Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 5th January 2006, 06:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

karthik, take the fuel pump to court.

Offtopic:1.8 lakhs just for filling up bad fuel??

All the money saved becos of Octy's FE gone in one bad repair bill.Potential skoda owners keep this in mind while deciding.
Old 5th January 2006, 09:56   #17
Team-BHP Support

I smell a rat somewhere!

The 1.9TDi engine is a workhorse. Its been used for decades all over the world. I strongly suggest you get your car out of that workshop and give it to an indipendent shop who you know and trust. I have never heard of a case like this before, and them claiming that the turbo is ruined because of bad fuel is plain rubbish! What effect does fuel have on a turbo? None!

Don't let them touch your car there Karthik.
Old 5th January 2006, 11:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

yup i agree with Rtech.... take a second opinion.. dont just blindly follow what skoda guys say.
Old 5th January 2006, 11:19   #19
Team-BHP Support

[qoute]They ment the pump, injector, relay and the filter[/quote]

Looks like the turbo is nowhere in the picture. My guess is that one of the components would have failed and they are replacing the entire system.
Old 5th January 2006, 12:30   #20
BHPian

stop fussing and bring it to my workshop we'll do a scan check and find out then eventually fix the problem
Old 5th January 2006, 12:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

1.8 lakhs???????????? I thought you told me 1.3 lakhs a couple of days back and I was aghast as it works out to 10% of the car's cost! Now its 15%....man, this is a racket!

Kartik dont tell me you're going to sit around and NOT take action, unless you have a lot of money to blow and dont really care.

Guys the pump that he used is one of the best known in Trivandrum - I make it a point to refill ONLY from that pump when I am in Trivandrum myself. I cant believe this - Pure for Sure should be renamed Poor for Sure!

Mods please alter the title to indicate fuel related problems too.

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th January 2006 at 12:46.
Old 5th January 2006, 14:04   #22
Team-BHP Support

You know wot? May be I am a bit too suspicious but I have this gut feeling that those Skoda guys are lying through their teeth. I very very strongly feel that you need to get a second opinion. In this regard RTech is absolutely right.

Ummm... did you flush the system completely and then tried filling it up with a couple of litres of diesel (known quality) and seen? Now this may sound extremely naive maybe, but at times such innocent sounding things work miracles!
Old 5th January 2006, 14:20   #23
DRC
BHPian

Everything is not right..
1.8 lacs is just too much. I can already see that their own statements contradict. Ask them to explain how bad fuel can cause damage to the parts including the turbo.

Injectors ,.understandadble, how come pump and turbo..
Notice Diesel pump is just a reciprocating liquid pump, and Keroscene is thinner than diesel. an electrical engineers mechanical knowledge tell me this much.

Also good to try,
Use some injector cleanig additives with known good quality fuels instead of xtra mile etc..
Diesel is one of the least adultrated fuels in india (for any fuel pump it is lucrative to adultrate petrol than diesel), so I read somewhere.. Now I have to rethink
Old 5th January 2006, 14:27   #24
Max
BHPian

1.8 lakhs fo` bad fuel!. what skoda is gett'n upto !!! if this is true skoda cars aint worth buying in the country like india where fuel adulteration is common practice.
Old 5th January 2006, 14:38   #25
BHPian

karthik, i feel very sorry for you. as others had suggested, get it black and white that the problem is because of the fuel. secondly, ask them to give it in writing that all the parts they had mentioned needs to be replaced. if they hesitate, we can assume something is wrong. but you insist upon it.
Old 5th January 2006, 14:53   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What the heck? Almost 2 lac rupees for an experience with bad fuel. They are trying to take you for a ride, pal....dont get on the train just yet. Get a second opinion, and do it from a decent non-authorised garage.

Adulterated fuel is a mass reality in India. If you cars cant take a little of it, dont sell them here then. Atleast have a stand by mechanism that stops significant damage from happening.

Keep us updated

GTO
Old 5th January 2006, 15:38   #27
BHPian

Dont agree on what Skoda says. It looks like they are covering something up.
Go in for a second opinion and also track closely as to what the mechanics are trying to do.

and as GTO said, keep us updated.

Surya
Old 5th January 2006, 16:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well just checked out the car today at the workshop. The car was completely dismantled. They told me that the turbo was working fine when they checked on other cars but when it was put back in my car, it wouldn't work. They also removed the ECU from the car cuz they said it could be damaged too and wanted to check it.

They confirmed that the fuel pump is damaged for sure as using poor fuel will first damage the pump and that when they pluged in their computer, it showed a number of probs mostly leading to the fuel system.

Well yea there is a well known mechanic here who works on imported cars and all, but first let me get that car out of the Skoda garage.
Now according to this mechanic, the car wouldn't even start if the fuel pump was damaged, but my car would start and even run upto the 3000rpm mark but then a HUGE amount of smoke would come from the exhaust. The car also shivers like its got a missing once at the 3000rpm mark.

Last edited by karthik247 : 5th January 2006 at 16:18.
Old 5th January 2006, 16:31   #29
Team-BHP Support

Karthik, this sounds purely like a malfunctioning sensor. Most likely like the MAF sensor.

If you are getting black smoke bellowing out, that means you are getting a good supply of fuel. that means your fuel pump should be fine.

A faulty MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor would make the ECU think one of 2 things - either the car is getting too much air, so it pumps in extra diesel to compensate. Or, its getting too little air, so it reduces the supply of diesel.

I really don't see how even diesl adulterated with kerosene would cause this damage on your car.
Old 5th January 2006, 16:33   #30
BHPian

Default thats crap...

Quote:
Well just checked out the car today at the workshop. The car was completely dismantled.
That sounds very fishy... think the mechanics do not have any knowledge about what they were working on.

Quote:
They told me that the turbo was working fine when they checked on other cars but when it was put back in my car, it wouldn't work. They also removed the ECU from the car cuz they said it could be damaged too and wanted to check it.
Thats BulS%^& again... you dont have to remove the ECU to check it.... least as far as my knowledge goes... The problem with Skoda is, the local cervice centres and dealerships are not very knowledgeable. They used to send engineers from the Skoda factory for each and every thing earlier.... I very strongly suspect that the dealer is taking you for a ride.... Too bad they had dismantled the car already cuz now you cannot take it out.

Unless you had been given an estimate and approved same by signing on it, these guys have no rights whatsoever to dismantle your car. Then you have a very valid case. I sympathize with you for the whole episode pal.... wish there was something we could do to help...
Closed Thread