Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th December 2010, 11:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!

For faded trim you need to wash it throughly to remove any salts etc. and then use a plastic protectant on them(like Eagle one, Tw or Formula 1 protectant)

This can also happen due to UV damage(but that takes a long time).

And use that protectant on all the rubber beadings and door liners etc.

For swirls, that is due to a defective wash technique and might have been contributed by the dealership. If you want DIY solution for that, then you can get a polish(sonax auto polish)

or you can contact nirmal or mkh if you want a show car shine!(if you are in bangalore)
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 12:43   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Afterall their engineers have tested everything and even cry when the send the cars outside the factory.
Dont you know Why VW engineers Cry? they feel bad if we cry alone! they wont let us Test the cars before delivery, because engineers have tested already!

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 17th December 2010 at 12:47.
Karthik1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 12:59   #93
BHPian

A lot of people on this thread pointed out that several Maruti cars are doing fine even after 6 years.

On a sidenote, VW and Maruti are currently discussing how they can collaborate and jointly produce cars.
Pedal2Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 13:06   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
... Afterall their engineers have tested everything and even cry when the send the cars outside the factory.
Now we know why the delivery schedules are so atrocious: the engineers must be like possessive parents, not willing to let their offspring leave the factory!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 13:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

i suspect manufacturing defect or a substandard part too. This is how my santro's original beadings are like, 50 months and 90,000 plus kms driven, washed donno how many times and abused here, there and everywhere. Right now there is no polish. And the doors are closed with bang many times, not like a refridgerator.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-photo1655.jpg  

VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-photo1656.jpg  

VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-photo1657.jpg  

VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-photo1658.jpg  

sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 14:13   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Tata owners may take offence. TATAs of today are not bad.
You sir, have no idea about tata plastics . They have been known to dent steel bits of imported cars. Ask ImmortalZ about his civic and the indigo's bumper

In the meantime, try solid black shoe polish on your trim. Remember to polish it well using cloth, else it might rub off on yours
Guaranteed to work!

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th December 2010 at 14:15.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 14:46   #97
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is definitely a case of cheap quality plastic being used to VW. Plastics normally lose their color when exposed to sunlight for a long period of time OR using detergent while washing OR using borewell water. Yes, borewell water does cause harm to the car plastic and even the metal parts. I had seen a NHC where the metal part under the wipers were completely corroded - the car was always washed with borewell water.

The only thing that you can do now to retain or regain the lost color is regularly use a good polish (3M or STP Son of a Gun). Regarding the door beadings, you can check with your dealership if this can be replaced under warranty (?).

Swirl marks would not be a paint defect. You'll need to check how your car is being washed and wiped everyday. Using a normal dry cloth for wiping can cause a lot of swirl marks. Have you ever given the car for polishing?
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 16:22   #98
BHPian

The plastic has been coated with salt due to use of hard water is my take. This is evident from the small portion which has been rubbed off. The beadings are not to be excused though and need to be changed under warranty.

About the wiper - does it mean that they cannot be lifted as we normally do in a car? If so, the guy washing the car should be informed accordingly else it would lead to damaged wiper/bonnet.
Palio_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 17:58   #99
BHPian

Really very sad to see this!

The door beading is definitely unacceptable, considering the premium badging that VW is trying to establish.

Whitening of unpainted plastics due to water is possible of the texture of the surface is very fine. Suggest you use some non-metallic cleanser & shiner. I use Vista brand.

The wiper seems to be very different from the ones they use in other countries (LHD Of course). The arm will very slender / thin in section. Must be localisation of part that did them in.

VW need to come up with better control on their quality if they want to establish themselves.
rajess_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 18:08   #100
Senior - BHPian

apart from the beading i definitely can say that plastics need to be maintained.
i regularly apply dashboard polish on black plastic parts exposed to direct sun and rain.
they tend to get white due to following reasons:

1. applying of teflon/carnauba/ anyother polish meant for metal.
2. Prolonged exposure to hot sun / rains
3. Washing with hard water.

even the best of the plastics can fade away.
even after 6 years the plastics on my alto shine the brand new way.
amit_mechengg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 22:46   #101
BANNED

My sister's First Gen i10 taken delivery on Jan 04 2008. Plastics are just like new. Washed every weekends with bore water.

Hyundai, Maruti are so successful in India, thanks to the high quality of parts they maintain. They might not be the best in handling dept, but they satisfy all other factors.

I'm sure VW too can improve.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-spm_a0506.jpg  

VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-spm_a0507.jpg  

VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-spm_a0508.jpg  

COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 23:03   #102
BHPian

Greenday Hi!

I am sorry to see the issues you are having on your new Polo. However, a couple of my friends have similar Polos and don't seem to have these issues. Also, VW (read Germans) are not known to penny pinch to such an extent, could be possible some sub-contractor supply issue or just sheer bad luck, but i do think maybe if you do get in touch with VW direct, they may possibly reverse the bad ownership experience you are having.

I work for a German agency who has certified their operations in India as well as Germany and can vouch that their manufacturing/component sourcing practices are top notch.

Good luck and hope you have many many happy miles on your polo. (This one being the mint without the hole!)
autobahner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 23:49   #103
BHPian

Funny.My Polo is 4 months old, no such issues though. The wiper stalk has been discussed a million times on Team-BHP. its designed like that for aerodynamics.
Infantarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 01:03   #104
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantarian View Post
Funny.My Polo is 4 months old, no such issues though.
I'm quite sure it is not funny for the owner of the car with the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantarian View Post
The wiper stalk has been discussed a million times on Team-BHP. its designed like that for aerodynamics.
If the owner was not made aware of this "feature" at the time of purchase/delivery, then it is also a drop by VW or the Sales Centre. This is not some routine process, but is a distinct departure from the norm and must be explained. This might be new to India, but still, this is India, and they should cater for the difference. If this had been any other (Cheaper?) brand, then I'm sure it would have been an issue for a lot of people.

Regarding the whitening, there is obviously a problem with the plastics of the car. Most probably that particular car, but still not what one would expect from a VW. I've had Maruti and Chevy cars in Bangalore washed with whatever water is available (roadside car washes), and relatives have Tata cars too and all have plastics in better (darker/black-er) condition that this particular Polo.

Therefore, I think it is unnecessary for Polo lovers to attempt to find fault with the owner and his wash-person/techniques.

Last edited by VeluM : 18th December 2010 at 01:07.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 01:38   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Now we know why the delivery schedules are so atrocious: the engineers must be like possessive parents, not willing to let their offspring leave the factory!
That and it takes 9 months for the baby polo to emerge
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote