i have to hard press the clutch to the fullest level and even then i wouldn't get a smooth gear change, i have to push the gear rod as if it was stuck.
This doesn't happen always, very inconsistent and even if i get to this problem and if run 5-10 kms then this issue gets reduced. (for that journey).
However, i can expect this issue to happen daily during rainy seasons, no idea on the root cause.

To Add: I get 'Gurr / kreech' sound when i engage reverse gear, this happens more frequently (sometimes it works good, no noise).

I have shown my car on this issue to VST 3-4 times, all the time they use to say some air-lock, and they use to clear that and for next couple of days car works good, on 3rd day i start getting to this issue. (no matter if i had drove my car for those 2days or it was idle at home).
On my final visit to VST, they said they need to change some clutch cylinder to check if the issue was because of that, also added it would cost some ~19k.

Later, when i had my car serviced with Carnation, i made this complaint, they were clueless, trying to identify on trial-error basis, finally the service guy said it is because of the Clutch OIL which got thicker.
He flushed out few ml of oil and added new oil in the tank, this time it worked for couple of weeks but again got this issue back.

I couldn't get any clue on the root-cause, Can you help identify what could be the problem?

Thanks for your work Buddy!.
Black_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 13:23   #2
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

When was your last gear oil change? No top-ups, but complete drain and refilling of new oil. If the issue gets resolved by itself after driving 5-10 Km, I guess it can be because of gear oil gone too thick when cold. Driving those 5-10 Km make the oil hot and less thick so shifts work fine.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 13:25   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

I have heard of such stories with the 2008 version of the Palio MJD. Which year was your Palio manufactured? All 2008 Palio SDX's have had issues with the clutch. Either the clutch was replaced or a modified bracket being put to over come this issue.

I am sure other SDX owners will pour in a lot of suggestions on this issue.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 13:26   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
To Add: I get 'Gurr / kreech' sound when i engage reverse gear, this happens more frequently (sometimes it works good, no noise).
For this, there is a workaround (works in most of the cars). Engage clutch, shift to first gear, and then shift to reverse keeping the clutch engaged. You won't hear the grinding noise if your gearbox has no other issues. The grinding noise comes often because there is no synchro in the reverse gear.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 13:34   #5
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

Could these issues, Hard Shifting & noise while engaging reverse gear be associated with a faulty pressure plate?
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 13:38   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

Blackbeast,
How did you manage to drive with such a major problem for 22000kms? If VST didn't solve this problem, you should have gone to another TASS.

Which year is your car's make? Is it under warranty now?

As funkycar mentioned, most of 2008 Palio MJD's had this problem - including mine. TASS chaged the 'Clutch Bracket' free of cost under warranty and it's fine now.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 14:12   #7
BHPian
 
Black_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

Thanks for your quick replies Team-BHpians.
Inlined few replies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Blackbeast,
How did you manage to drive with such a major problem for 22000kms? If VST didn't solve this problem, you should have gone to another TASS.

Which year is your car's make? Is it under warranty now?

As funkycar mentioned, most of 2008 Palio MJD's had this problem - including mine. TASS chaged the 'Clutch Bracket' free of cost under warranty and it's fine now.
I am from Chennai, and i do my service checkups from VST-Mount Road and heard bad feedbacks from Concorde-Ambathur. Hence had left with no choice and gone to Carnation now, still no clean answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I have heard of such stories with the 2008 version of the Palio MJD. Which year was your Palio manufactured? All 2008 Palio SDX's have had issues with the clutch. Either the clutch was replaced or a modified bracket being put to over come this issue.

I am sure other SDX owners will pour in a lot of suggestions on this issue.
Yes, mine is of Jul-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
When was your last gear oil change? No top-ups, but complete drain and refilling of new oil. If the issue gets resolved by itself after driving 5-10 Km, I guess it can be because of gear oil gone too thick when cold. Driving those 5-10 Km make the oil hot and less thick so shifts work fine.
I am planning to do that for now, to check whether this helps resolve the case or if not later try to change clutch bracket or so.
The VST folks cleverly said :-) after 19K, this comes under wear-and-tear and it can't be replaced in warranty. and anything should have been done before.

I guess i have Extended warranty, but don't whether that would help, would really appreciate if any of you had this issue and have resolved in any means.
I can try that or try to reach that service folks.
Black_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 14:29   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 1,727 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

^^ Having the extended warranty definitely helps. Do check and confirm to yourself first if you have the extended warranty. If needed take help of any PUG member from Chennai who might have got it replaced under wannranty. If its a manufacturing defect, I am sure they have to replace the component. Most auto makers reluctantly replace parts under warranty/extended warranty. You may have to try harder and be more aggressive about it when you go there.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 14:33   #9
BHPian
 
Black_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^^ Having the extended warranty definitely helps. Do check and confirm to yourself first if you have the extended warranty. If needed take help of any PUG member from Chennai who might have got it replaced under wannranty. If its a manufacturing defect, I am sure they have to replace the component. Most auto makers reluctantly replace parts under warranty/extended warranty. You may have to try harder and be more aggressive about it when you go there.
Sure, Let me try with TASS folks on this, and keep posted on my experience.
Hopping replacing whatsoever called 'clutch-bracket' helps resolve my issue.

Thanks.
Black_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 20:08   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

Blackbeast,

Just checked my service records and found some details. Might be some help to you.
My case is exactly similar to yours. My SDX is Aug-2008 make, issue started at 15000kms (1 year).

- First time when I reported this, they changed the 'CLUTCH KIT - Part code 0071751315' of cost Rs.3671/-.
- This didn't solve the problem and I took it to TASS again within 4 days. This time they had changed what's mentioned as 'SUPPORT, CLUTCH MC MOUNTING BRACKET - Part code 0059089233' of cost Rs.433/-. This resolved the issue.

Both times I didn't pay anything since it was covered under warranty.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 9th December 2010 at 20:09.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 00:47   #11
BHPian
 
Black_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Shifting Gear gets harder - Fiat Palio MJD 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Blackbeast,

Just checked my service records and found some details. Might be some help to you.
My case is exactly similar to yours. My SDX is Aug-2008 make, issue started at 15000kms (1 year).

- First time when I reported this, they changed the 'CLUTCH KIT - Part code 0071751315' of cost Rs.3671/-.
- This didn't solve the problem and I took it to TASS again within 4 days. This time they had changed what's mentioned as 'SUPPORT, CLUTCH MC MOUNTING BRACKET - Part code 0059089233' of cost Rs.433/-. This resolved the issue
Both times I didn't pay anything since it was covered under warranty.
Really great, wondering you are maintaining all these records. Thanks anyways, it helps I can make a note to those guys while visiting to a TASS.
Black_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TATA - FIAT Palio Stile MJD : Crafted by FIAT specially for ME! funkykar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 179 25th March 2014 13:58
Building a Harder, Better, Faster Chevy Spark | Includes Automech FFE Review Eminenttismo Modifications & Accessories 29 16th July 2013 23:25
Swift VDI+ABS or Fiat Punto MJD or New Fabia 1.2 Diesel. Edit- Booked Fiat Punto MJD magnanimousdude Hatchbacks 59 27th October 2010 13:18
Indica Vista MJD vs Palio MJD vs Swift DDiS greenhorn The Indian Car Scene 452 24th April 2010 18:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks