Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st December 2010, 19:30   #136
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!

Well, I read the rest of the thread after my initial post and i feel VW's response has been fairly reasonable.

1. They have agreed to replace the beading under warranty - good. What matter is how prompt they are in following this up.

2. They offered you a free wash and polish. I would say that as a first level of addressing the problem this is okay. But they need to follow up after a couple of weeks and check up with you on how the fix is holding up. If it still doesn't work then they should take the issue up with VW and a possible replacement.

If you didn't have time then they ideally should offer to pickup the car, do the fix and drop it back. But we got a little more to go before we get that level of service. For a resolution of the plastic issue, i would say - take them up on their offer sometime and see the results.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:14   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Captain there is no harm in trying, actually they should if they are unable to restore the panels to the original color.

When I used to be in Bangalore (HSR layout) I found similar issues with my bike where the plastic panels used to go white. Even in Pune at a particular service center which uses the borewell water the bike used to get whitish deposit. Recently when my car was taken to carnation, it developed that whitish deposit.

If it is a one time activity it is easier get rid of that, but if the deposits are over a period of time then nothing could be done. Again this is my perspective and I could be wrong.

And that rubber beads of greenday's look as if they were bitten off by termites, that is really sad state of affairs, hope A.S.S does something about it.

BTW captain, did you talk to ford on the deposit issue?

And regarding blaming the water, what is there to blame here? In fact in the Rudra sir's post about how to maintain the paint of your vehicle, it was clearly mentioned about the ill effects of Bangalore's water on your vehicle. I dont see anything unfortunate here, especially when users from other cities are not facing such problems
Hello anilisanil,

Sorry for the late response.
Ford @SS says its thanks to the weather/water wear and tear components. In other words there is nothing they can do

I had my car washed by some folks here and they have applied some plastic polish to it. It looks better now but still nowhere as good as new.

I saw an other figo which was 2 months old with the same issue.

GreenDay
now that VW has told you the same thing what are you going to do?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:35   #138
Senior - BHPian

Here is how it looks now. Uploading photos of before and after.
Attached Images

Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:28   #139
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

I went through the whole thread. It was a really interesting read.

I will like to disclose that all Manufacturers are doing Massive Cost Cutting and that includes names like Porsche, Mercedes Benz and BMW.

I was interested in knowing about the Ownership Experience of Audi Q7 so if anyone has that vehicle, please PM me or give me the link.

Get the Beading as soon as possible and get all the Free work done as soon as possible.

I am shocked to learn of so many problems early on. This is after all not the First VW sold in India or anywhere else.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 18:03   #140
BHPian

Going through the review i feel it's a one off case and in case the problem persists (especially the nightmarish beading issue) GreenDay should take it up with VW. Infact an email to the Dealer and cc to VW with the problems and photos should have been the first step.

With so many cars being bought everyday, and the the car cleaning guys having such huge clientele, i doubt if they would clean our cars with the same caution as they did!

Well, it hasn't even been a month since i've bought the my Polo 1.6, but as of now there don't seem to be any issues of this sort. Infact going through the thread, i've realized the importance of getting the car cleaned in front of you! The swirl marks are starting to show and bothering me. Looks like i'll be getting up early every morning to check on the cleaning guy (atleast for the Polo as of now) if not for a morning jog!

By the way, just got my Ritz serviced and the plastic whitening got corrected by the polish, though i would get a better polish. The rear quarter glass metal beadings though have started kind of rusting (just like my old swift).
vipinjoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 22:15   #141
Senior - BHPian

What's the update on this? Did VW replace the plastics?
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 22:21   #142
BHPian

How is the quality inside vento? Same like polo? Or better?
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 23:30   #143
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised. My 2.5 year swift still has these plastics intact and in good shape. One spray for 3M polish/wiping brings it back to shiney shape. Could this be because of the cheap materials used as part of manufacturing in India plants for cost cutting. I am now a bit skeptical about the 2011 Jetta, if its going to be manufactured in India
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 13:13   #144
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the plastic isn't totally to blame. I may be wrong, but the polish the showroom / service station guys use is the culprit most of the times. Some cheap sort of stuff they use. I had this problem with my earlier Omni. Once polished, we have to regularly keep doing that as otherwise the stuff whitens due to elements. My Omni's bumpers and mirrors all went white after the services. Afterwords I always made sure they did not apply the polish on plastics and tires. It looks all jet black and flashy at that moment, but later catches dust and carbon due to its moist texture and also whitens the plastic later. I make sure nobody applies the polish to my new Vista as well, and the plastics are as black as new after about 3 months. Fingers crossed.

Probably the earlier cars didn't have much of this issue since generally the plastics were glossier than today's mat finish with grain.

We shouldn't be really blaming individual manufacturers TOO MUCH. If we dig deep, we might end up finding that many of them source the parts from same OEM suppliers. (Like Pricol supplying the good old gauges for most bikes).

As for the cost cutting - I don't think VW would do it in such overt manner. They have done it where they could - the single barrel non smoked headlamps, 3 cylinder motor etc. But I doubt if this plastic is a result of cost cutting.

VW = GERMAN QUALITY expectations - We shouldn't expect too much. As one fellow pointed out earlier, its us Indians that rate VW as high quality due to the German legend. I have 5 German friends. Native Germans, not Indians living in Germany. In their words - "UFF Volkswagon?? They don't know how to make good cars. They make poor boring cars here. Cars for 'volk' (folks)". They are all from good financial background living in the costliest city of Germany - Munich. The cars they own - Ford Fusion, Ford Focus () Honda Civic, BMW 3, Honda Civic SPORT (EU LE.). None have a VW, and swear they'll never buy it due to its poor quality and boring features. (I must mention - they also say FIAT Is the thing they won't even want to take their casket in...)

Let's not think VW - or any other brand for that matter, would give us cars with NASA certified quality. The biggest concern is the price. Indian masses are constrained by the money we earn. These guys are already doing their best to sell comparable cars in India, at tremendously low price than their western / far eastern siblings.
Problems like these are bound to crop up with cars with western DNA for some time. VW needs to be given some time to settle in India. Even the original Indica had plenty problems in 1st generation.
We just need to keep our eyes open, and chase these guys to resolve the issues that trouble us.

@Captain - If I was you, I won't expect that better look on the mirror assy. to last long. Live with the whitish finish now. It happens to almost all, but you might notice it more since your car is darker in contrast.

@GreenDay - do update us about the latest on your car. Hope its better now.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 18:32   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I have 5 German friends. Native Germans, not Indians living in Germany. In their words - "UFF Volkswagon?? They don't know how to make good cars. They make poor boring cars here. Cars for 'volk' (folks)". They are all from good financial background living in the costliest city of Germany - Munich. The cars they own - Ford Fusion, Ford Focus () Honda Civic, BMW 3, Honda Civic SPORT (EU LE.). None have a VW, and swear they'll never buy it due to its poor quality and boring features. (I must mention - they also say FIAT Is the thing they won't even want to take their casket in...)
Thats really surprising comments from your German friends. Living here in German for little over 2 years, I got an entirely different impression (from other Germans and German automotive forums). VW is no more a "Volks" car (common mans car). The quality has been always improving with each 'Mark' and is coming closer to the other ones in their stable, like Audi. I have a Golf VI for myself and am extremely happy with the build quality. Of course, together with this you also need to pay a premium price.
nirmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 17:42   #146
BHPian

I've booked the 1.6 way back in July, besides the suffering of having to wait indifinately, reading this thread & the horror stories of VW is sure gonna give me more pain, fear & sleepless nights !
manubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 22:08   #147
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Manubhai,

If initial reports are anything to go by, we can safely presume that owning a VW will never match the completely hassle-free experience that Japanese & Korean cars offer. That's a shame really as some VWs (Vento especially) are very competitively priced. However, the long waiting periods, early reported niggles, inconsistent reliability and lack of extended warranties can be killjoys. Even in the States, VWs weren't ever seen as "hassle free" cars.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 23:06   #148
BHPian

Well GTO, with the VW 1.6, I guess i just gotta 'face the hurdles, coz i really wanna play hard' ;-). I'll take the chance.
manubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 12:30   #149
Senior - BHPian

Another case of cheap plastics in Polo. The air vent flaps in my Polo have broken. Just adjusting the air flow occasionally caused the flaps to fall one by one. All flaps of two air vents have broken down. Here are the pictures.

VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-p1010595-large.jpg

VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-p1010596-large.jpg

I went to the workshop today to get it fixed under warranty. They said that pictures of this will be sent to VW and their reply will be told to me by today evening.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 02:43   #150
BHPian

I missed this post earlier, anyway, here's my experience with rubber and plastics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
To me it looks more like a damage from a harsh chemical or detergent. My Polo is 6.5 months old and plastics are shining as new. So please don't jump in to conclusions and blame the manufacturer.
+1
Chemicals like benzene (used in sticker removal spray), Iso Prophyle Alcohol, and even to some extent petrol / kerosene if applied on black plastics will certainly fade it.

Tyre clean/shine sprays are meant only for tyres, if used on plastics, it may react chemically on certain types of polymers. I believe the cleaning guy at the @SS or the guy who did the detailing, inadvertently applied it to plastic parts???

Ages ago I used to repair printers and sometimes would not find a replacement for the hardened rubber rollers. The easiest way to soften rubber was to apply brake fluid or soak it in diluted ammonia. Tannin / Polyphenol acid does a better job but is hard to find. These chemicals are used in the tyre shine / detailing products and are meant for hard rubber only. The eroded rubber beading might be the result of cleaning with such additives??? I can imagine someone doing an overkill job on a black car to get that "all black and wet" look!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Problem 1: Rubber Beading tear issue.
They accepted the issue and termed it as 'Rare case'. They have assured for replacement under warranty. Part has been ordered.

Problem 2: White Plastics.
They offered for a body wash
They had to because they knew they had goofed up earlier using the wrong chemicals at the wrong place.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote