Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st December 2010, 17:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Brake problem in Fiesta

What started like a good day ended bad for me last week. I had to use one of the infamous flat bed trucks to tow my car. Not a german this time though, it was one from the American origin.

I was driving my car last week waiting to stop at a red signal and I hear this sudden grinding noise from the left rear of my car. Thought it was just a rough gravel patch on the abused chennai roads and I continue to proceed from the signal and thats when I realised the problem.

There was heavy grinding noise from the left rear side, sounded like something was stuck to the wheels and was hitting the wheel archs. Stopped and wanted to check if anything was stuck, but I couldnt find anything. I tried to move the car, same noise again and this time when I tried to brake I could feel the ABS kicking in from the brake pedal with the usual 'krrk' 'krrk' noise.

I give it one more try and I realise that the rear brake shoes were locking up with the brake drums when I appy brakes. I called the Ford Helpline and my car was promptly towed away to the nearest Ford A.S.S. I was there when the rear drums were opened up and checked. I doubted this to be due to a faulty wheel cylinder, but there was no visible leaks and the wheel cylinder was moving free when manually moved with a finger. The brake fluid level was even normal.

Ford A.S.S kept the car for a day and checked the complete brake line and checked the ABS unit connecting the IDS. There was no problem with that as well. They mentioned this could be due to the dust that was collected in the brake drum and the brake shoes getting jammed to the drum, but I am some how not feeling convinced over this analysis.

I am taking my family for a long drive this week, a 2K KM in 4 days trip. I am worried about taking my car for a long drive now. What could be the reason for this whole set of trouble with the brakes? Is it safe to put my trust on the A.S.S folks? They were really helpful and there is nothing to blame on them. Just that the reason for failure was not convincing enough!

The car is used extensively though, I drive around 60KMs+ a day and the car is never parked on a slope with handbrake. It did make a few trips in knee deep water during the heavy rains 2 weeks back.

One more thing, there was a huge rat which jumped off my engine bay 2 days prior to this incident. Any possible damage this rat could have done?
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 17:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Brake problem in Fiesta

Sounds weird! As long as the brake shoes are not weared and brake oil level in tact there should not be an issue. Did they check the ECU for any error codes? Has there been any unusual wear activity (if brakes were to be jammed by dust?) or may be brakes heating up? Were the brakes still jammed when the vehicle was taken to the ASS?

If I were you I would give my car some time before I go for that long drive, nothing seems amiss but just to be on the safer side, but thats just me!!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 17:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Sounds weird! As long as the brake shoes are not weared and brake oil level in tact there should not be an issue. Did they check the ECU for any error codes? Has there been any unusual wear activity (if brakes were to be jammed by dust?) or may be brakes heating up? Were the brakes still jammed when the vehicle was taken to the ASS?
No error codes at all!

Btw, there was this grinding noise even when the car was moved slowly and the locking thing happens only when the brakes are applied. The problem was there when I left it in A.S.S. They dint take it around for a testdrive though!

Quote:
If I were you I would give my car some time before I go for that long drive, nothing seems amiss but just to be on the safer side, but thats just me!!
I am doing that now from today, I am trying to do maximum clicks in city before I take it on the highway. I am trying high speed braking and also braking under B2B traffic conditions. The problem is not there at the moment! The brakes are not reassuring though...
Old 21st December 2010, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
No error codes at all!

Btw, there was this grinding noise even when the car was moved slowly and the locking thing happens only when the brakes are applied. The problem was there when I left it in A.S.S. They dint take it around for a testdrive though!

I am doing that now from today, I am trying to do maximum clicks in city before I take it on the highway. I am trying high speed braking and also braking under B2B traffic conditions. The problem is not there at the moment! The brakes are not reassuring though...

But did they find any obstructions/foreign materials in the brake assembly? If dust caused the brakes to jam, then it should be visible enough, isn't it?

If brakes are not reassuring, why not change the shoes? When was the last time you changed them?
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am still running the old brake shoes & drums, the front disc/pad was changed at 19K KMs!
Old 21st December 2010, 21:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

this is a clear case of the brake cylinders jamming in.
the same had happened on my car on the rear right.
the cylinder was stuck for a moment and when given a light punch started working perfect. put 1-2 oil drops and removed a bit of rust from the cylinder. its working fine till date. if it happens again change the cylinder and bleed the brakes.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote