Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th December 2010, 06:50   #106
BANNED

Default Re: VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
relatives have Tata cars too and all have plastics in better (darker/black-er) condition than this particular Polo.
Yesterday I was looking at a old Indicab. Just see how shining the black mirrors are.

VW will improve I'm sure.

P.S: I have read Bhpian Gaurav's Polo had the engine head replacement!! And Bhpian uvmallya's Polo had Turbo issues from day one. Never heard of such engine troubles in Maruti / Hyundai / Fiat.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-spm_a0509.jpg  

Last edited by COUNSEL : 18th December 2010 at 06:54.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 10:15   #107
BHPian

I requested my friend in Chennai who owns a red Polo for a pic of the mirror assembly. Pic when the car was brand new. It's a November car.
Is Chennai's water to be blamed?

Friend's Polo
Name:  Polo122.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  19.6 KB

Poloman's Polo
Name:  polo123.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  13.4 KB

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 18th December 2010 at 10:21.
Karthik1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 10:29   #108
Senior - BHPian

An interesting phenomenon. Most of the Polo owners in the forum except one or two are happy about the car. But others are hell bent on finding faults with the car doing extensive investigations. May be a case of Owners pride, Neighbours envy.
Yeah! that Indicab is better than Polo not only in plastics but in all aspects. I rest my case.

Last edited by poloman : 18th December 2010 at 10:32.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 11:19   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
An interesting phenomenon. Most of the Polo owners in the forum except one or two are happy about the car. But others are hell bent on finding faults with the car doing extensive investigations. May be a case of Owners pride, Neighbours envy.
Yeah! that Indicab is better than Polo not only in plastics but in all aspects. I rest my case.
hey cmon, VW has no history in India. Polo's plastics are not better than any of the TATAs! How can it compete with the likes of the rattle-swift or the santro and cmon don't even talk about its build quality; Maruti Alto has been the pinnacle of quality since forever.
And i am absolutely sure i haven't heard about any leaking windows of swift, ac performance and rattles of i20, recalls of a-star, shoddy painted plastics of linea,fiats diesel engines in swift;nope nothing at all yet!
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 11:46   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
hey cmon, VW has no history in India. Polo's plastics are not better than any of the TATAs! How can it compete with the likes of the rattle-swift or the santro and cmon don't even talk about its build quality; Maruti Alto has been the pinnacle of quality since forever.
And i am absolutely sure i haven't heard about any leaking windows of swift, ac performance and rattles of i20, recalls of a-star, shoddy painted plastics of linea,fiats diesel engines in swift;nope nothing at all yet!
+ 1 If i correctly remember in both uvmallya and Gaurav's Polo, VW took the effort to get the problem solved. Whereas if you look at steering rattle issue's and poor AC performance in case of i20, they are yet to be solved and Hyundai is completely misleading the customer.
GearOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 12:29   #111
mgh
BHPian

if the white spots go with vinegar, it is a water issue, if they don't, it is not.
as far as borewell water is concerned, the quality varies quite a bit.
anyway, it is easy to know whether it is a water problem in apartment complexes. if only your car has it, obviously it is not connected with water.
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 13:17   #112
MCR
BHPian

A picture of plastic part from my car. the plastic part is neither cleaned nor polished. But as soon as I cleaned some part of it with just water and dried it, the plastic turned black. Which ever be the car, its highly not acceptable to have the plastics faded just a few months in to the ownership. Greenday, I would recommend you to get the plastics changed under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-18122010135.jpg  

MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 13:53   #113
BHPian

Folks,
Don't jump on me just yet. Whoever gave you the idea that VW means quality ?
The VW plant in Germany is the least productive they have. Almost all VW products exhibit irritating quality foibles, with a trip to the dealer not solving anything. All the way, right upto the Toureg. And to boot, they are expensive to maintain.
The sole exception is the Golf.
On the other hand, subsidiary Skoda are known to have better quality and reliability than VW, unfortunately in India, that is marred by their after sales service.
You want German quality ?
In descending order, the first being the best :
1. Porsche
2. BMW
3. Mercedes Benz
4. Audi
5. VW
This list happens to be my personal observation, and VW owners, please do not take umbrage at this.
JD Power Quality ???
Skoda, then Honda !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
The plastic has been coated with salt due to use of hard water is my take. This is evident from the small portion which has been rubbed off. The beadings are not to be excused though and need to be changed under warranty.

About the wiper - does it mean that they cannot be lifted as we normally do in a car? If so, the guy washing the car should be informed accordingly else it would lead to damaged wiper/bonnet.
The guy washing your car !!!? Give me a break..you love your car and give it to a person who has no idea about paint finishes and stuff.
In all probability, he uses a bucket with a rag, after having washed a dozen other cars in the neighborhood, dip it in the water from a tap ( hard water ), rinse it, and use the coarse rag to wipe down your glossy toy, with the grit and minute debris from previous washes still clinging on. A guaranteed method of removing your paint clear coat within no time.
Note....often the tyres are rubbed down with the same rag.
You love your car ? Do it yourself.
Good exercise and better appearance retention.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th December 2010 at 16:27. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
palioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 14:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Nothing exaggerated here.
But in this case again I feel it is a case of detailing gone wrong.I am not the one who trusts the car washing guy unless I personally oversee the job.The owner himself is complaining about the swirl marks in one month of ownership which gives a fair idea of how the car has been maintained. Can we blame the manufacturer for that also?
Swirl marks can happen if in the quest for maintaing the car clean if one cleans the dry body with a dry cloth. This methodology many times or done daily for a week could definitely cause swirl marks. Especially in black cars this would be very much visible unlike in white.

