Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th May 2011, 10:14   #76
Mik
BHPian

Default Re: Safari - Unique theft

Till sometime back, i used to live in sec 23, gurgaon - one of the notorious areas for car thefts. Most of the cars are parked on the side of the road(the gurGAON variety) and there are hardly any streetlamps. Infact there had been a few thefts even in my gulli.
My strategy:
1. The Autocop
2. The umbrella steering lock
3. The stereo head detached.
4. The gear lock.
5. Park in such a way that atleast one side side is blocked and ingress/egress is very very tough (less room for the thief to work )

Hardly any of my neighbours used so much. Hence, i feel that with so much of visual deterrence, the thief might have thought -- khaali pili itna mehnat kaai ko -- bagal waali uthaate hai na
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 11:44   #77
BHPian

My heart felt sympathies to your friend on the loss of the SUV. But then the facts are:

1. If someone is adament on stealing the car, there is nothing much we can do about it unless you plan to stay in it.
2. Remember theives are always a step ahead of all the security settings, devices available in the market. Look at the ads available around... any car key can be duplicated even without the orignal key. All electronic alarams are utimately dependent on your battery, so if the power system is compromised then so is the security system.

So what can we do :
1. Make the car a little more difficult to steal than the one parked next to it. As mentioned in the post above lot of ways to do that. But then if you have a Scorpio and the vehicles parked around you are M800s then i dont think the detterents will work very much and the theif is going to get the Scorpio. But the idea to make him work for it.
2. See if you can get a car alaram that works on its own power circuit (including its own battery) independent of the car Battery, and wiring.
3. If you really have a High Value Vehicle, you might want to get a GPS tracker installed, so even if the car is stolen, it can be tracked and returned to you. Not sure how many such services are there in India.
4. Most important remeber to etch the chasis number on as many components of the car (preferably in hidden places) so that you can identify the car when the cops find it.
5. When you get into your car every day, do a once over of the car.. look out for tell tale signs of forced entry, scratches, broken tail lights, dents on the bonnet, removed logos. Remember if a thief had enough time to remove your logo without getting noticed, then getting into your car might not be a big problem.
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 11:57   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Till sometime back, i used to live in sec 23, gurgaon - one of the notorious areas for car thefts. Most of the cars are parked on the side of the road(the gurGAON variety) and there are hardly any streetlamps. Infact there had been a few thefts even in my gulli.
My strategy:
1. The Autocop
2. The umbrella steering lock
3. The stereo head detached.
4. The gear lock.
5. Park in such a way that atleast one side side is blocked and ingress/egress is very very tough (less room for the thief to work )

Hardly any of my neighbours used so much. Hence, i feel that with so much of visual deterrence, the thief might have thought -- khaali pili itna mehnat kaai ko -- bagal waali uthaate hai na
Since there are no street lights, it would also make sense to install a small pole with a tubelight attached to in your boundary wall, facing the street.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 19:37   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Since there are no street lights, it would also make sense to install a small pole with a tubelight attached to in your boundary wall, facing the street.
I have learnt a neat trick which can be easily used by all safari owners. Now the catch is if the thief has a extra pair of it then only he can move the vehicle else everything will fail to start the car.

I have used this technique in trips across north/south and east India.( though i don't even know if someone would even have had tried but please PM me if u want to know the solution. My TASS taught me the trick) I don't mean to be secretive here but then this is a public forum who knows who reading ! But I am free to share the information privately.
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote