Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd March 2011, 21:52   #31
kkg
BHPian

Default Re: Chevy Spark:- Warranty over, trouble starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
I don't think there is any proper way to check but as you have done the job at an authorized GM service station, I believe you would now be eligible for some basic 3/6 month warranty on the job done. If you face any issue with the head/gasket in the near future, they would do it again under warranty.
Yeah, they have given me one year warranty for the work done. I collected the car today, it looks fine as of now. The engine noise has increased for sure plus the engine is not smooth ( may be my perception).

Many parts were changed including head gasket, some other packings,thermostat housing etc. The bill came around Rs 7500 after discount on the labour and all.

But again, I am told to observe the car for next 1000kms and report to them if any problem persists. This " under observation " thing I really do not like.
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 09:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
The problem has been diagnosed to a crack in the head which was sent to a Lathe and said to have been repaired.
can anyone please elaborate how a cracked cylinder head is repaired on the lathe? What material is the cylinder head made of,?

I guess a dye penetrant test/radiographic inspection would reveal if the crack has been repaired?

Last edited by saurabhkanchan : 4th March 2011 at 09:42.
saurabhkanchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 20:21   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

@kkg, sorry to hear about the issues with your car. Hopefully all is well now after the latest repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg
About two days ago I checked the coolant level once again, and it was again was getting low. I opened the underside matting of passenger side and that was again wet. I told them that this seems to be the problem of heating core as all symptoms are quite evident of it.
I did not understand how coolant can get to the passenger-side footwell. Also what is the connection with heating core ? Actually what is the heating-core ?

The reason I ask this is because some months ago, I observed a wet patch at the passenger foot-well of my car (Baleno). I could not fathom the reason - Chennai had had a rainy spell around that time and I was thinking rainwater got in, though I did not know how, since the windows are always rolled-up. Reading your post made me curious about other possible reasons.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 22:22   #34
BHPian

@supremeBaleno: the heating core is made of hollow tube in which coolant from engine is passed. This makes this tube hot and the blower will blow hot air when we select Hot setting in AC. This core is inside dashboard so if this tube develops a leak, coolant wil seep in the passenger side.
Hashim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 14:13   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Hashim.

BTW, is coolant circulated through this tube always or only when we select heater option ? Asking because :
- if it is 'always', then I should be having the leak always, which is not the case - I just had it 2-3 times.
- And with Chennai weather being what it is, we never anyway use the heater here.
So must be something else in my case.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 14:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
coolant circulated through this tube always or only when we select heater
The core is directly connected to the coolant pipes. So when coolant flows through the engine it flows though the core as well. That is why it gets hot so fast. But if the leak is not constant, it might be water from the a/c leaking from the coil box. Make sure whether it is water or coolant.

You can also disconnect pipes from the heater core and connect the in & out pipes together and see if the leak is present.

Last edited by knob : 5th April 2011 at 14:56.
knob is offline   Reply With Quote