It is better to leave the dusty car as it is rather than cleaning dry. Or else wash with plenty of water and soft polishing cloth.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th December 2010 at 14:15.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 15:51   #115
BHPian

Default Well lets not compare it to other cars

If you want to find faults trust me you can in any car brand. You just need to look hard enough.

Team BHP forums have witnessed massive failures from the likes of Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz and at the same time we have a lot of Swift owners who are happy with the car. The reason i mention swift is because i own one, and i have had rusting issues on all four doors from 3rd year and yesterday i noticed some parts within the engine bay gathering rust.

But do i talk about it? Hell no. I love the the sportiness of the engine and the handling but i pretend to ignore other issues like Rattling, bad stock tyres, horrible build quality, parts that wear out easily and yes rust.

By no means am i justifying the cheap quality of parts found in the case of this Polo but my point is not to try and compare it to other cars as each of them have their own shortcomings (The Ferrari 458 italia had a a recall for crying out loud)
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 16:18   #116
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, most people do not wash the car themselves.

In my apartment complex, there are 100's of cars and 95% of those are washed by the same bunch of guys. But that does not mean all the cars' plastics look like this.

Also, the owner has himself clarified that other cars in his building do not have this problem. So why is everyone saying that the water is bad or the person cleaning is at fault.

Seems to be a clear case of poor quality plastics. Does not mean that every Polo has the same issue.

Also, what about the rubber beadings on the door? My 5-year old Santro looks better. Now the important question is - whether VW acknowledges and resolves the issues? Looks like they won't and that is unfortunate.

About Polo's reliability, we need to give the car some more time. The maximum ownership experience is just 6 months which is too soon to judge a car's quality and reliability. But even within a few months, there have been multiple issues reported, some major and some minor like -
Turbo problem
Engine head problem
car veering to the left sometimes
brakes getting jammed and car not moving
power window malfunction
bad plastics and rubber etc etc.

There is no point in getting defensive or offensive about VW and Polo in particular. It happens with all cars more or less. But VW in general does not seem to have the reliability of Japs for sure!
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 16:39   #117
Senior - BHPian

I feel the thread is deviating from the topic. It's not about which car brand is better or worse, & it is certainly not about taking a dig at various manufacturers based on one's preferences & likings. But I think it is only fair for us as consumers to look at the good things (be it swift, indica or polo or something else) & expect a quality product to have those.

I feel that by the so-called comparisons being done here, nobody is trying to defile VW's reputation as being thought about by certain people, but simply setting an example on how things should be made better. Nobody ever said that the Swift is better than Polo. I feel most have said that Swift is better than Polo in terms of performance or maybe after-sales or something specific (pointing to an area). Similarly, I have also seen most people acknowledging the fact that Polo is a better put together car than Swift in terms of the rattling in the cabin.

So, I feel that it is only fair to acknowledge something of better quality or should I say, what has fared better (in this case, it would be plastics on the exterior & the pictures posted suggest that these parts have fared better on many other products irrespective of climatic conditions & maintenance) & hope that VW would take a note.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 17:22   #118
BANNED

Default Update!

UPDATE:

After a wait of over four hours at A.S.S, I was finally attended.

Problem 1: Rubber Beading tear issue.
They accepted the issue and termed it as 'Rare case'. They have assured for replacement under warranty. Part has been ordered.

Problem 2: White Plastics.
They offered for a body wash(Borewell water I assume ) and then complete body polish and polish of all plastic parts.
Even I could get this done for 1000bucks but I wanted to know the reason for 'whitening'. They felt the issue is 'common' among many VW cars and were very casual about it.
I had no patience to wait for few more hours for them to wash and polish my car. So left the place.

Problem 3:Wiper issue.
Solution is available in Team-Bhp and is not a niggle I assume.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I need to live with such niggles. Issue might be with water or other environment conditions or VW Q issue. But at the end, CUSTOMER SUFFERS. I wish that VW does more of testing and Q checks and give the customer the best Q product.

Potential VW buyer: NO CAR IS PERFECT. Like a car? Your heart loves it? THEN GO BUY IT! All cars have NIGGLES. So chill.
GreenDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 17:32   #119
Senior - BHPian

^^ Good to know that VW acknowledged the faulty rubber beadings & has agreed to replace them. The issue about whitening of plastics, I feel you should still pursue it & see what VW does about it. What they have suggested is just a temporary patch-up.

Anyways, the bigger issue which according to me was of the rubber beadings is resolved, good for you.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 18:08   #120
BHPian

Default Re: Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
Potential VW buyer: NO CAR IS PERFECT. Like a car? Your heart loves it? THEN GO BUY IT! All cars have NIGGLES. So chill.
Exactly. Do what you like or feel rather than being a fanboy. Easier said than done though. No car is perfect, so give some take some. Good that VW accepted faulty beading and that is a good step IMHO.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote