Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd January 2011, 14:39   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Severe engine damage in my Hyundai Accent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
I These letters are best sent recorded.
OT: What is this? Sending letters recorded?? I never heard of it? How you do it?
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 02:04   #92
BHPian

CPH,

I first sent them an email and then a physical mail two days later. That was their reply to the email.

To clarify the service dates, here is a quick summary of the services:

October, 2010: Complete general service including engine oil change, at 22,800 odd km.

25th December, 2010: Had mainly taken the car to the service center to get my rusted alloy wheel nuts changed to new ones (which I had bought from an alloy wheel shop outside). This was at 25,000 odd km. Since I had come all the way to the service center I had asked them to do a general checkup as well since I had a long drive the next day. The bill breakdown was nut change (Rs.270) and general checkup (Rs.50).

26th December, 2010: Engine stalling on the highway with major oil spillage, less than 150 km after the last general checkup.

Last edited by lynx : 24th January 2011 at 02:08.
lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 19:13   #93
CPH
BHPian

Thanks for this Lynx. Now it is much clearer for me to give you the relevant advise.

You have a fairly good case. Obviously you gave them the car to make sure that they check and rectify/point out problems. They have charged you but failed to identify a situation that led to a fatal engine incident, which clearly shows a sloppy work. Since there is no manufacturing defect and it is higly unlikely that oil drains itself for no other reason than sloppy work at the previous service.

They failed in either case to work to the levels you can expect from a dealer.

You have entrusted them with your vehicle on the understanding that they are a reputable workshop with the relevant expertise that is needed to be approved by Hyundai.

Obviously they have failed to meet the requirements by sloppy work, which they are not willing to take responsibility for.

I would advise you to take the wording along these lines to the relevant court/authority.

Send the dealer and Hyundai a letter of intent, stating that it is clear that this incident happened because of sloppy work, which wither is due to the dealer or the lack of training by Hyundai. You give them a forthight to respond in writing to settle the matter in an acceptable way or otherwise you will takr the matter further seeking compensation and reserving the legal right to report this to any means of mass communication as well as further action yo deem necessary.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 21:23   #94
BHPian

More than a week since the above mail. So far no reply from Hyundai.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:32   #95
BHPian

Still no sign of a reply from Hyundai. Anyway, I took delivery of the car on Saturday. The bill was a little over Rs. 55,000. They have given a detailed bill this time.

Started driving back home and heard a flapping noise halfway through the journey. I noticed the front right wheel cover (black plastic that forms the floor of the wheel arch) wasn't fit properly so had bent back and got cut by the spinning tyre due to friction. I had to cut the plastic in half to stop it from touching the tyre. I also had to throw away the cut portion because it was so badly damaged by then.

After reaching home I inspected the engine bay and noticed the wiper fluid level was extremely low. I filled it up and immediately noticed the problem - all the liquid was flowing to the ground as fast as I was filling. The can is obviously damaged. It was perfect before giving the car for service.

The allen key used to tighten the alloy wheel nuts was missing. I called the assistant service manager and he is clueless. Now I do not know how I am even going to remove the nuts when I need to.

I am terribly unhappy with the whole experience. I am going to the lawyer's office tomorrow afternoon. I really hope I will have some respite after that.
Old 7th February 2011, 16:19   #96
Team-BHP Support

Glad to know that vehicle is back. Hopefully Hyundai will give you some goodwill discount atleast at the end.

Wiper fluid, check if the tube is connected at the can end, if not water will leak.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 17:31   #97
CPH
BHPian

I would not have cut out the bit and rather called the manager to come out and recover you and make some photos of it. This is rediculous and needs be taken further.

And taking it further means publicly shaming them alongside court action.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 21:08   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
Still no sign of a reply from Hyundai.
This is what the great HMIL has become nowadays. They simply ignore people who repeatedly raise complaints and they will NOT take action against erring "authorised" workshops, no matter how many proofs you provide them .

It seems those jokers higher up are there only to receive their monthly salaries and enjoy their "Hyundai Life", the customer's troubles and concerns can go to hell.

