Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st February 2011, 12:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Emergency manouveur in my i20 diesel. Need to understand what happened

Yeah, Never ever give sharp flicks to steering at high speed. I have been through it. And was so scary that till date I do not discuss it with anyone. But the point is, at high speeds keep steering as straight as possible. That one set of wheel was on gravel and other on tar definitely would have made the difference. But how come you were travelling so much on right??
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 12:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Emergency manouveur in my i20 diesel. Need to understand what happened

I seem to be driving to the very right even at about 5 feet from divider.so what distance should be maintained between the divider and vehicle?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 13:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I seem to be driving to the very right even at about 5 feet from divider.so what distance should be maintained between the divider and vehicle?

At least 1.5 feet. It is common to find large divider stones lying scattered around the center line and hitting a wheel on an unseen rock could cause a nasty accident.

HTH
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 13:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
... i had not other option because that person was very near to me and could have hit him.

And would better tyres made any difference to the situation? ...
1. Take it easy. Don't flog yourself - you did nothing wrong fundamentally, in fact you did the right thing under the circumstances. Maybe changing your driving style, or the way you hold the steering wheel, or how you react to emergencies, or getting louder horns would give you more time to avoid getting into scary situations, and better control the car if it is unavoidable. Definitely after dusk one has to be doubly careful - since one's nerves are on high alert then, complicated by far less visibility

2. Don't underestimate the momentum of a car even at 50kmph. The fact that one or more of the wheels lifted is a pointer to the fact that braking was diminished, and assymetrically at that, as well as due to the steering maneuver the direction of travel was changing fast, may have caused the excessive turn. Thank God it ended in your favour, not that of Murphy's law!

3. Better tires may make some difference, but the best solution is driving experience and alertness, since such situations you will face in future will never be identical
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 16:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

By Gods grace you are safe and so are your passengers and car.

Unknowingly, you initiated Scandinavian flick but this time under brakes, thus the lift-off of the back wheels and perpendicular. I can also imagine that i20 has drum brakes at rear and thus the instant stopping causes plough in effect at front as well.

I suggest to get the brakes and tyres tested for fade and bald patch. Drive safe.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 16:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
I searched for similar thread but didnt get any.Maybe i used wrong keywords.
You can find it here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ods-grace.html (Of horses humbling man (me). And of God's Grace.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost
supremeBaleno, reading this thread I knew I had read about the Tidel Park incident.
Yeah - reading this felt like reliving my experience.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 17:05   #22
BHPian

one more thing
there is a technique that rally drivers use to induce a drift.
Its called the Scandinavian Flick.
Essentially it is a slight flick to the left followed by a turn to the right. [or vice versa].

I think that's what happened.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 17:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

And 'Fishtailing' would be the effect of this flick.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 17:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post

Unknowingly, you initiated Scandinavian flick but this time under brakes, thus the lift-off of the back wheels and perpendicular. I can also imagine that i20 has drum brakes at rear and thus the instant stopping causes plough in effect at front as well.

I suggest to get the brakes and tyres tested for fade and bald patch. Drive safe.
No,mine is a top end diesel so has discs on all 4 wheels.Yes i experienced the plough in effect.I was staring into the tarmac for a moment.
Yes will check the tires

Thats indeed scary.same kinda experience even here.but the car went left,right and spun.Maybe because of slower speed and braking
Old 1st February 2011, 23:38   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Emergency manouveur in my i20 diesel. Need to understand what happened

Sorry to hear about the scary incident AND nice to know that no one was hurt (including the moron jaywalking on the highway).

Why did you try sudden change of direction to avoid him at 100ms? Did you try honking like crazy to see if he stops? Did you honk at all?

My first reaction would be to honk and brake simultaneously, and if the person crossing the road was still on his original track... try steering away while braking as you have ABS anyway!

Experts! Is this the right think to do?
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Emergency manouveur in my i20 diesel. Need to understand what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Sorry to hear about the scary incident AND nice to know that no one was hurt (including the moron jaywalking on the highway).

Why did you try sudden change of direction to avoid him at 100ms? Did you try honking like crazy to see if he stops? Did you honk at all?

My first reaction would be to honk and brake simultaneously, and if the person crossing the road was still on his original track... try steering away while braking as you have ABS anyway!

Experts! Is this the right think to do?
At 100 mts approx he was standing on the road side.Few moments later he started crossing.Yes i honked (but he continued) and braked but only when i felt i may hit him,i changed the lane
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:02   #27
BANNED

You just did a SCANDINAVIAN FLICK man! Be proud,people spend life time trying to learn and control it.
It is also called pendulm turn,because it is caused due to swinging pendulm effect.
And yes abs and edb usually struggle to prevent a scandinavian flick because forces generated due to 1.5ton car are usually too great to be compensated for.
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
You just did a SCANDINAVIAN FLICK man! Be proud,people spend life time trying to learn and control it.
It is also called pendulm turn,because it is caused due to swinging pendulm effect.
And yes abs and edb usually struggle to prevent a scandinavian flick because forces generated due to 1.5ton car are usually too great to be compensated for.
I dont know whether to be proud of it or laugh at my foolishness putting everyones life in danger or to retrospect my driving style
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

I drive a Getz CRDi, and I have had some close 140KMPH to 0 stops, thanks to animal-crossings-on-highways (of both the four leg and two leg kinds). Whatever I tell you is from experience, from what has worked for me. You have to note that everyone learns from mistakes, and my lesson was this (Hi from Chennai!). So thank you stars, learn the lesson
  • Try to get in to the practice of engine braking. Instinctively shift to lower gears when you're braking to rapidly decelerate. You will get the right gear to down shift to with practice, but I can safely tell you that you can shift to 3rd from common speeds that we do, and to 2nd if you are under 60.
  • You are driving a torquey car. The ECM is programmed to prevent the engine from stalling easily by 'blipping the throttle' (Let the clutch go slowly from stand still in 3rd WITHOUT ACCELERATING, the car will still pull). If you are in 5th gear, and if the ECM senses that he car will stall at the RPM you are doing (because you are braking hard without cutting gears or clutching), the ECM will actually push up the RPM, acting against your braking action.
  • And tyres - they are the most important part. The 140KMPH to 0 within 100 meters for me happened only because I am on a 195mm wide S.Drive, I am sure I would have not be writing this otherwise.
  • When driving on deserted roads, keep to the center / middle track so that you get enough time to react when 'animals' decide to test their lifeline.
  • Finally, while theoretically ABS allows you to steer while braking, I would suggest you to steer away from impact, and to never steer in opposing directions - it needs a lot of training, understanding and practice to steer in opposing directions rapidly and yet maintain control. So 'flicking back and forth' is best avoided.

Good that you and family are safe, and the 'animal' is safe too Enjoy your drive, and drive safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post

Sn1p3r, all i20 CRDi variants with ABS comes only with rear discs. It is the non-ABS variants (the Era and the refreshed Magna CRDi) that come with drums.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:42   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
[list][*]Try to get in to the practice of engine braking. Instinctively shift to lower gears when you're braking to rapidly decelerate. You will get the right gear to down shift to with practice, but I can safely tell you that you can shift to 3rd from common speeds that we do, and to 2nd if you are under 60.[*]You are driving a torquey car. The ECM is programmed to prevent the engine from stalling easily by 'blipping the throttle' (Let the clutch go slowly from stand still in 3rd WITHOUT ACCELERATING, the car will still pull). If you are in 5th gear, and if the ECM senses that he car will stall at the RPM you are doing (because you are braking hard without cutting gears or clutching), the ECM will actually push up the RPM, acting against your braking action.
* I'm wondering, when you are ~ 100km/hr and barely have some distance to go before collision, shifting gears wouldn't really come to mind first right??
Also, if you were to downshift to come to halt more effectively, would the time taken for downshifting not eat into the braking time?? Or you brake and downshift simultaneously?

* Wonderful observation! Never thought on such lines. But here's a doubt. Does the ECM, rpm etc etc. come into the picture only when the clutch is depressed.
Quite often, you tend to press both the brake and clutch while emergency braking. So, with the clutch pressed, the ECM wouldn't really push the rpm right? Ergo, it wouldn't be acting against the braking.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote