Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st December 2005, 17:49   #16
BHPian

gto: sorry man.
was new at the site. thought i had left my quiery inthe introduction forum....later i could'nt find it there...after i posted another one i found i had actually left the 1 in the technical details forum. :P

speedsatya and mclaren1885: sorry to disappoint you guys but there is no rudra at my BBDO. i am from BBDO HYDERABAD, not BBDO BANGLORE!

cheers.

godspeed.

aloikdagr8 signing out.
ghostrider4385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 17:58   #17
BHPian

Turbo lover: what is the difference between a free flow and a low restriction exhaust? arn't both of them the same?

Godspeed.

alokdagr8 signing out
Old 21st December 2005, 18:04   #18
BHPian

To Rudra Sen: I joined BBDO Hyd about a month and a month back. Asked around, you seem to be pretty famous here.

godspeed.

aloikdagr8 signing out.
Old 21st December 2005, 21:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
thanks a heap man. now that you have been so helpful here are a few more questions to keep your keyboard busy!
1. is an air induction and a forced induction kit the same? plz explain
2. how much would it cost and the company to get it from.
3. how much of an increase in bhp would it give me to get a free flow, throttle and an intake filter...with and without the forced induction kit?

i can only spend about 20 - 30 grand right now so the baleno engine is out of the question!

seeing that at the moment you can only spend 20-30 grand theres is no way you can get a turbo charger so the question of forced induction doesnt exist.as it would cost you almost a lakh.

by adding a free flow and an intake filter the gain youll be looking at is approximately 10 - 15 MAX.

Quote:
the only prob is i am new at team-bhp and dont really know my way around the site. can you please explain where exactly you want me to go to in the announcement section.

heres the link to the announcements section.go through it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announcements/

Quote:
Revtech: another question...what size tubeless tyres would you go for on a zen?
which model zen is yours.i mean which year ?

Rev

Last edited by revtech : 21st December 2005 at 21:35.
revtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 21:36   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
iv got a 3 yr old zen petrol, great condition, and want to change it into a mod car. for that i need input for my questions from everyone at team-bhp.
1. It is common knowledge that the zen is a 60 bhp car. and i know about the free flow exaust, throttles (butterfly valves), air induction kits, etc. now what i dont know is how much of a bhp increase can each of these cause. and which of these do i add to get a +20 to +40 increase in my bhp.
2. also the cost of all these mods individually and collectively installed to give me best performance.
3. the spoilers i have seen on so many zens....do they really increase stability at high speeds on a car like the zen, and if so how much would it cost to install 1.
4.which are the best and most affordable tires to drag in? i am right now using the standard factory fitted bridgestones i got with the car.
5. iv seen so many cars with streetglows...some really suit the car and the others that make the car look really wannabe'ish and cheap. now, how much will it cost to install streetglows in hyd. and the place where they can fix them asthetically without spoiling the look of the car.
6.the best and most affordable place in hyderabad for all the above mods to be done.

1. as every free flow exhaust unit is different and we dont have the dynometers here in india to check the proper BHP out put of the cars installed with these units,the vendors will make hyper claims for them but reality is quite different,check out with someone who has a similar product installed.
2.proper free flow exhaust costs at ~15000 rupees here in delhi.

3.the spoilers on most indian cars are for the cosmetic purpose only,they are of no use aerodynamically unless they are imported products of reputed manufacturers.

4. i dont have the idea about the street glows.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:26   #21
BHPian

To Anshuman: thanks man, but i realised that with the conditions of the roads here in hyderabad the glows are not worth it. incase you intrested in glows yourself, you can goto the car shops in jor bhag. couple of my friends from college got them fixed there.

godspeed.

alokdagr8 signing out.
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turbo lover: what is the difference between a free flow and a low restriction exhaust? arn't both of them the same?
yeah ...
sports exhaust ,low restriction exhaust, free flow exhaust ,cherry bombs ,mufflers they are all the same thing ....

another thing you can do is straight pipe your zen... but you need an expert to work on that... dont know wether it can be done on 996 cc engines due to lower back pressure ...just a thought.. but you will have one loud loud zen..

the filter and the exhaust should cost you around 10k's ..straight piping could be cheaper ..
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:51   #23
BHPian

To Revtech: i think im going to save up and put a 1.3 esteem engine in. which is better- a carb engine or a mpfi? and whats the price difference (grey or 2nd hand market) and bhp difference between the two of them? my zen is the 2003 model. also if i put in an esteem engine will i have to change other stuff like my brakes, gear box, clutch, etc. I think im serious about putting in a 1.3esteem instead of a 1.6 Baleno. iv read that the esteem engine mounts perfectly in a zen without any modifications....thats true right? a 1.3l with the free flow and k&n filters will give me about 100bhp ror mabe more the way i figured it out, right?
pretty soon il be joining the ezen cult myself! :P

godspeed.

