Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd March 2011, 12:16   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Clutch change done - How to check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
I changed the clutch plate in my Premier Padmini. The clutch usually would get released at the last point of release of clutch pedal.
Its just that you need to adjust the pedal free play.
The padmini has a finger type clutch, so get the pressure plate and the finger height checked by the mech, if needed.
(Hope the complete set is a new one, since you have changed it).

Last edited by jeeva : 2nd March 2011 at 12:17.
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Let me know when you take it to Nirmal. Also, can you scan and post the bill for this replacement, just to track what is replaced and what is not?
Have sent you a PM. Will scan a copy of the bill by tomorrow.
DWind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 00:00   #18
BANNED

I think the flywheel has a problem . The flywheel may not be even and that might be the cause of occasional judder . The flywheel must have had an uneven wear on the surface .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 01:07   #19
BHPian

I have a problem too in my new gypsy.

1. Really Jerky forward motion in 1st gear without movement of clutch foot
2. After biting point, continuous juddering in 2nd gear until I release completely and pull faster
3. 3rd and 4th are good. No probs
4. Very hard and difficult to press, the 1st 3 months I struggled with hip and buttock muscle (gluteus minor) strain due to this (was already prone, this aggravated it)

What should I get inspected? done less than 4K kms.

Thanks

Last edited by Ragul : 4th March 2011 at 01:09.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:59   #20
BHPian

Talking Re: Clutch change done - How to check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Let me know when you take it to Nirmal. Also, can you scan and post the bill for this replacement, just to track what is replaced and what is not?
Got my clutch done at 72 k Verna CRDI SX ABS Mar 2008 , changed
pressure plate assemble and cylinder (costs 4k alone ) , total 11k but car is silky smooth again. Had already changed turbo under warranty at 60 k \
Also had engine mounting replaced under warranty.
Now car in 4th year with no warranty left but major vulnerabilities fixed and good to go for another term
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 21:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

The title of this thread is apt for what I had also been meaning to know. How to know if the clutch assembly has actually been changed.

I recently got the clutch of my Alto Lx changed from MASS, & it didn't look satisfactory. To this, I was also told that it takes some time for the clutch assembly to bed in & blah, blah, blah. Another thing was that the clutch pedal was still quite tight, & this was solved to an extent by changing the clutch cable, which was not changed initially.

Presently, the issue I face is that the clutch pedal becomes hard randomly, especially after a spirited run. Though, if I drive sedately, the clutch pedal stays fine. Also, the car struggles to keep up at speeds around 90-100kmph. It just feels really strained & the mileage drops like anything. All this without the air-conditioner switched on.

Are there any plausible explanations for these symptoms?

Please help.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 13:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

I own a 2008 Getz Crdi with 54K KM on odo. Clutch was hard without any slippage but driving in bangalore traffic caused lot of discomfort. I reported this issue to Advaith Motors (Hyundai A.S.S) and service advisor suggested to change clutch plate, release bearing and pressure plate. He also said that master/sleeve cylinder may need replacement but they will check and confirm.
Later they said master/sleeve cylinder are ok and they will change above three parts and total bill came to 18000 against an estimate of 15K.

I noticed clutch is very light initially but after driving in bangalore traffic, clutch is back to being hard. Clutch is light after engine is shut off for like an hour.

Now Hyundai service centre guy's are suggesting replacing master/sleeve cylinder which costs 9000. I am not convinced since first they said these parts are ok and now they are suggesting replacement.
Any pointers please?
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Any inputs? Shall i go ahead and change master/slave cylinder?
Old 23rd July 2014, 18:08   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Any inputs? Shall i go ahead and change master/slave cylinder?
Yes, go ahead and change it. Should've done in the first place, IMO.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 18:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes, go ahead and change it. Should've done in the first place, IMO.
Thanks Dhanush. I got Master/Slave cylinder replaced along with clutch fluid. Clutch is super smooth now. Total cost incurred was 7.5K.

Complete clutch overhaul costed 25.5K. Hyundai car's are getting expensive to repair.
Old 28th July 2014, 18:46   #26
BHPian

The first time I changed the clutch on my Accent CRDi was at 195k kms! Speaks volumes about quality control at Hyundai. Went the whole hog. Clutch disc, cover, release bearing, clutch master and slave cylinder.
Shwetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 19:25   #27
BHPian

Clutch wear is a tricky affair. I know 3 cases of Skoda Octavia. One had to renew clutch at 17K Kms!! (Thanks to the chauffeur), Mine had to be renewed at 85K Kms and a friend's friend who din't have to renew his Octavia's clutch (last time I heard his Octavia had clocked close to 200K Kms. All 3 are same model cars from the same brand bought in the same year. Clutch wear depends a lot on driving style. Now just to compare, I know of Innovas who have renewed clutch before it clocked the miles I did before the renewal and same time Innovas which have done much more.
How do you establish the quality of a brand based on these when you have such a wide range of cases.
Likewise there could be a Hyundai which had clutch renewal earlier and one which clocked much more miles before a replacement. Its a part which wears largely depending on the driving style, condition of road, whether driven in City or on highways mostly, traffic density in the area where car is being used, etc. A few cases might be material failure which could be true for any brand for a small percentage of the total production. As far as I've seen, manufacturers do revise the design, material, vendor, etc. from their experience of each part's performance.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 13:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dhanush. I got Master/Slave cylinder replaced along with clutch fluid. Clutch is super smooth now. Total cost incurred was 7.5K.

Complete clutch overhaul costed 25.5K. Hyundai car's are getting expensive to repair.
Clutch on my getz crdi was smooth/light for few 100 KM's and now its getting quite a bit heavy even on highways. What could be the problem?
I don't rest my left leg on clutch pedal.

Service center guy's replaced following parts at 53K KM:
Clutch Plate, Cover Assembly, Release bearing, master & slave cylinder with clutch/brake fluid. I have driven over 1000 KM post clutch overhaul.
Any inputs?
Old 12th August 2014, 14:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clutch on my getz crdi was smooth/light for few 100 KM's and now its getting quite a bit heavy even on highways. What could be the problem?
Is the clutch cable ok?
Could be an issue with air entering the system or a leak of clutch fluid. Keep car on level surface and check on floor for tell-tale drips - if the cable itself is okay.

Quote:
I don't rest my left leg on clutch pedal. Service center guy's replaced following parts at 53K KM:
Clutch Plate, Cover Assembly, Release bearing, master & slave cylinder with clutch/brake fluid. I have driven over 1000 KM post clutch overhaul.
Any inputs?
Why did you need a clutch overhaul at 53K when you seem to be careful with your clutch?
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 19:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Is the clutch cable ok?
Could be an issue with air entering the system or a leak of clutch fluid. Keep car on level surface and check on floor for tell-tale drips - if the cable itself is okay.
Hi Joy,
Getz Diesel clutch is hydraulic without any cables. I spoke to hyundai service centre guy's and they asked me to visit their A.S.S which i will be doing next week as i am away from Bangalore.

Quote:
Why did you need a clutch overhaul at 53K when you seem to be careful with your clutch?
Clutch pedal was very hard and it caused lot of inconvenience to my left leg. So thought of getting overhaul done but looks like some thing is not correct.