Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th December 2010, 00:00   #1
BHPian

Default Civic, half clutch and sound

Just purchased a pre-owned Civic with less than 16,000 kms on the odo. Noticing an audible ticking noise from the engine when moving on half clutch i.e., while reversing. Any feedback from Civic owners?
Subbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 21:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Civic, half clutch and sound

Its very hard to tell. where exactly is the sound coming from. left, right or middle.

Is there also a sound while turning.?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 22:09   #3
BHPian

SirAlec... between idling and 1000 rpm, it sounds as though it is firing on less than 4 cylinders. This is even when it on neutral and I gently press the throttle. Did not seem to notice this before I gave the car for service immediately on purchase. Sound (lack of purring) is clearly coming from the engine.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

how is the acceleration. Smooth?

If not check the plugs and its related parts. Also check the air filters and report.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even i'd say plugs.Get it checked at a honda service station.if they don't agree with you insist on checking the same on another civic.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 14:13   #6
BHPian

SirAlec / Navpreet318... There is no problem with acceleration. There is little bit of jerking in slow speed but I think that is due to the heavy and highly sprung clutch of Civic. I am getting hang of the same.

Thanks for the suggestions. Have booked with Honda for a check up. Will revert on this.
Old 14th December 2010, 14:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Subbu: I have a similar issue with my Civic (not sure if its exactly what you are going through) where when I release the clutch at very low speeds, say less than 5kmph, I get this jerking/shuddering sound. Have highlighted this multiple times to the Honda S.A but have not had a satisfactory response/remedy till date. Btw, which service center are you taking your car to ?
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 18:58   #8
BHPian

I took it to Sundaram Honda immediately on purchase (I bought it second hand last week) for 15,000 kms service. Changed the engine oil to Synthetic. Somehow don't remember this sound when I test drove. It is not a shudder that I experience. It is sounds more like mis-firing at above idling. It settles down after 1000 rpm.

I am taking it to Sundaram Honda on thursday and will post the result.
Old 14th December 2010, 22:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you feel its misfiring. Then you should check the air intake and its sensor including filter. And Spark plugs and related components
Old 20th December 2010, 17:39   #10
BHPian

I took it to Sundaram Honda. They checked but could not really remove the sound. They have adviced me to give little more power while moving the vehicle on first gear from stand still. The engine sounds a little loud i.e., like a diesel engine at low rpm and then eases to regular purring past 1000 rpm. The noise is not coming when clutch is not engaged.
Old 20th December 2010, 18:28   #11

Hi Subbu
What is this thing about the sound? Are you enjoying driving the civic?If you are a little bit more clear about the sound,may be i can help you.If not, we will take your car for a spin and sort it out.
dr.ashoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 15:46   #12
BHPian

Hello Dr... sorry... must have consulted you. Will stop by this saturday and lets go for spin.
Enjoying the Civic completely. No issues with that.
Old 21st December 2010, 16:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this a 2007 civic around May?
At rpms of 900 to 1200 you hear this tick and at higher rpms no? At nuetral even at the same rpm it did not tic tick, but only at a gear - an you notice this prominently in the first gear?

If yes, I had the same issue. The H.A.S.S guys were giving me all stupid explanations. On escalating the matter to Honda and getting a Honda representative to look at it, the source was identified. It was due to the faulty belt and they changed for me under warranty. No tick tick after that. I was told by that guy that probably the batch of cars which used that belt could get similar issues.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 16:03   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
If yes, I had the same issue. The H.A.S.S guys were giving me all stupid explanations. On escalating the matter to Honda and getting a Honda representative to look at it, the source was identified. It was due to the faulty belt and they changed for me under warranty. No tick tick after that. I was told by that guy that probably the batch of cars which used that belt could get similar issues.
If so get it attended asap, we all remember the infamous one from Rajasthan which used to break down frequently with this issue.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:10   #15
BHPian

Thanks Laluks. Gives me some place to start. Any clue why changing the belt solved the problem i.e., what was the connection between the belt and the sound?