alokdagr8 signing out.
Old 22nd December 2005, 11:32   #24
BHPian

To turbo_lover: i had thought of straight piping. but i seriously dont like the racket it creates...had a friend do it to his car. thanks for the suggestion anyway. any idea how much a twincam 1.3 swift GT engine would cost 2nd hand? and can that be mounted in a zen without much modifications?

godspeed.

alokdagr8 signing out.
Old 22nd December 2005, 11:41   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
To turbo_lover: i had thought of straight piping. but i seriously dont like the racket it creates...had a friend do it to his car. thanks for the suggestion anyway. any idea how much a twincam 1.3 swift GT engine would cost 2nd hand? and can that be mounted in a zen without much modifications?

godspeed.

alokdagr8 signing out.
u want to plonk in a 1.3 twin cam enigine?? here in bangalore the entire thing with the works on braking,suspension et all will cost u around 1.5-2 lakhs..a better bet would be to get urself the 1.3L esteem engine which is a direct bolt on,and with a good head job and a few works u should be able to get out 90 bhp in the MPFI version unless u go forced induction..

the twin cam engine is also quite an easy job and we have atleast a million cars in bangalore running this setup..just that it would turn out to be way more expensive..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 11:54   #26
BANNED

[quote=mclaren1885]u want to plonk in a 1.3 twin cam enigine?? here in bangalore the entire thing with the works on braking,suspension et all will cost u around 1.5-2 lakhs..

Hey Mclaren1885,

It is not that expensive to run a twin cam setup. Infact it can be done for almost half the cost you mentioned, unless you want to go in for a rally setup. For everyday street use and occassional dragging you dont need to make any major changes to your car setup. Better braking though is recommended.

@ghostrider4385 - Go for a carb esteem setup. Works out much cheaper and run it on twin webbers if you dont care about FE otherwise a single 40 DCOE and put in a mild cam alongwith a conical K&N and free flow. The complete setup should cost approx 70 max installed. All items mentioned above included(2nd hand).

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 12:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
u want to plonk in a 1.3 twin cam enigine?? here in bangalore the entire thing with the works on braking,suspension et all will cost u around 1.5-2 lakhs..a better bet would be to get urself the 1.3L esteem engine which is a direct bolt on,and with a good head job and a few works u should be able to get out 90 bhp in the MPFI version unless u go forced induction..
To mclaren1885: Any way i can make cheaper modifications with an 1.3l esteem engine in the car (including the freeflows, intake filter) to increase the car to atleast 100bhp?

godspeed.

alokdagr8 signing out.
Old 22nd December 2005, 12:13   #28
BANNED

Quote:
To mclaren1885: Any way i can make cheaper modifications with an 1.3l esteem engine in the car (including the freeflows, intake filter) to increase the car to atleast 100bhp?

godspeed.

alokdagr8 signing out.
What is your budget. A good condition 2nd hand carb esteem would cost at least 25-30k. The exhaust and filter approx 11k + labour Now you do the maths. This setup will give you approx 75-80bhp max. The same thing with a mpfi esteem(35-40K) + 11k + labour will give you 90-95bhp max.

Viper
Old 22nd December 2005, 12:22   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
well first to answer vipers question,the costs that i gave u includes that for the rebuilding of the engine also..and then work on the head (the usual port,polish),cam,carb(if not going mpfi),the entire exhaust system,the gear box,improving the suspension & driveshafts,braking,and lots of other work..this setup is a total drag spec, i think thats what ud want to achieve when ur plonking this engine in lieu of the stock..just plonking the engine in and improving just the braking could turn out quite dangerous as the driveshatfs must be able to handle the additional burden..

well coming to ur question GR..with a good work on the head and a few of the stuff that i mentioned u could hit the 90 bhp mark quite easily,what u tend to get above that is something that would entirely depend on the tuners excellence in work..u could gain quite a lot by using webbers like viper mentioned but that in addition will cost u money..so unless u have a clear set budget its hard to point out what figures u would hit,bcoz with money comes BHP..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 12:27   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
well first to answer vipers question,the costs that i gave u includes that for the rebuilding of the engine also..and then work on the head (the usual port,polish),cam,carb(if not going mpfi),the entire exhaust system,the gear box,improving the suspension & driveshafts,braking,and lots of other work..this setup is a total drag spec, i think thats what ud want to achieve when ur plonking this engine in lieu of the stock..just plonking the engine in and improving just the braking could turn out quite dangerous as the driveshatfs must be able to handle the additional burden..

well coming to ur question GR..with a good work on the head and a few of the stuff that i mentioned u could hit the 90 bhp mark quite easily,what u tend to get above that is something that would entirely depend on the tuners excellence in work..u could gain quite a lot by using webbers like viper mentioned but that in addition will cost u money..so unless u have a clear set budget its hard to point out what figures u would hit,bcoz with money comes BHP..
Thanks Mclaren,

I already know the breakup. I am from the trade. But like I said for everday use there is no need for any major changes. If the budget permits he can go the whole hog but the poor chap has a very low budget and by just plonking in the twin cam(rebuilt engine) he can get 114bhp straight away which is what he is loking at.

Viper