Old 14th January 2011, 01:16   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Severe engine damage in my Hyundai Accent

would be nice if you have the block, crankshaft and the broken conrod pictures
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 15:35   #63
BHPian

Without pictures of the block (from top and bottom i.e. inside), crank and conrods- theres not much to discern----- however, from the other pieces, doesn't look to me like a severly overheated engine; head gasket looks pretty clean- as does the camshaft, only measurements will be able to work out the state of the engine.
kulvinder singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 16:07   #64
BHPian

lynx (notice you are online)--- where exactly is the car-- may be able to get someone to go and have a look- take relevent measurements etc..
Old 14th January 2011, 16:13   #65
BHPian

I was just about to reply. The car is now in Vellore, TN - about 150 km from Chennai, 150 km from Pondicherry and 200 km from Bangalore. Not sure if any team bhp member would be close to the place. The only decent mechanic I hear in the city refused to come into the hyundai service center to check the vehicle out.

I am presently back at home in Chennai for the holidays so will try to take pictures of the crankshaft and the connecting rods when I can get back to the service center next week. Thanks.
lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 17:55   #66
CPH
BHPian

The sump is definitively not the cause of the oil leak. This sump is neither cracked nor dented/ bent enough to have caused the leak. I have seen in my many years in gthe field impacts on sumps that the engines survived with no long term effects. This sump is not damaged to justify the impact theoty of the dealer.

@ kulvinder singh - the above mentioned engine was restricted to 7.5k and dry sumping was not allowed. Also front crank seal is very high up.

@ lynx - It is time that you go in heavy. There was no outside influence that caused the damage.

This damage was caused by some slop work at the dealer. The sump and whre the oil residues are show clearly where the loss was originating from. BTW this is my line of work for over three decades, which is not just a load of speculation on my part.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 18:08   #67
Team-BHP Support

That sump seems to be perfectly healthy, looks like the drain plug just came off and started leaking oil.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 18:22   #68
BHPian

Thanks all. I will go to Hyundai Regional Office in Chennai on Monday and see if I can get this sorted out. Just another technical question though.

If was in fact an improperly fitted plug with too much or too less torque or the mechanic forgetting to put the washer before screwing it, could it have taken more than 2500 km (last oil change) to come undone?
Old 17th January 2011, 13:43   #69
BHPian

Update:

Spoke with the PR executive for south zone at the regional office today. I was told that:

1. from my pictures, it is evident that there is no damage to the threading on the oil sump so that rules out over tightening at the service center.

2. since there was no oil on the floor the night after the last service, that rules out the screw-type oil drain plug to have been fit loose at the service center.

3. since the all warning lights came on after the engine stalled, it rules out there being an electrical malfunction with the oil indicator switch.

4. all the above also rules out there being any manufacturing defect or poor workmanship at the earlier service.

So, in essence, it would not come under warranty.

I guess now the only option I have is to go ahead with approaching the consumer redressal disputes forum, and like you suggested, the media?
Old 17th January 2011, 16:53   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
Update:

Spoke with the PR executive for south zone at the regional office today. I was told that:

1. from my pictures, it is evident that there is no damage to the threading on the oil sump so that rules out over tightening at the service center.

2. since there was no oil on the floor the night after the last service, that rules out the screw-type oil drain plug to have been fit loose at the service center.

3. since the all warning lights came on after the engine stalled, it rules out there being an electrical malfunction with the oil indicator switch.

4. all the above also rules out there being any manufacturing defect or poor workmanship at the earlier service.

So, in essence, it would not come under warranty.

I guess now the only option I have is to go ahead with approaching the consumer redressal disputes forum, and like you suggested, the media?
Ask the person who gave you the above explaination as to how the oil drain plug would have come off from the sump?

In the above explaination he/she has tried to explain your rationale on how the drain plug has come out and conviniently not answered the main question.
DieselFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 17:37   #71
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Your question should be: How come did the Plug come off??
If tightened properly there is no way that it can unscrew itself out.
There has been a dereliction of duty.
They have to pay for it.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 19:15   #72
BHPian

Yes, I asked that of course. He told me he doesn't know and he asked me to explain it since no one except me can say what happened in the 140 km after the last service. I didn't know what he expected me to say.

As far as he is concerned, it is clear to him that it was not due to manufacturing defect or poor workmanship because of the four points I have listed so it would not be considered under warranty.
Old 17th January 2011, 21:50   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

IF the oil leaked out of the sump because the drain plug was knocked off (acc. to A.S.S. guys' theory), how come the sump and the threading of the plug hole is not damaged at all?

Just show him the perfectly-intact plug hole, and that would disprove most of his BS assessment.

The most likely scenario is they goofed up during service, and then to hide it, opened up your engine before any external professional can take a look at it or make an assessment. Stinky fishes here. Don't let it go easily.

They might have decided that it's not covered under warranty, but why didn't they wait for the insurance guys to take a look before dismantling everything? There's no way they're authorized to take a call on behalf of the insurer, at least not before a survey is done. This smells rotten all the way.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th January 2011 at 21:58.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 21:58   #74
BHPian

Chetan,

No he didn't say that. He said he did not know how it could have happened and told me only I could know. He says as long as there was no leak on the floor where I had parked after the last service (the day before) and no oil lamp indicator on the dashboard, it proves that it was not poor workmanship.
Old 18th January 2011, 00:16   #75
BHPian

Well as i said before-- the likelihood of an Oil plug spinning off and causing a "SUDDEN EVENT" failure such as the one you described is very very low!-- not taking the side of Maruti Regional----- lynx: the issue firs't and foremost is what actually is the damage to your engine??? So far there is an assumption that it is a Engine Seizure. And this is based on a Mechanics Garage (A.S.S.) who have from the outset given some serious rubbish: Bent chassis, Oil plug being knocked out etc.. and before anyone can examine it or YOU can do to take the car away-- stripped the engine to bits ( something highly unnecessary- to check for conrod and crank/bearings damage) --in short the engine is now in pieces- you can't take it away from them ( unless you intend to rebuild it yourself) They wan't c 70K rupees out of you-- They (the A.S.S) are not concerned about Warranty/Insurance etc.. They have your engine-- in pieces> (whether there was anything seriously wrong with it in the firs't place. My suspicion is there wasn't!!!!!)