Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th February 2011, 19:01   #1
BHPian

Default Palio - Petrol emitting black smoke after service. And SOLVED too!

Recently I got my Palio Petrol serviced after 4 month interval at a private service center in Hyerabad. To my surprise, when I went to pick up the car, the car was spewing tons of black smoke and was missing. Raised the concern with the owner of the service center who promptly kept the car for a day and returned the car back the next late evening. The smoke has reduced marginally though the car seemed to have missing the timing. I was told that there was a problem with the compression with one of the cylinders hence this issue.

Filled up the tank on my way home to check the mileage. There comes the 2nd surprise; the mileage returned was 5-6kmpl !!! Frustrated with the sequence of events I wanted to sell the car off but decided to take the car to Concord Sanathnagar and give it a try.

Reached Concord at sharp 9:30am; was received well and attended well by Concord. I asked for the Fiat engine mechanic to show him the problem .. Now comes the 3rd surprise .. the mechanic starts the car, notices the engine missing, comes and checks the black smoke, asks me if the mileage had gone down drastically. I reply affirmative; he pops open the engine hood, checks for some connections for 30 seconds, pushes in some hose (vacuum tube) for another 30 seconds .. revs up the car for a minute .. and comes and tells me that the problem is fixed. I did not believe him; he said the vacuum tube was loose which he fixed and that there was no other issue !! Tried a short test drive and the Palio was back to behaving normal !!

I'm surprised why the mechanic at the service station could not figure out the issue when the mechanic at Concord could figure it out so easily !! BTW, I was advised by the Private service center guy to sell off the vehicle since it was old (8.5 yrs) and prone to such problems !!
junkishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 19:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Palio - Petrol emitting black smoke after service. And SOLVED too!

Why don't you mention the name of the private service center so that people can stay away from that garage. One of the reasons why i prefer a dealer workshop, the mechanics atleast will be trained, at some point of time for their vehicles.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 21:00   #3
BHPian

My intention was not to single out the private service centre. The guy is a known person for it's mods that he does. My post was for 2 reasons ...

First : the problem that I encountered seems to be a known issue for the Concord guys; however doesn't seem to have been encountered by the private service centre .. don't other make vehicles have this issue ?

Second : Is it that the private service centre guys are fed-up servicing Palios .. coz quite a few of them advise on selling of the vehicle since it's an old one .. in fact one of the dealer service centres too advised me on selling it and in fact hooked me to a 2nd hand car dealer .. the dealer offered me 90K initally for the car but bumped it up to 1.2L after 20 minutes since he noticed I wasn't really amused with his initial offer .. I smelled rat and walked off ..
junkishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 21:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

The vacuum pipe issue is particular to the Palio and Uno petrols. And because of the mechanical intricacy of FIATs, the private workshops don't exactly like servicing Palio's.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 13:42   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Palio - Petrol emitting black smoke after service. And SOLVED too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
My intention was not to single out the private service centre. The guy is a known person for it's mods that he does. My post was for 2 reasons ...
It's not the question of singling anyone out. Team-BHP insists on posting the complete story. Knowing the name of the private center will greatly enhance the value of this thread. Believe me, not only will it help others, but even the garage owner will think a million times before performing such a sub-standard service again.

Would you like me to do a car review without mentioning the brand / model of the car? Thanks for understanding. Please support us in maintaining full transparency on this beloved forum.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 14:09   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Palio - Petrol emitting black smoke after service. And SOLVED too!

junkishya: When I think from another angle, I feel that:

The private service center guy might be trying (may be deliberately) to take you for a ride stating compression issue on the cylinder just with a (deliberately) lose vacum tube. I dont think they are unaware of the real issue, at least they could have inspected thoroughly to rectify, otherwise I feel they were deliberately attempting their luck with you for an engine work on your Palio! Dont you think so?

I would also request you reveal the service center name please?
narayanang76 is offline   Reply With Quote