Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th February 2011, 11:24   #1
BHPian

Post Accent CRDI: Mass Airflow sensor replacement?

Hello,

I have an Accent CRDI which has completed around 82K kms.

Past few days, i was not able to rev my engine beyond 2200 RPM. Lack of power experienced when the RPM needle hover around 2000-2200 mark. Then I have to upshift to speed up the vehicle.

I went to Hyundai A.S.S in Trichy and was told that Mass Airflow sensor is at fault and need to be replaced (showed me the connector that comes right side of engine bay and it is having a crack).
To confirm this, they've replaced one from some other car (on a temporary basis) and i drove the car and found the issue to be fixed with new sensor.
They've quoted around Rs. 10,500 /- for this sensor.

I thgt i would ask for a second opinion, so have asked them to fix the faulty sensor back and drove home.On my way, i found that car is working fine with that old sensor. No powerloss experienced and i can rev upto 3000 RPM (i normally upshift @ 2800-3000 RPM). No issues found after this.
Car is back to normal as it was few days back.

So, Now i would need your help on two points:

1. Would an Airflow sensor can cost you around 10k? or Should i look around for better quote (i believe the cost of a Hyundai spare parts should be same in all A.S.S). Anyone have recently replaced it?

2. I intend to wait and see if the problem re-occurs. So, what would be the issues if i drive around with a faulty Mass Airflow sensor other than this powerloss above 2000 RPM mark (coz, i'm planning for a 4 days trip and if i get this issue at that time, i need to know if its serious enough to rush back to the nearest A.S.S or can be attended on my return).

Thanks in advance for your help

Rgds... Karthik
nfsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 13:08   #2
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Accent CRDI: Mass Airflow sensor replacement? - advice needed.

Karthik , MAF sensors are costly. IMO if the sensor has error, then check engine light should come on. Cleaning MAF sensor to resolves the issue.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 13:29   #3
BHPian

V&v, Thanks for your response.
The engine light has not come so far.

The H.A.S.S guys cleaned the sensor before putting it back and haven't faced any issue so far but still apprehensive about driving car with a faulty sensor (as H.A.S.S guys claimed).

Any idea what could be the issues (other than power loss that i've mentioned earlier), if MAF is not working?
Old 8th February 2011, 14:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

When those guys removed and installed the MAF sensor, they must have cleaned it. I suggest you see if the problem re-occurs, and then got for the replacement. However, I have a feeling that, cleaning, was just what was needed.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 14:15   #5
BHPian

@Dhanushs, Thanks for your reply.
yes, even i thought that those guys might have cleaned it, while putting back.

i will see if the problem re-occurs and will update this thread.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:15   #6
BHPian

Yes V&V is very true if the MAF sensor is conked the OBD should sense it and the check engine light must glow. Have you noticed the light ? Again it could be a possiblity that you have said that you have noticed acrack in the socket. So the connection must have come loose and when you replaced your old sensor assuming it is cleaned the socket must must have fit properly at its place.

IMO drive your car as it is and wait and watch if you have the problem repeating again.

Also have your car OBD scanned and check for the error recorded and have it erased at A.S.S. or at a reputed garage.
CRDIsamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 15:47   #7
BHPian

Thanks CRDISamir for your response.
I will check for Error codes in OBD and have it cleared, if any, during my next visit to H.A.S.S.