Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th December 2010, 17:10   #1
BHPian

Default *Sorted* - 2007 Honda Accord Power Steering Problem

Hi Team,

Hopefully this helps someone with 2007 Honda Accord. I got a Used 2007 Accord V6. A few months later the power steering pump started making a whining noise. The dealer told me that the PS pump needed replacement and gave me a quote of Rs 34000/- for the pump + labour. Not convinced, i searched the internet and came across articles that solved this problem is literally less than Rs 100. It turned out that only an O-Ring needed replacement. Honda part number for this O-Ring is 91345-RDA-A01.

I went back to the dealer only to know that Honda India does not keep this part and that the only solution was replacing the Pump.

I called up Honda dealers in USA to see if anyone had that part and was surprised to know that every dealer there kept this part in stock. So I asked a friend to pick up the part (which cost me 63 cents). This friend was coming to India the following week and got the part. The procedure to change the O-Ring was really very simple and it took me less than 5 minutes to do it.

Its been almost 4 weeks now since the replacement and the PS has been absolutely silent.

Hope this helps your readers. I tried to find this solution on Team-BHP but could not find it there so am writing it here.

Thanks
Manvir Randhawa

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th December 2010 at 17:15. Reason: Formatting issue, please use Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
manvirr is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 17:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2007 Honda Accord Power Steering Problem Sorted Out

Thank you for your post. It is indeed a smart fix on your part.

Items such as O Rings,Tubes etc. should not be that difficult to source

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2010 at 16:03. Reason: Removing offer. No solicitation on the forum please. Use the classifieds
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 16:06   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: *Sorted* - 2007 Honda Accord Power Steering Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvirr View Post
I went back to the dealer only to know that Honda India does not keep this part and that the only solution was replacing the Pump.
What duds! It's like the doctor wanting to kill you, just because you have a headache! Thank you for sharing this information Manvirr; it'll definitely help many other Indian & foreign Accord owners. I'm just glad you did your research and refused to dance to the dealer's tune.

A lesson for all of us who own cars with a high level of import content.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 16:51   #4
BHPian

It's outrageous. Considering this is India, where customers are much more price conscious, one would expect Honda to keep such parts locally. The culture of repairs seems to be going away, and I'm convinced this is because the car manufacturers keep such tight control over sales of parts. It's only by freeing the spares market that there will be competition in car repairs, and customers will benefit.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 17:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

This is common with most manufacturers here. Something similar happened to me too at a Hyundai ASC. Read quote below for my experience:

Quote:
Last week the AC stopped working. My car was with Dad, he got the Car AC checked at a Local AC mechanic in Dabwali (This place does not have a Hyundai Service station), the fault was traced to AC compressor clutch.

The car was later taken to Hyundai workshop in Hisar. The mechanic even without a proper check-up declared the Compressor to be dead, the Estimate for repair was quoted Rs.35000+ Labor+ Taxes.

I got the car back to Gurgaon to my Trusted Hyundai workshop, the check-up revealed only clutch and coil were damaged, after replacement the AC is working great again.

Cost- 12K for Clutch + Coil + Gas+ Oil + Labour + Tax

Lesson Learnt: Always take a alternate advice before saying yes for an expensive job. In my case i managed to save over 30k.
Link to the original post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1911300
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 17:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
quote of Rs 34000/- for the pump + labour..solved this problem is literally less than Rs 100.
Way to go. That harnessing the power of internet. Shame on Honda for not stacking up parts. The guys are dealership might be ignorant and at slight hint of trouble hell bent to replace the whole thing. But Honda not keeping the spares???
Too much.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 18:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Not convinced, i searched the internet and came across articles that solved this problem is literally less than Rs 100. It turned out that only an O-Ring needed replacement. Honda part number for this O-Ring is 91345-RDA-A01.
Hats' off to you Manvirr. It is quite inspirational to all of us.
Ravindra M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 00:00   #8
BHPian

Hi, I came across this thread while looking for 91345-RDA-A01

I have a crv with the orange frothing problem in the power steering pump fluid container - can anyone arrange for this in Bangalore?
vivekrvcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 01:36   #9
BHPian

Hi!!

I sourced mine from
Usa.. All dealers have this o-ring. I had got 3 of these and i gave them to the guy who bought the car from me.. I'll ask him tomorrow if he still has them. If he has i'll send them to you... No charge... 😊😊

Cheers
manvirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 23:04   #10
BHPian

Hey! Thanks a ton! Did you hear from the guy? Did you have a stiff power steering with a whining noise? Do you know if crv and accord will have the same part number?
Old 17th April 2016, 01:42   #11
BHPian

Hi !! The guy is out for the long week. He told me he'll look for them. I'll know on Monday.

I did have a lot of whining noise but the noise went away once the engine was hot. The steering on the other hand was not stiff at all.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th May 2016 at 03:45. Reason: Removed excessive dots.
Old 1st May 2016, 00:38   #12
BHPian

Hi. Sorry replying late. He does not have the o-rings. But I'm travelling to the US on 8th of May and back on 2 of June. If you want I'll ask the workshop in US, if they have the part. I'll bring it back for you.

Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th May 2016 at 03:44. Reason: Please avoid posting.... like.... this....
Old 8th May 2016, 01:03   #13
BHPian

I got it today! Let's see if it fixes things. Thanks a bunch for the offer to help man
Old 23rd November 2016, 03:12   #14
BHPian

I cam a across this thread looking for a solution to my 2007 Accord steering pump and rack leakage diagnosis. Could someone confirm if the O-ring replacement is only a fix for noise or does it solve a leak?

Mine's been diagnosed with a pump, rack and pipe leak, all of which is driving me anxious with dealer the quoting around a lakh for the whole setup replacement. Any help would be appreciated.
Distant Second is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 14:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Second View Post
I cam a across this thread looking for a solution to my 2007 Accord steering pump and rack leakage diagnosis. Could someone confirm if the O-ring replacement is only a fix for noise or does it solve a leak?

Mine's been diagnosed with a pump, rack and pipe leak, all of which is driving me anxious with dealer the quoting around a lakh for the whole setup replacement. Any help would be appreciated.
Get the car to a competent garage and get the seals replaced in the pump and the rack. My Civic had the same issue and was repaired by a independent garage. Do not go to HASS with this issue as they will charge a exorbitant amount. A repaired rack will do just fine and mostly it is because of the rubber seal failure which causes the leaks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote