| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|30th January 2011, 12:09||#16|
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad, New Delhi
Thanked: 67 Times
Re: Power Steering in Swift Vxi dead.
So, I took it to the dealer showroom and apparently the problem was that a rodent of some kind had chewed some of the electrical cables. It will be fixed tomorrow. They are charging me INR 1k for the cable and INR 800 for labor. The service manager said that this problem happens in 99 cars out of 100. For which he got quite an earful from my dad. Dad told him that if that is the case then they should pull up their socks and rectify the problem. IF so many cars DO have this rat problem, then why dont they arrange the cables in a rat-proof fashion.
|30th January 2011, 12:21||#17|
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thanked: 191 Times
Re: Power Steering in Swift Vxi dead.
Maruti the word says it all they have gone very high in terms of all types of cost cutting.
They only aim at lower product price and not that much in terms of build quality and less hassle for the consumer.
|4th March 2014, 13:53||#18|
Join Date: Aug 2010
Thanked: 84 Times
Ritz Vxi-Power Steering failure+Engine Jerking
Following is the sequence of events which happened last night wile travelling from Karnal to Gurgaon when the issue with my car happened:
1. The car was running fine. But suddenly the steering got heavy. I suspected a flat tire. Took the car to bylane,stopped and checked the tires. All tires were fine. I thought may be its crawling traffic and tires pressure might be less.
2. Started the car and noticed that steering again seemed heavy and the car speedometer has stopped working. Tachometer was working though.
3. The next symptom was car was jerking when gears were being changed. This prompted me to stop. I checked the basic stuff like whether engine oil is dripping underneath the car etc.
4. Called up Maruti on road assistance and the technician showed up in 30 mins. I specifically enquired about alternator but he showed me that battery was charging so alternator is ok. He checked the fuses, all were fine.
5. The technician tells me that there seems to an issue with relay which is a part of power steering unit. I asked him if I can take the car to Gurgaon since it was pretty late. He advised me to take the car to Gurgaon at low speeds (50kmph). At this moment, no warning light was coming in the car. Got the car crawling at 50kmph to Gurgaon.
6. Today morning, the engine check light came . I gave the car to Qutub Automobiles, an authorised Maruti workshop. They told me that they will be able to update me once they scan the car thru OBD. But looking at the symptoms, he told me that power steering and speedometer sensor seems to have gone kaput. Rough cost of both sensors is around 14k and 1.5 k respectively.
I will be updating the thread with the findings. Any pointers and information will be a sure-shot help from fellow members.
Car total mileage is 51k and was serviced 10 days back at 50k from Maruti Dealer.
In case the effort is major, I plan to take the car to Apra Automobiles which happens to be a Maruti dealer.
|4th March 2014, 14:26||#19|
Join Date: Nov 2013
Thanked: 1,181 Times
Re: Ritz Vxi-Power Steering failure+Engine Jerking
If you can manage to get an opinion from Maruti Service Masters, that will be of great help to you. I personally feel that their engineers and service advisors are better equipped and more knowledgeable then the dealers.
They can diagnose things more accurately then Apra or any other dealer. My own experience with Maruti Service Masters when I had a Maruti Dzire has been very good.
|9th December 2015, 10:13||#20|
Join Date: Jul 2009
Thanked: 0 Times
Ritz - power steering warning light, hard steering due to rains
In the recent heavy rains in Chennai, rain water entered our parking area and also made its way into the carpet area of my Ritz (LDi). the water stagnated over night and then once the water levels reduced , i was able to dry the car completely. the spare wheel well also had water in it.
Our neighbors too had similar problems, but now here is where I am and I need your guidance on how to proceed further
1. the car starts fine. No issues.
2. Power steering warning light turns on. steering is hard. Ritz comes with EPS
3. I am able to move the car front and back but turning the steering is a herculean effort. I tried it twice, but then didnt want to risk further damage
4. I get my car serviced at MSM, Chennai. their workshop is flooded, so they are not taking in vehicles. No private towing service is currently available. All of them are super busy.
5. the nearest service center is 5 Kms away (Popular Motors, Keelkattalai).
1. Can i drive the car at slow speeds to the nearest MASS, since I am not getting any towing help ? Maruti On-Road toll free number also is not forthcoming due to the already over loaded towing queue. they claim there are 1200 cars that need to be towed.
2. Insurance - would i be covered under insurance ? I could not take photos since the parking was already in knee deep water (no electricity as well) and there was a risk of water snakes (neighbors killed 2 snakes the previous day)
3. Popular motors is saying, insurance will take a long time, if the EPS motor is gone, replacing it will take ~30 K along with labor.
I'd like to hear from t-bhp gurus on further advice.
p.S; local mechanics dont seem to have a clue abt EPS and they claim they dont have OBD scanners that only MASS can have.
|9th December 2015, 11:22||#21|
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Oct 2009
Thanked: 4,057 Times
Re: Ritz - power steering warning light, hard steering due to rains
The probable reason is your PS control module malfunction due to water. Please check your fuse first. If it's ok, then you can drive to the nearest workshop.
The steering will be hard, but you can drive without any damage. Expect understeer. So, drive slow.
|9th December 2015, 14:04||#22|
Join Date: Jul 2009
Thanked: 0 Times
Re: Power Steering in Swift VXi dead
thanks Dhanush. With the help of a local auto electrician, i managed to confirm that all the fuses are in-tact.
Looks like Ritz does not have any fuse box under the bonnet. So, all available fuses were checked.
I have written to Maruti updating them about the situation, so that it also serves as a formal intimation. I am guessing they'll ask to replace the EPS motor itself, if that happens, then I am hoping insurance will cover that cost. but, since no service center is ready to tow the car, I might end up delaying reporting the problem, so sent them a formal e-mail.
I am waiting for the road near my locality to dry up further (its a little slushy). By tomorrow, I hope to drive it at slow speeds to MASS.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Maruti Esteem - Non Power Steering to Power Steering||udit78||Modifications & Accessories||14||4th May 2011 13:29|
|Power steering to manual steering?||ramzsys||Technical Stuff||18||11th August 2010 23:16|
|Power Steering fluid and ECU – Zen Vxi||nicejits||Technical Stuff||5||11th March 2008 15:17|
|Electric Power Steering Vs. Hydraulic Power Steering||joseph5600||Technical Stuff||3||19th November 2007 20:56|
|Please suggest - power windows, power steering from one Esteem to another||pramodkumar||Technical Stuff||4||1st September 2006 09:19|