Lynx's example is another how these HMIL honchos treat troubled customers, I am sure he must have tried e-mailing and calling as many people in HMIL as he could. But these jokers lack the will and the heart to help troubled customers and they prefer sit and on their big fat egos.

Unless you are a goonda or a fellow who has political or police contacts and can go over there and rough these jokers up, they will never understand or respond. A clear case of "ghosts of kicks do not understand the language of words" .

Don't lose hope and one word of advice. In case you decide to fight in the court, hire a lawyer who is your close friend or someone whom you can trust with your life. He must not sell himself to HMIL, in case they throw some money in front of him to make the case either weak or to make him go slow on the case.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 7th February 2011 at 21:17.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 11:23   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
More than a week since the above mail. So far no reply from Hyundai.
Its pretty obvious that the Hyundai Office will try to cover up what the *** has done. They will side with the *** and take the customer for a ride. HMIL has correctly assessed the loopholes in the judicial system of our country and worked its way into taking customer's for a ride.

Had your car been in the U.S, by now Hyundai would have come out with a recall/solution for problems like these. But in India, Hyundai has become just another government run company.sab kuch chalta hai, this is india. Some of the RMs and AMs are members of this elite forum, Moderators, do they deserve to be called BHPians?

Lynx fight it out in court, dont let HMIL and th dealer get away with this
saurabhkanchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 01:21   #100
BHPian

Just an update. A legal notice was sent a few days back. A nominal compensation was claimed as advised by the lawyer.

CPH, are you from India?

We were not sure who all to send the notice to. The lawyer suggested the showroom I purchased the car from, the service center who did the service at 25k km and the service center who did the service the day before the mishap. I suggested to send to Hyundai head office and Hyundai regional office as well so we sent it to all five.

15 days after the registered post acknowledgment is received for the notice, we will be filing the case. I need help with:
1. Exactly how to approach the case, and
2. Who all to file it against.

Thanks.
Old 5th March 2011, 09:02   #101
Senior - BHPian

The compensation you ask for should be based on the damages you have suffered. This includes the cost of getting the car repaired (towing charges, parking charges, repairs, parts and other ancilliary expenses) plus the time you had to spend on all these activities plus damages for the mental agony. You cannot claim a nominal compensation from the other party in a notice and then increase the claim amount once in court. That would be very bad. I mean if you suffered a loss of Rs. 2 lacs for e.g., why would you claim a compensation of only Rs. 50,000/-? If the other party decides to compensate you and close the matter, you will only receive the 'nominal' compensation you had asked for, not your actual losses.

If the service centre which worked on the car immediately before the mishap is an authorized Hyundai service centre, then I think you can include HMCL as one of the defendants. If it's not an authorized service centre, then HMCL doesn't come into picture, it's between you and the service centre.

I hope you have included all the important details (such as the sequence of events leading to the incident, follow up action etc) and documents along with the notice. It will help the other party know the substance in your complaint. If they decide it's tenable in a court of law (i.e. you can fight it out in the court and there's a chance of you winning based on the merits of the case), they may opt for a settlement right away (though there's no guarantee).

I don't know if it's too late, but I suggest you check with the lawyer (or get second opinion) on the 'nominal compensation' part. If you have been wronged, it's your legal right to claim compensation for all the losses you incurred because of the wrong. Don't shy away from asking what's fair and square.

Also try a consumer court instead of a regular court. The case may be decided faster.

Last edited by honeybee : 5th March 2011 at 09:03.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 09:16   #102
BHPian

In our case, we sent the notices to
1. The dealership/workshop from where we bough the car and the ones primarily responsible for the car's present state responsible - Om Hyundai, Junagadh
2. The Hyundai Regional Office in Ahmedabad
3. Hyundai factory/Head office in Tamil Nadu

I thought of making the Hyundai offices in Mumbai( West 2 RO) and New Delhi) Sales & Mktg HQ) answerable but the lawyer advised against it and said later it can be done.

Be warned, even a legal notice will not move Hyundai, such is their arrogance and contempt for the customer. The case could drag for a very long time before something concrete comes out.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote