Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th August 2011, 00:38   #316
BHPian

Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Are you sure they had replaced the injectors?

Maybe they did only the firmware upgrade & charged you? I am not sure about how truthful Kairali Ford is. I have heard some bad comments about them earlier (Ikon heydays). But we have no other option. isn't it?
Though we have our reasons to doubt the A.S.S. folks, let me tell you that the last time I went in with the issue, I had already escalated the matter to Ford, Chennai, and the diagnosis report from the A.S.S. was shared with Ford (including the fuel sample report) and the injector replacement was suggested by Ford directly after reviewing the reports. My bill shows 2 injectors replaced at ~ 9600/- each (covered under warranty). I even got follow up calls from Ford Chennai to check how my car has been running after the replacement. I'm pretty sure that the injectors have been replaced. If they have not, then I wouldn't blame Kairali Ford, I would blame Ford India for keeping such A.S.S. running and getting themselves robbed with such false bills.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 01:24   #317
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R
Lit?

@Mustang
My Figo does not have such issues. Is it advisable to upgrade the firmware? i.e. if my SC admits such a thing exists...
Do not unnecessarily get anything done from the A.S.S. unless you are facing an issue.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 12:04   #318
BHPian

Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post
Gents,

This has been happening to me now, on and off for about 3 years. I've tried switching fuel stations, etc. but the problem still persists. It's normally during Brake/turn that this happens. More often than not, it's left turning in my case.

I then thought it would be "user error". ie., me be the culprit behind this phenomenon.

So I removed myself from the equation and swapped cars with her for a few months. Happened again with her as well. Went abroad for a few months so shipped the car back home so my dad could keep an eye on it, and it happened to him.

Now, today.. I'm sitting in the back seat and have a driver driving the car and it happens to him.

Mine is the Fiesta TDCi not a Figo, but not sure if that makes any difference.

I have now decided it's not safe to give this car to my wife and have the little man in the car seat in the back, so she's back to her car.
This looks scary. Till date I have not yet faced any such issue with my 5 years+ of using the TDCi Fiesta which has logged in over 80K Kms.

However, my neighbour who has an Ikon TDCi has mentioned this. I dismissed it casually, but on following this thread for sometime now, I feel he may be right.
Sugeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 14:48   #319
Senior - BHPian

There is one strange phenomenon during all the stalls. I hope all of us have noticed this. Only the Second set of chimes are heard!!!

My doubt is:-
When the engine is turned off we do not hear any chimes. So when it dies down why should we be hearing these second set of chimes? Does it mean that something is sending a wrong information to the ecu that the engine check is complete and the car is ready to start!! Who ever is doing this. He's playing with life's.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 14:50   #320
Team-BHP Support

Have you tried intentionally stalling the car and seeing if the chimes are heard. I don't remember that's why I'm asking.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 14:52   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
There is one strange phenomenon during all the stalls. I hope all of us have noticed this. Only the Second set of chimes are heard!!!

My doubt is:-
When the engine is turned off we do not hear any chimes. So when it dies down why should we be hearing these second set of chimes? Does it mean that something is sending a wrong information to the ecu that the engine check is complete and the car is ready to start!! Who ever is doing this. He's playing with life's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Have you tried intentionally stalling the car and seeing if the chimes are heard. I don't remember that's why I'm asking.

I am pretty sure the chimes are heard when you intentionally stall the car, that is not using the key.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 18:59   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I am pretty sure the chimes are heard when you intentionally stall the car, that is not using the key.

the chimes are heard when I stall the car in manner you call intentional (basically try starting in 3rd by mistake etc.).

I haven't ever had the downshiftng issue though.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 19:14   #323
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone remember which chimes are heard. The one while starting or the one that comes on low fuel? Both have a different sound.
Old 5th August 2011, 19:48   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone remember which chimes are heard. The one while starting or the one that comes on low fuel? Both have a different sound.
It's the chime you hear before you start the car. The low-fuel chime is more louder and more metallic in sound. It's the former that you hear when the car stalls while downshifting
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 00:14   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
It's the chime you hear before you start the car. The low-fuel chime is more louder and more metallic in sound. It's the former that you hear when the car stalls while downshifting
Quote:
The crux of the matter is that we should not be hearing the chimes when we, as the driver, are driving the car in the right manner.

So Ford, is it the sensor near the clutch or ECU behaving nasty because of old firmware or injectors getting clogged?

We seriously need an answer to this and a recall to get things sorted out quickly.

A recall will really help you stand up a company who listens to his customers, sorts out the issues and care for their lives!

Maruti did recall its hot selling A Star for a faulty fuel pump, even though it didn't receive any complaint.

But here, we the customers, are saying loud n clear about this problem for the past 5 months and still nothing concrete solution has been found.
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 11:34   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
The crux of the matter is that we should not be hearing the chimes when we, as the driver, are driving the car in the right manner.
I was just trying to find out if the ECU is telling us of a fault (like low fuel) or if its just telling us that the engine check is complete!

Edit:
Just Spoke to my Service Engineer. He says Ford has diagnosed this issue as a fuel issue. Impurities in fuel causes the injectors to get clogged and reduces pressure causing the engine to stall. This must be why the frequency of stall reduces when we do the 3000rpm thingy weekly / drive in sports mode.

I really dont think anything helpful would evolve in this case.

Last edited by gemithomas : 6th August 2011 at 11:45.
Old 6th August 2011, 17:28   #327
BHPian

Quote:
I was just trying to find out if the ECU is telling us of a fault (like low fuel) or if its just telling us that the engine check is complete!
ECU will only tell us of the fault when the engine is alive and a warning light comes up (for eg. low fuel warning, engine oil low warning, engine overheat warning, etc). This warning light is connected to the error code that is generated by the ECU. Once the engine is dead how can an ECU tell us about something gone wrong?

The chimes and all the lights light up after the stall because the key is on the STARTER position and the engine has suddenly gone dead.
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 18:52   #328
Senior - BHPian

My friend who owns a Figo TDCi ZXi faced this of issue of engine stalling in more than 3 different occasions on downshifting. Wrote a mail to write2md@ford.com with a link to this thread asking Ford for a response on this issue. I got a call from MD's desk who told me that there is a technical team thats working on reproducing & resolving this issue and he also mentioned that its mainly due to the driving style that this issue happens, which obviously is load of bull.

However, Ford have asked my friend to bring the car to MPL Ford @ OMR. The car will be going to MPL Ford this monday. I will keep you folks posted on this issue!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 21:05   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
approach the media like the fortuner owner did.
Can you kindly point me to information relating to that please? Just curious to learn what the issue was.

Am not an owner of the Figo or Fiesta but definitey a Ford owner. I am following this thread out of interest and from a learning angle. Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this thread
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 10:07   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Can you kindly point me to information relating to that please? Just curious to learn what the issue was.

Am not an owner of the Figo or Fiesta but definitey a Ford owner. I am following this thread out of interest and from a learning angle. Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this thread
Here it is.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...pensation.html (Freak Mishap on Toyota Fortuner: Owner demands compensation)
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote