Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Do you feel that a car feels more responsive while driving at night?
Yes, the car definitely feels quicker at night 27 90.00%
No dude, you are imagining things. 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th December 2012, 10:15   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Ah, winter time. Engines are feeling better due to cooler air!

On the flip side, it takes quite a bit of time for the engine to get warm.

On my Motorcycle, by the time 3 temp gauge appears, I am already at my destination <grumble> if commuting. Hate to ride below 5,000 revs.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 10:39   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
On the flip side, it takes quite a bit of time for the engine to get warm.

On my Motorcycle, by the time 3 temp gauge appears, I am already at my destination <grumble> if commuting. Hate to ride below 5,000 revs.
+1.

My bike with wisecos takes forever to warm up in winter Worst part is you cannot ride the bike until it is fully warmend up, and that takes close to 5 minutes of idling.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 19:29   #108
Senior - BHPian

^^ True that. The engines take a whole lot longer to reach optimum operating temperatures & couple that with extended periods of rattling in diesel engines.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 14:19   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
+1.

My bike with wisecos takes forever to warm up in winter Worst part is you cannot ride the bike until it is fully warmend up, and that takes close to 5 minutes of idling.
But can't you just slowly ride off with a colder engine, while taking care not to rev that high? Oh, may be it is more likely to stall, isn't it?

I know you can do that in your S10 as the manual says you can drive off immediately after starting. I do that everyday morning, but won't rev up much until the temperature needle has taken off from the bottom.
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 14:57   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
But can't you just slowly ride off with a colder engine, while taking care not to rev that high? Oh, may be it is more likely to stall, isn't it?

I know you can do that in your S10 as the manual says you can drive off immediately after starting. I do that everyday morning, but won't rev up much until the temperature needle has taken off from the bottom.
The bike will be very rich until its warmed up hence borderline unrideable.

As far as the S10 is concerned, I make sure I warm her up atleast aq minute every morning, irrespective of the weather. I just start the car then wipe the front and back windshields, load up the car and then set off.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 22:23   #111
BHPian

I do really hope that this is not OT. Winters my engine feels a lot better but surprisingly my suspension feels much tauter and stiffer or i am getting numb in the cold. Happened last time and this time as well.Hopefully i made sense.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 00:04   #112
Senior - BHPian

An increase from 16.5 to 18.75 kmpl from the ford 1.4 tdci unit. Other conditions remaining constant, i can only think about cold air in the mornings and the evenings(when most of my driving is done).
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 05:52   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
An increase from 16.5 to 18.75 kmpl from the ford 1.4 tdci unit. Other conditions remaining constant, i can only think about cold air in the mornings and the evenings(when most of my driving is done).
Plus I would suspect lack of or reduced ac usage. However since you mentioned ceterus paribus (all other things being equal) am impressed. Over 2 kmpl difference just with cold air is impressive. Shows us that if our engines ate tuned right we can actually get some impressive mileage figures
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 10:39   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am no expert but I feel that wet roads actually may increase the rolling resistance.

And, lower traction cannot increase mileage.
Intresting, we can test this theory some day.Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I feel that the engine sounds are low in winter when compared to the hotter months. Have anyone else felt this phenomena?

Will the denser air have any affect on the sound produced by the engine?
I think the most important factor is engines have it easy since its cooler and most importantly , people do not RIP their cars in moonsoons due to fear of skidding, hence everyone drives in conservative manner as compared to dry conditions.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 20:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Delhi's extreme winters, my car is returning higher fuel efficiency these days by ~2kmpl.

Last edited by bluevolt : 31st December 2013 at 20:06.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 21:08   #116
BHPian

Idk about better, but the Tata Indigo engine refuses to reach optimal temperature even 15 mins after driving.

Name:  screenshot20131229091259am.png
Views: 685
Size:  115.0 KB
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 11:53   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Idk about better, but the Tata Indigo engine refuses to reach optimal temperature even 15 mins after driving.

Attachment 1185139

It could be that your radiator fan or thermostat is stuck open. Your oil will not burn off moisture if it is not run at optimum temps.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 13:44   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
It could be that your radiator fan or thermostat is stuck open. Your oil will not burn off moisture if it is not run at optimum temps.
Hi next time when you start off and expect your gauge to rise after the general driving of 7/8 mins within which the gauge is suppose to rise to indicate normal engine temperature tap on the gauge . Before starting diagnosing the above mentioned .
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 17:33   #119
BHPian

Quote:

Have you seen Indica/Indigo cabs driving with newspapers on the front grill? Or trucks? :-)

I asked my mechanic, he said its okay. I've noticed the temperature rises sooner if I don't strictly limit myself to under 2k rpm.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 11:24   #120
BHPian

Remembered this (GTOs) thread when the car was purring yesterday... temperatures are dropping down to about 15 deg now (in Pune). Late evening and night times are quite pleasant to ride / drive.

Quote:

Yes. Unless the engine is warmed up, when you accelerate it will stall. What I do is that keep the choke half way open for about half-a-minute till the engine note sounds consistent and then take off (Yamaha Gladiator). I have removed the paper air filter element and replaced it with foam (borrowed from Splendor) which I soaked in 2T oil. Foam filter may not give the same quantity of air as the paper filter (so slightly richer mixture), but the oil in the foam ensures that the engine lubrication is better (at least that is my theory ).

For my car, as I have to reverse it out of the parking, the maneuvering takes a minute and that the drive out of the apartment complex (with a couple of speed breakers thrown in) ensures that the engine warms up by the time I am on the main road (Palio 1.2nv Sport)

To enjoy the engine note this winter, I got the engine flushed with Wurth, and put in Shell HX7, and topped off with Shell VPower. Engine is now smooth and has become very responsive

Quote:
Winters my engine feels a lot better but surprisingly my suspension feels much tauter and stiffer
I too have this feeling. I used to think the cold air in the tyres could be one of the reasons.

And I have also observed that our hearing sensitivity in winter is higher - in fact, I can hear the action of the suspension in winter (early mornings or late nights)!
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote