Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th May 2011, 00:11   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Scorpio Automatic: Transmission Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Yes, the problem was solved. You should take it to the service center and get it sorted out.
Phew! Thanks. That makes me feel much better. I am off to the service center as soon as the day dawns.
ananth_iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 14:03   #17
BHPian

An update from me on my vibration problem (I am not quite ready to call it a transmission problem as yet):

Took it to India Garage at Guindy (Chennai) yesterday. He asked me if the AT hose had been changed and I said yes. Then we took it out for a test drive with a computer hooked up to it. The service engineer drove for the first 3-4 kms and no vibration! I noticed, that somehow when he drove, the vehicle was steadily keeping to 2000+ rpm - he wasn't agressive or anything. Then we pulled over and I took the wheel. Did my best to keep the vehicle in the 1600 - 1700 rpm range - no significant vibration (there was some but much lesser than what I have been experiencing in the last 4 days). Tried my best to replicate the problem to a not too successful outcome. The service engineer with the laptop claimed that the laptop was measuring all the sensors as working well. Finally, they told me that all they could recommend was a transmission fluid change and that would mean leaving the vehicle in the service center for 3-4 days. I declined. I asked them to check quantity and quality of transmission fluid visually and top up if necessary. They did and found nothing wrong with the transmission fluid. I took back the vehicle after 2-3 hrs with nothing done on it. The vehicle still vibrates intermittently and I am hoping that I can keep it low with some modifications to my driving style until I can get back to Coimbatore and have a converation with the Service Center there.

All in all, the problem still persists but I have decided to live with it for 10 days. Not sure if that is the right thing to do, but that's the plan of action for now.

One more update, I told the Service Engineer about hondadude's transmission sensor and EGR valve fix and their response was their computer was showing the transmission sensor working fine and that the EGR valve could have nothing to do with a vibration in an automatic - as such it is not a component that is unique to an AT anyway and what an EGR valve problem could do was to choke the engine to deny power - but that is not what is happening here.

Last edited by ananth_iy : 5th May 2011 at 14:07.
ananth_iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 12:35   #18

Default Stubborn vibration at exactly 1900 RPM, Scorp VLX-AT

Friends, please help with your expertise. I bought a new Scorp VLX-AT in Feb2012. I am pleased with it except that there is a vibration from the centre console (dashboard/shifter area) at *EXACTLY 1900 RPM* while moving only.

It sounds like a metal part moving against plastic. Other than that, the AT works beautifully. SKS Bangalore seems clueless - they tried pulling apart the dashboard assemblies, checking for loose joints/wiring etc and put in some "clip" last month - that didnt work.

! went back to them early this month a second time, they called the Mahindra engineer, they ordered a new shifter assembly and replaced the old one under warrantly (mileage under 5k). The vibration was gone when I received the car back early July but now its back strongly. Vibrates ONLY AT 1900 RPM, only while moving. The car has been in the service station for 5 days in two visits, with no resolution of the issue.

Its not a big pain in city when engine speed changes constantly, but on ring roads or long drives it drives me nuts because 1900 RPM is cruising RPM, needle stays on it for long. Also wondering if this is the symptom of a bigger transmission issue. Please help with your knowledge and ideas!!

Note from mod - please use paragraphs to make it more readable

Last edited by noopster : 18th July 2012 at 16:48.
virgo129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 13:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Stubborn vibration at exactly 1900 RPM, Scorp VLX-AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo129 View Post
Friends, please help with your expertise. I bought a new Scorp VLX-AT in Feb2012. I am pleased with it except that there is a vibration from the centre console (dashboard/shifter area) at *EXACTLY 1900 RPM* while moving only.

It sounds like a metal part moving against plastic.
Such vibrations are usually a result of some loose/malfitting plastic trim part, and require time and patience to catch, which I m sure, SKS didn't have, due to their workload. I do not think it is the shifter unit.

Where do you stay at Bangalore? Is it possible to bring your vehicle down to Chrome Motors, Mysore Road this weekend? I can come there too and since Chrome is not as overloaded as SKS, we can try to identify the reason for the sound there.

PS: I DO NOT work for Chrome, it is just that I know the GM Service there and I stay around 5kms from them.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 15:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Our Xylo's dashboard and steering were vibrating excessively. The problem was due to damaged (or worn out?) propeller shaft bearing (as told by Service Advisor).
Dashboard and Steering Vibrations (Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS):-Spacious, Feature-Packed, 8-Seater, Head-Turner Beast is Here)
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 15:56   #21

Default Re: Stubborn vibration at exactly 1900 RPM, Scorp VLX-AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Such vibrations are usually a result of some loose/malfitting plastic trim part, and require time and patience to catch, which I m sure, SKS didn't have, due to their workload. I do not think it is the shifter unit.

Where do you stay at Bangalore? Is it possible to bring your vehicle down to Chrome Motors, Mysore Road this weekend? I can come there too and since Chrome is not as overloaded as SKS, we can try to identify the reason for the sound there.

PS: I DO NOT work for Chrome, it is just that I know the GM Service there and I stay around 5kms from them.
Devdath, thanks very much for that quick and useful response. I will try to PM you (I'm not a portal regular) so I can figure out a way to use your influence with Chrome!
virgo129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 16:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would just like to add, though we dont have a Scorpio AT, we had a little problem of VIBS in my friends RITZ, the vibration was more than what one would get in a higher gear and low speed, when checked the Front brake pads were changed and the problem was resolved.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 17:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo129
I had a similar problem - didn't quite notice if it was at 1900 rpm. Do you park the car in the sun? If you do so, the plastic on the dashboard expands and causes a nasty vibration. This is what the Service Manager explained to me and I found that my vibration was gone if I parked in the shade.

There was also a different vibration that I had with the AT and that actually made it seemed like I was driving on a potholes filled road even when the road was smooth. That was went away with a transmission fluid flush.

Hope this helps.
ananth_iy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 12:04   #24

Contrary to advice of my friends and family, I bought the Scorpio AT. Figured that it was the best value for money AT SUV.

The 3rd day after delivery, problems started when I used to start the car in the morning. The minute I pushed it into D or R and slowly release the brake, the car did not move and jerked violently and lighting up the warning sign on the dash.

Took it to the dealer who diligently forwarded the car to the workshop. They did some diagnostics and returned the car saying the problem was solved. The next morning again after starting the car and pushing it into R, the car jerked violently and the warning sign lit up again.

I observed that this problem occurred only when the car was started after about 6-8 hours. If i let the engine idle for about 40-50 secs after ignition, then this problem did not occur. Took it to the workshop after 5000 kms for the first service and explained all the problems. The workshop took about 6 days to check everything, rectify and sent the car back.

again the next morning, same problem occurred. I have to take the car again to the workshop and if the problem is not resolved, I will have to get rid of it.

Moral of the story:- Read TEAM-BHP forum before buying the car. If I had read all the problems posted in this thread regarding the Scorpio AT, I would have never bought it.
Spock is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Shouldnt a diesel vehicle with turbo be allowed to idle in before starting journey and also before switching off the engine. Read somewhere that its a good practice.

Are you facing any other issues from the vehicle?
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
I observed that this problem occurred only when the car was started after about 6-8 hours. If i let the engine idle for about 40-50 secs after ignition, then this problem did not occur. Took it to the workshop after 5000 kms for the first service and explained all the problems. The workshop took about 6 days to check everything, rectify and sent the car back.
It's possibly a problem with AT wiring or coupler, they will need to remove the coupler AT coupler from both the end and seem if there is some problem with it, it could be lose and possible the initiation only happens when there is some vibration, I had a similar problem on day 3 and was not able to put the R, finally the issue was fixed by disconnecting and then reconnecting the AT coupler properly again.
No harm in getting this checked and done!

-Pramod

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd August 2012 at 23:50. Reason: Fixing quotes
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 08:56   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
It's possibly a problem with AT wiring or coupler, they will need to remove the coupler AT coupler from both the end and seem if there is some problem with it, it could be lose and possible the initiation only happens when there is some vibration, I had a similar problem on day 3 and was not able to put the R, finally the issue was fixed by disconnecting and then reconnecting the AT coupler properly again.
No harm in getting this checked and done!

-Pramod
Dear Pramod,

Thanks for the input. Tried that as well. The car was at the dealers for 6 days this time. Problem was solved. This morning was the third day after the problem was solved. Alas, it has started again. I did wait for the customary 40-50 seconds for the car to warm up but the same problem again. It just would not move. I have no more patience with Scorpio or M&M. Guess, I will have to turn to another AT SUV. The problem is that there isn't a good one around. The Chevy Captiva is the only one that suits and its already there in the family. The Fortuner is not worth the money. For a 6-ft large guy, its not easy to sit with your knees pointing to the roof. Same problem with Endeavour. Plan to check out the Koleos and Santa Fe. All inputs are heartily appreciated.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 11:59   #28
BHPian

Surprising amount of issues - could someone describe the ATF specifications being used for the Scorpio transmission?

Is it Dexron III, Dexron VI, Mercon V, SP III?
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 10:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Team,

A week back, engine check light on the instrument cluster of my Scorpio AT lit up. Transmission was behaving erratically with violent jerks on shifting from N to D or from N to R. The intelligent ECU understood this issue and is in limp mode.

Car was sent to the workshop at Koncept Automobiles Ltd., Noida on 28th December 2010.

Following error codes could be retrieved from the scanner:
P0721
P0302

If the service advisor is to be believed, both these error codes are related to AT. The issue still persists after swapping the sensor with a new one.

Workshop people raised a request with Mahindra and are waiting for their response ever since. They say Mahindra have asked them to hold on with their diagnosis until their next notice. 7 days already, no development to resolve this issue!

Has anyone heard of such an issue with Scorpio AT?

I request members, especially those from Mahindra (SPIKE, BD Sir) to chip in and express their views on this.
Sorry to reopen this thread after a long time but i seem to have hit upon the same issue as above. My AT has done 54500kms and is out of warranty. Hit upon this issue during my last week drive from BLR to Pune. I was 50kms away from Pune when the engine lite started to glow and immediately vehicle would go in to a limp mode with high RPM. Did a few restarts and the light would go off and engine worked as normal for a few kms, the engine lite would again resurface with engine getting in the limp mode.

I took the vehicle to Silver Jubilee motors the next day and they said its a 4-5 days procedure for which i was not ready since i was not staying in Pune that long. I drove the car back to BLR in same condition with speed not exceeding 100kmph (RPM revved up to 4). Net result the fuel consumption was more than anticipated. There was an element of surprise in the return journey, i switched off the AC in one of the toll booth stops and then did a restart the vehicle behaved normally for 100 kms afterwhich the problem resurfaced.

So much on the problem, i gave my car to my FNG upon return, he did his routine of checking battery disconnections etc. and the car is now with Anant Cars. I'm going there today to see the issue myself. I wanted to check if there are any pointers apart from the 2 OBD Codes that can help me to get this problem diagnosed.

Thanks
carbaliga is offline   Reply With Quote