Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd January 2011, 14:21   #16
mgh
BHPian

Default Re: Car AC in fresh air mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gansan : If you like driving around in "fresh air" mode, well...do just that. Don't worry about the cooling coil. What the SA told you is akin to "if you use the brakes, you will need to replace your pads one day"
well said!
it ultimately depends on what your priorities are.
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 19:52   #17
BHPian

Even my SA has advised me the same when I complained about the smell when I switch on AC. I used to put on fresh air mode when I drive on high ways.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 20:11   #18
BHPian

Keeping the fresh air option will cause outside dirt,dust,twigs and what not to accumulate inside the blower. I faced this issue with my Estilo and to get the blower cleaned by MASS. Other than the obvious problem of restricted circulation, one also runs the risk of decaying stuff in humid places.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 21:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Don't make a big issue out of this.
Somebody is breathing all the pollutants and its seems not to be a concern, though i wouldn't see it as a big issue.

Quote:
When you open your windows - you suffer the same fate.
This is definitely a big issue, since you are asking for more trouble by letting in hell a lot of pollutants alongwith insects, flies, dirt and what not.One should have seen or stayed in Chennai to understand this.

Quote:
And when you close your windows, and keep the air intake to outiside - it doesn't mean that outside air just keeps accumulating
My GOD's grace, i have been driving & owning cars from the time i remember. Please believe me to have this much common sense.

Quote:
if that was the case your cabin will explode after a while (because of high air pressure inside)!
My MS in engineering has definitely given me the knowledge to understand this silly concept with respect to pressure.
Quote:

Outside air mode simply means that outside air is entering your intake and then existing (very similar to recirculation mode - just that in recirculation - you are not taking-in any outside air)
I am sure to have already answered this too.

@GANSAN,

I think enough has been written on this. Please go ahead and do what pleases you more. Afterall, we can't keep our cars parked unused fearing the "wear and tear", isnt it ?

Happy driving.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 4th January 2011 at 21:26.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 21:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Gansan, firstly driving with the vent open and running the fan inside the city or even highway environs is not the best idea at all. Yes, whatever your SA said is absolutely true. The vent should be open for a few minutes when you had parked your car in blazing sun or there is smoke or other smell inside the car, not for driving with fan (blower). If you forget to close the vent and park the car under a tree, the leaves can get inside and i assure you that is a real mess which you don't need.

P.S. I speak from real experience of AC issues. Just read through the other posts including GTO's. He is doing the right thing but comparing it to using/not using the brakes is a totally different matter. Brakes are for safety, AC is for comfort. People like you and me can afford to spend on safety but to preserve the comfort is a priority if you ask me. I would rather spend on performance. I have driven my cars for extended periods of time without AC due to compressor/blower/cooling coil problems and I know what I am talking about.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 4th January 2011 at 21:40. Reason: Adding the P.S after reading thru
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 22:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneet_ag View Post
In my car (Verna) whenever you switch on the Auto AC mode the fresh air mode is automatically switched on. In fact you cannot keep the Auto AC mode with recirculation also on. I usually drive in the recirculation mode as during traffic the fumes start getting inside the cabin and that is not a pleaseant feeling. The auto mode switches off whenever i am in the recirculation mode.

Anybody else has similar settings?
Strange, usually it doesn't work in that way. I have used two cars with ACC till date and both works with ACC in recirculation as well as in fresh air mode. ACC will cut off only when the mode is changed (windshield, foot, etc)
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 23:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would also prefer to roll down the windows than to open the vents. The SA is right. If you have lived here in Rajasthan you will end up choking the cooling coil.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 10:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks,everyone! I have decided to play safe and use the vent only in absolutely unavoidable conditions. I will roll down the window or take breaks on the highway instead.

I hope no damage has resulted already! Considering the car has only done 8000 KM so far, and must have run on ac for at least half of it, may be it has not. As EL remarked, premature expenses on items of safety is one thing; the same on comfort/cosmetic items will hurt me a lot.

Is there any way to assess for any clogging without opening up? Will measuring the air temperature at the ac outlet help? Both the cooling and throw seem to be unchanged till now.

Last edited by Gansan : 5th January 2011 at 10:04.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 10:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneet_ag View Post
In my car (Verna) whenever you switch on the Auto AC mode the fresh air mode is automatically switched on. In fact you cannot keep the Auto AC mode with recirculation also on. I usually drive in the recirculation mode as during traffic the fumes start getting inside the cabin and that is not a pleaseant feeling. The auto mode switches off whenever i am in the recirculation mode.

Anybody else has similar settings?
Its strange that the Auto A/C mode switches off in the Verna in the recirc. mode. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the climate control option.

I have a similar issue in my Swift ZXi's ACC with a difference. When I select Auto, the "Full Auto A/C" mode gets selected and toggles between fresh air and recirc. mode which I do not prefer. But if I then press the fresh air/recirc. button and chose the recirc. option, it changes to "Auto A/C" and stays in the recirc. mode till the A/C is switched off. No issues there.

Have had issues with blower making sounds when the recirc. mode was left ON accidentally and dust got sucked in.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 21:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will advise the following:

1. In wet conditions or to defrost the windscreen the fresh setting is necessary.
2. If you want to use the AC and are finding it a bit too cool, then switching to fresh is another way of reducing the cooling.
3. When you park the car do remember to switch the vent to recirc (I am talking of manual/wired controls) and not electronic controls.
1. Not at all required. In the recirculation mode itself this can efffectively be achieved.
2. The temperature control can also be used for this.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 00:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
. The SA noticed this and remarked I should always keep the vent closed otherwise lot of dust will accumulate in the cooling coil of the AC, necessitating premature overhaul. He said I should open the window for fresh air.

This got me a bit confused. Even during summer, when I go for long highway drives with the ac on, I periodically open and close the vent to allow fresh air in the cabin. Is there any truth in what the SA says? Can someone clarify?
To be in fresh air mode you need 'fresh' air first ..right??
  1. Using recirc mode gives better FE as there is a lesser load on the compressor
  2. Hi-end cars have what is called cabin air filter (or pollen) filter which will capture all the dust etc in fresh air mode. (so cooling coil is totally protected)
  3. Personally, what I do is crack the driver side and the diagonally opposite rear window to get cross ventilation for 10s or so and thats good enough to freshen the cabin

Last edited by Mpower : 6th January 2011 at 00:43.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 03:17   #27
BHPian

Nicely put by GTO :-) As said by others inside city i try to keep it in Ciculation mode but i do get headaches if i keep it in that position for long time.For highways if its not too hot i just roll windows halfway up else its fresh air mode.
@400Kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 08:16   #28
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I drive my Fiat Linea always with ACC set at 22 deg C with recirculation mode in the city and fresh air on highways. Even in my previous vehicle Maruti Suzuki Versa too, I had followed the same modes. So far, I have never faced any problem with the AC/ACC.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 08:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I would also prefer to roll down the windows than to open the vents. The SA is right. If you have lived here in Rajasthan you will end up choking the cooling coil.

+1 to that. it always left in re-circulation mode + a/c. I have difficulty in breathing if i just leave the blower on. (dont know why, but that has always been the case in almost all the cars, when the blower alone is turned on)

If i need fresh air in the long run, i just crack open the windows a bit, or i will just take a small break. I also swing the doors a couple of times (after a considerable time inside the car continuously) to get the old air out of the car, or when it parked under the hot sun.

Last edited by govigov : 6th January 2011 at 08:30.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 09:25   #30
BHPian

I have been following the below since a long time now:

1. Whenever I get into car after long time or if the car has been in the sun, first keep the doors / windows open for some time. I was told by my friend (a scientist) that plastics leave out some odour which is not good for health, so it should be let off.

2. Always use the inner circulation mode when in pollution places, i.e. cities definitely, one highways if there are trucks around (which is the case mostly). Its not about the filter alone, its about not letting the CO, CO2, SO2 etc to come in.

3. The challenge comes in rainy season as for defogger to work best, fresh air is needed, so I use the fresh air option. In rain the dust is lesser, so it is still okay comparatively.

It has worked well for me
Meer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote