Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd February 2011, 14:58   #1
BANNED

Default Engine stalling at low speeds in my Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 E

Friends ,
I own the above said car from last 3 months . I face this unique problem sometimes , not very frequent though.

When im moving say in 3rd or 4th gear at a speed of may be 30~40 kmph & i have to take an immediate left or a right turn . I down the speed , press the clutch & try to down the gear to have a better control over the turning . suddenly i feel the steering becomes hard & car not turning . I immediately notice that all lights in the instrument panel is on & the car ignition is off . I have to immediately have to crank the car again & get the steering moving towards the direction i have to turn. Today morning I just missed hitting a pavement . atleast if im at very low speed at lower gears i should feel the vibrations & then due to loss of power the cars gets off. I havnt felt the trace of it too

Also I have been facing an another unique problem . there is a patch of road in fronnt of my House which is not asphalted & is with only metaled ( baby jelly) . the jelly is totally popped up & its a inclination for around 25 Mtrs & after that i have a sharp left turn . From there the road is good & asphalted
Im usually in 2nd gear there & sometimes .My legs are on the clutch & the brakes . Here sometimes i feel the car is dragging me down & i have lost control . also sometimes i feel the brakes have become hard & the car is going out of my control. But in this panic i slam the brakes & the car stops . ths has happened to me quite some times now

I had visited concorde motors & discussed the same with the Fiat Serv official. for the First issue thay said it cannot happen so & may be some driving issues which I have to correct .
& for the second issue he sais all GP petrol vehicles have a problem of brakes getting harder sometimes when the clutch is in the half clutch or declutch position .& above all the oil reservoir for clutch & Brake in a petrol GP is common. Hence this problem exists & we have received complaints .

Here I would like know from your end if anybody have faced the above problems or is it my driving style or something which may be the reason

Please Pour in your thoughts

Last edited by motor spirit : 2nd February 2011 at 15:04.
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Engine stalling at low speeds in my Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 E

1. Ask them to check the fuel pump / fuse - seems like fuel starvation
2. That is abnormal as well.

did you take a second opinion from another workshop?
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:20   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
2. That is abnormal as well.

did you take a second opinion from another workshop?
Thanks planet rocker for the quick responce ,
I will get the fuel pump checked during my first service due in next 15 days .

No as i had bought the car from Concorde I have not visited any other workshops.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:29   #4
BHPian

bad fuel? are you filling from the same pump since ever? or possibly one bad refuel resulted in some damage to the fuel pump ?
second issue cant be deemed as normal either. what if this happens at a higher speed or in a crowded area? go to some other workshop, possibly one recommended by bang fiat bunch! i dont think concorde blr is in good books as far as fiat is concerned.
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:38   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
bad fuel? are you filling from the same pump since ever? or possibly one bad refuel resulted in some damage to the fuel pump ?
second issue cant be deemed as normal either. what if this happens at a higher speed or in a crowded area? go to some other workshop, possibly one recommended by bang fiat bunch! i dont think concorde blr is in good books as far as fiat is concerned.
Not exactly . I fill fuel in various pump s.

Ya burnt rubber . not only the second issue . both the issues seems very dangerous . Today morning As i was a bit slow i could restart the car n steer. I just missed the pavement by a whisker . & in the second issue I almost lose all my confidence in driving when im in that small patch of road . I always hope that nothing comes my way there
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:52   #6
BHPian

^ when at the service station, check on the rpm sensor too. I had a similar problem on my palio. The issue was identified as a faulty rpm sensor. Replaced it and the problem never occured.
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:57   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Engine stalling at low speeds in my Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 E

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
When im moving say in 3rd or 4th gear at a speed of may be 30~40 kmph & i have to take an immediate left or a right turn . I down the speed , press the clutch & try to down the gear to have a better control over the turning . suddenly i feel the steering becomes hard & car not turning .
Quote:
atleast if im at very low speed at lower gears i should feel the vibrations & then due to loss of power the cars gets off.
You are severely lugging the engine! That is, driving at too low a speed in too high a gear. The 1.2 Punto doesn't have much low end torque and you need to adapt your driving style to the engine's power characteristics. If you are cruising in 4th gear @ 40, that's borderline anyways. And dropping the speed will inevitably stall the engine.

Relax, nothing's wrong with your car. Try driving in a gear lower than you are used too. Alternatively, change the sequence of events. When you want to lower the speed, first press the clutch, then let the speed drop for your gear change.

On a related note, don't ever buy the Skoda Yeti . Its terribly susceptible to stalling at low rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
In most cases, fuel pumps of modern cars either work, or they don't (it's either all on or all off).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

As GTO says, you are driving at too low a speed for the said gear. The engine is actually stalling without you realizing it.

This is a 1200 cc car. The power and torque figures are not all that great for the weight of the car.

A colleague and good friend owns the same engine variant as yours and faces no such problems. This is a engine that needs a good amount of revs to keep it going on whatever little torque it has to lug all that weight.

Your driving style is sure to destroy the clutch a lot sooner too.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:49   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also I have been facing an another unique problem ......

..... But in this panic i slam the brakes & the car stops . ths has happened to me quite some times now
I think its just the suspension acting up. Try different speeds, higher, and lower, and see which suits the road best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In most cases, fuel pumps of modern cars either work, or they don't (it's either all on or all off).
Question: Does Ford IKON fall in the above mentioned category of modern cars?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:47   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You are severely lugging the engine! That is, driving at too low a speed in too high a gear. The 1.2 Punto doesn't have much low end torque and you need to adapt your driving style to the engine's power characteristics. If you are cruising in 4th gear @ 40, that's borderline anyways. And dropping the speed will inevitably stall the engine.

Relax, nothing's wrong with your car. Try driving in a gear lower than you are used too. Alternatively, change the sequence of events. When you want to lower the speed, first press the clutch, then let the speed drop for your gear change.

On a related note, don't ever buy the Skoda Yeti . Its terribly susceptible to stalling at low rpms.

many thanks GTO for writing back. can you please suggest what speed I have to maintain at what gears for a car like 1.2 GP

Also can you share some know how on the second problem which im facing & the fiat SA's answer to my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
As GTO says, you are driving at too low a speed for the said gear. The engine is actually stalling without you realizing it.

This is a 1200 cc car. The power and torque figures are not all that great for the weight of the car.

A colleague and good friend owns the same engine variant as yours and faces no such problems. This is a engine that needs a good amount of revs to keep it going on whatever little torque it has to lug all that weight.

Your driving style is sure to destroy the clutch a lot sooner too.
Thanks sandeep will note ur point .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I think its just the suspension acting up. Try different speeds, higher, and lower, and see which suits the road best.

Question: Does Ford IKON fall in the above mentioned category of modern cars?
does the suspension push the car & influence the brakes

Last edited by motor spirit : 2nd February 2011 at 20:49.
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
does the suspension push the car & influence the brakes
Is your problem similar to this (Braking problem in Indica vista (safire) with A/C ON)?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 22:30   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

I read the whole thing..I have to check if i will face the same..Here the similarity is the engine..I guess 1.2 Vista & 1.2 Punto share the same engine

but whatever i faced was when the AC was off

Last edited by motor spirit : 2nd February 2011 at 22:36.
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:39   #13
BANNED

I happened to read in an other forum that punto 1.2 has breaking problems at very low RPM's like when you are driving in Bumper to bumper traffic

anybody faced this
Old 4th February 2011, 12:06   #14
BHPian

Hello motor_spirit, I had a somewhat similar issue with my Santro a few years ago. The engine would die whenever I hit the clutch pedal. After multiple visits to the Advaith Hyundai workshop at JP Nagar, the problem was diagnosed to be one that was caused by the idle speed actuator. It turned out that the actuator was set to a low RPM, resulting in the engine stalling whenever I hit the clutch pedal. The RPM threshold was raised and the problem diappeared. A fallout of this correction however was that the engine would rev a little more (while idling) than what it used to, prior to this adjustment. I hope that this helps you.
Arka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 12:51   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Hello motor_spirit, I had a somewhat similar issue with my Santro a few years ago. The engine would die whenever I hit the clutch pedal. After multiple visits to the Advaith Hyundai workshop at JP Nagar, the problem was diagnosed to be one that was caused by the idle speed actuator. It turned out that the actuator was set to a low RPM, resulting in the engine stalling whenever I hit the clutch pedal. The RPM threshold was raised and the problem diappeared. A fallout of this correction however was that the engine would rev a little more (while idling) than what it used to, prior to this adjustment. I hope that this helps you.
Thans arka .would check that if such a part is in Punto . however my concern is the second one..Brakes at Low RPM