Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th December 2010, 18:03   #1
BHPian

Default Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333

Hi All,

Like any car owner, It makes me immensely proud to say that my baby is turning five in a couple of months. And, it has been a wonderful journey with her so far.

The sad part is, she's begun to show her age.

Of course, apart from the fact that I am still in love with my Swift, I have also been suitably impressed by GTO's thoughts, and won't think of selling it.

So now, as a fifth birthday gift to her, I am thinking of undertaking some major long-term maintenance, and would like suggestions from fellow BHPians. Please bear in mind that I plan to use this car at least for the next three to five years.

Let me give you a short low-down on the car itself:
  • Suzuki Swift Vxi
  • Purchased March 2006
  • Odo reading 81,000+ km
  • Current FE 12.25 kpl, which is around where it has been all through
  • No major work done till now, apart from starter motor replacement in Oct 2010 - Just regular service every 4 months/5000 km
  • Tyres replaced with Yoko A-drives at odo reading of 48,000
Issues I am facing currently:
  • Noise - Lots and lots of it. Rattles, tattles, squeaks, grunts, all sorts.
  • Pick up - suffered gradually, but to the extent that I now actually have to work on coaxing a wheelspin out of her, which used to be so very easy, I did it at every traffic light. Although the top speed has not been affected at all. I did my best ever of 170 kph (speedo reading) in Nov on the E-way.
  • Suspension - It's uncomfortable because of the harshness, and it's become terribly embarrassing (when others are in the car) because of the various thudding sounds it creates. Seems like there's no rubber left in there.
  • Electricals - Not a lot of issues per se, but my bulbs are going off at an alarming rate these days, and I think this needs looking into. There's always one parking lamp or an indicator bulb not working, and I hate it.
  • Starting Judder - I think the clutch plate is to be blamed here. Every morning after a cold start, on letting in the clutch, I get a feeling like one gets in a ST bus - dhud-dhud-dhud-dhud and then back to normal.
  • Heating Up - This is a recent problem. Goes like this - At idling, the AC stops cooling, and the car gets heated up till the temp gauge nudges max limit. Then, if I rev the car up, the AC immediately goes back to doing its job, and the temp cools down real fast. I don't even know how long this has been going on, because you don't notice anything when the car is running. I pulled over, engine and AC running to attend a 2-minute phone call, and then I noticed this. I guess it's a problem related to the radiator fan/thermostat.
  • Windshield - Mea Culpa. It's gone, and I am to blame. My daily-car wash guy has probably been using a rough dry cloth on it every single day, and I did not notice anything until I began to see big huge fuzzy circles around every source of light seen through the windshield.
Work I'm planning to get done:
  • Clutch Plate - Change, and whatever resultant replacements are needed.
  • Suspension Overhaul - Ideally, I feel like throwing out whatever's left of it inside and fitting in a whole new set. But whatever best is possible shall be done.
  • AC and Radiator Overhaul - replace whatever's necessary.
  • Wiring and Electricals - Check all the harnessing, even the underbody one and replace what's necessary.
  • Windshield - Replacement.
  • NVH - Check the engine and body foundation, replace if necessary. Also, replace the under-bonnet insulation material. Re-damp all doors. Re-torque all things that could rattle. Remove the dashboard to see if something underneath needs to be damped too.
  • Maybe replace my 5-yr old Pioneer HU with the new JBL one.
Budget Available: 50k - 75k.

I would request you all to kindly come up with suggestions - may be add something that needs to be done, may be remove something that you may think unnecessary. My vision is to have a car that I could use for the next five years as reliably as I have done till now. As a result, I am also a little circumspect on modding solutions.

I have not uploaded any pics, since I do not plan to make any cosmetic changes. I'd love to get alloys, (I'm in stone-age, I run on bad ol' steel wheels ) but I don't think my limited budget would allow that, and my preference is skewed towards bettering the mechanical aspects than visual ones.

Please shoot, thanks in advance to all.

Warm Regards and Season's Greetings!

Cheers,
R_S

Last edited by roadie_swift : 26th December 2010 at 18:11.
roadie_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 18:18   #2
BHPian

Default re: Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333

I would suggest to look in to the below at the earliest as they are very much essential for your car.
1. clutch plate
2. wiring and electrical
3. Windshield

and for AC issue, please check whether you have enough coolant. Since in most cases empty coolant tank will end up with engine over heating and AC stop working
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 18:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

@roadie: Even our Fiesta is getting close to 5 years, with 70Kkm under its belt. I have been thinking along similar lines, and this is what I feel you should do:
- Suspension overhaul: You could look and see if the K series Swift had any changes in its suspension, and if it is for the better you could look at how feasible it is. Our car has started showing signs of an ageing suspension with the occasional thud noise coming through over bumps, and the rare bottoming out. However, I still need to compare it to another fiesta to see if it is really aged, or is just beginning to age.
- Windshield: Instead of a replacement, see if a company like Windshield Experts can be of any help. It just might be cheaper. However, I am not sure how safe such a solution might be, so do some research on this
- Clutch plate
- Ask the S.S. to tighten all the lose bolts. Basically give the car a thorough over look and try and fix any sources that could cause a rattle.
- Wiring
- A full service; complete with new filters (you could even look at getting performance fiters like K&N), an oil change (maybe even a switch to synthetic); engine flush (to remove any sludge and deposit build up).
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 18:37   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Flush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
engine flush (to remove any sludge and deposit build up).
Hey, thanks a lot for your views!

Umm, I just don't know about the quoted point. Exactly what is this, and where can one get it done? Will a Bosch service station (where I plan to get the rest of the work done) be equipped to carry this out? Thx again.

Cheers,
R_S
Old 30th December 2010, 00:26   #5
BHPian

OMG, how long you have been using this car without giving it for a service ?

Overheating issue you have can be fatal, try fixing it first on top priority, followed by Radiator cleaning, fixing A/C, Suspension and others....
johnruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 10:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
OMG, how long you have been using this car without giving it for a service ?

Overheating issue you have can be fatal, try fixing it first on top priority, followed by Radiator cleaning, fixing A/C, Suspension and others....
@johnruben - Bro, I can't figure out what gives you the feeling that I have skipped the servicings for my car... and that too for a longish period?

4 months / 5000 km - whichever is earlier - is the service schedule that I have stuck to, all throughout the last 5 yrs. And I have documented every single oil change and filter cleaning that has been done till date, among other things.

The overheating issue is not more than 10 days old, at a guess, and that too because one can't realize it when the car is in motion. I am not in the habit of keeping the engine running for long times when I have pulled over - so it was impossible to even realize the heating issue before I coincidentally discovered it.

The idea here is to anticipate and address all the niggling issues at one go, on a project basis, and have a car that I can use reliably for the next three years or so.

Going by your expression of righteous indignation, may I presume your car will not ever have a worn-out clutch plate because you "give it for servicing"?

You cannot do Preventive Maintenance for every single thing. Some things are made with the idea that they will wear out gradually and then fail, needing to be replaced. The skill is in identifying that point and replace it before it actually fails. That is what I am doing.

Anyhow, I appreciate your concern, and have planned the repair work quite as you have mentioned. Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,
R_S

Last edited by roadie_swift : 30th December 2010 at 10:18.
Old 30th December 2010, 20:41   #7
BHPian

@roadie_swift, please dont take my words in other way, i was just worried for your car, since i own the same swift.

Regarding overheating in idle, i had same issue with my M800, please check this thread, it might help you: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ease-help.html (Very Strange Overheating Issue, Please Help)
johnruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 09:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
@roadie_swift, please dont take my words in other way, i was just worried for your car, since i own the same swift.

Regarding overheating in idle, i had same issue with my M800, please check this thread, it might help you: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ease-help.html (Very Strange Overheating Issue, Please Help)

Hey, thanks a lot, johnruben.. Sorry I got bristled, I really do appreciate your help and suggestions. Will go through the thread and update.

Cheers,
R_S
Old 31st December 2010, 11:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

@roadie_swift:
Here is what I mean by engine flush: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1004482 (Mitsubishi Lancer SFXi 90K kms / 9 years ownership report. Now SOLD!)
Vid has explained it very well in his post. Also, his thread has a few interesting points which you could look at implementing on your Swift. Do give it a read.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 11:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you think of changing the car. You have earmarked 75K to repairs but the car's resale value would almost be same irrespective of you carry out the works or not. More over your rubbers are also in the last lap.
So better look at the option of buying a new car.

My Swift also completed 5 years on December 9 and I am also thinking in this line though my car has clocked lesser KM.

Last edited by rajeev k : 31st December 2010 at 11:36.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 11:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

^^ Please go through this before making any decision.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 11:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Instead of getting a new windshield,get the windshield rubbing and polishing done.What they do is they remove a this layer of glass from the surface and the new surface will be scratchless and you wont face any glare.Changing windshield is a costly affair and this polishing could be done within 2K rupees.Ask your MASS ,they usually have this treatment.Change the oil to Mobil1 fully synthetic along with a new filter.It will do wonders to your engine.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 12:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Why don't you think of changing the car.
Hi,

Like Eddy mentioned in the next post, I had earlier gone through GTO's article on whether to sell or retain your old car, and was imminently impressed by it. It made sense for me to retain this car, basis rationale provided by him.

Also, buying a new car at this stage means taking on another liability for another five years, which I am not too comfy doing.

My car loan EMI will be over next month, and if I can stop myself from splurging the extra money and just convert the same amount per month into a SIP, I guess by the time I really need to buy another car, (maybe two years from now) the SIP amount will help me with a sizable down payment on the new one. I guess I'll keep this car. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Cheers,
R_S
Old 31st December 2010, 14:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

[quote=roadie_swift;2192480]Hi,

Also, buying a new car at this stage means taking on another liability for another five years, which I am not too comfy doing.

My car loan EMI will be over next month, and if I can stop myself from splurging the extra money and just convert the same amount per month into a SIP, I guess by the time I really need to buy another car, (maybe two years from now) the SIP amount will help me with a sizable down payment on the new one. I guess I'll keep this car. Thanks for your suggestion, though. /quote]

Your proposed modus operandi has kick started a similar thinking in me too. My EMIs just ended though.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 16:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Your proposed modus operandi has kick started a similar thinking in me too. My EMIs just ended though.
Hey, that's cool!! Let's save up and invest wisely for a couple of years, and then...who knows? Maybe an X1...