Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th August 2011, 14:05   #331
BHPian

Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The car will be going to MPL Ford this monday. I will keep you folks posted on this issue!
Anachronix, any update?
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 02:11   #332
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Is this a common problem with Ford? Recently I've test driven 3 used Ikons and 2 of them had this issue of stalling while trying to negotiate a curve. What I've done is that I went into the curve fast(probably 3rd gear and around 50-60kmph), braked, depressed the clutch pedal to change the gear and there it goes, the engine just stalls when I was turning the steering to take the curve. I tried the same thing again and it was repeated. Tried the other car and that also had the same story. And all these were Ford Ikon 1.3. Third one didn't stalled and so we thought the problem with the other two cars only. But now as I saw this thread I thought I'll just post this experience of mine. Can this be some kind of ECU programming issue?
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 14:47   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Is this a common problem with Ford?
Nope, only Figo Diesel's are facing this issue. No such problem with the Petrol models (Figo, Fiesta or Ikon).
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 14:49   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Nope, only Figo Diesel's are facing this issue. No such problem with the Petrol models (Figo, Fiesta or Ikon).
To be precise, it is 1.4 TDCi, I have seen an occasional complaint from Fiesta and Ikon 1.4 TDCi owners too. But yeah it is pretty prevalent in Figo TDCi.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 15:00   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Anachronix, any update?
Not yet mate! The car has got an appointment on 16th with MPL Ford since the owner was busy this week.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 17:22   #336
Senior - BHPian

According to my sources, the firmware upgrade is to reduce the noise due to the way injectors inject the fuel. The latest ECU firmware update corrects this and has got nothing to do with stalling.

Sources are reliable.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 22:10   #337
BHPian

Ok so today I took my car to the ford service.. I told them to look at the stalling issue. They said another car had come with the same issue and they had reset the ecu and installed the same again. They also claimed that the customer never came back with the same issue.

So Ford guys reset the ECU and installed the same.
Also they checked my clutch pedal sensor and confirmed that it was doing fine.

Let me check if the car stalls now..
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 19:42   #338
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
They said another car had come with the same issue and they had reset the ecu and installed the same again. They also claimed that the customer never came back with the same issue.
Hey figo_mba, great news! Hope you have a trouble free ride!

I'm just puzzled or I don't know if I am missing something. jayded, when he took his Figo to the tvm dealer was told that the issue would be taken up with Ford Chennai plant directly. And your case I'm assuming here would also have gone through the Chennai plant (since it involves an ECU reset and install again?) no? So why two different solutions?
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 01:55   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Hey figo_mba, great news! Hope you have a trouble free ride!

I'm just puzzled or I don't know if I am missing something. jayded, when he took his Figo to the tvm dealer was told that the issue would be taken up with Ford Chennai plant directly. And your case I'm assuming here would also have gone through the Chennai plant (since it involves an ECU reset and install again?) no? So why two different solutions?
Actually the reasons why my issue was handled by Ford is because
1) I was tired with the A.S.S. folks (at Trivandrum, and even Bangalore) telling me that they can't do anything since the issue could not be replicated in the various test drives. Hence I had mailed Ford to take this up directly (provide guidance) since the service centers are oblivious about such an issue and simply replacing parts on a trial and error basis

2) During the last test drive, the car indeed stalled and thus we were able to reproduce the issue. But by then, the following were already done on my car: Fuel tank cleaned, fuel filter replaced, fuel lines cleared, ECU scanning done with no error codes, Vehicle speed sensor replaced. So all that they knew, were done, so the issue had to be dealt with at a higher level.

Since now the A.S.S. is aware of the issue (we have just a single dealer network across most parts of Kerala), they would do the diagnostics in a more systematic way and would escalate only if that fails.
jayded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 06:54   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Is this a common problem with Ford? Recently I've test driven 3 used Ikons and 2 of them had this issue of stalling while trying to negotiate a curve. What I've done is that I went into the curve fast(probably 3rd gear and around 50-60kmph), braked, depressed the clutch pedal to change the gear and there it goes, the engine just stalls when I was turning the steering to take the curve. I tried the same thing again and it was repeated. Tried the other car and that also had the same story. And all these were Ford Ikon 1.3.
Kaushik, in about 5 years of using an Ikon 1.3 (2006 model), i have never faced this issue. My car has run about 64,000 kms so far.

What was the model of the cars you had checked out, and approximate kms on the odo?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 15:07   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Kaushik, in about 5 years of using an Ikon 1.3 (2006 model), i have never faced this issue. My car has run about 64,000 kms so far.

What was the model of the cars you had checked out, and approximate kms on the odo?
They were 50k+ on the Odo, if I remember correctly one was of 2004 and other was 2005. I also thought it's probably just some problem with those particular cars only. The third car I drove same day didn't had any such issue(my BIL bought that car actually). After seeing the thread I thought I'll just post my experience as I kind of found that strange.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 00:39   #342

Our Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCI Diesel also had a similar problem, The car used to stall while taking a slow turn normally in 2nd or 3rd gear, The problem stopped happening after the 30,000 km service when they changed the diesel filter. My guess it is the diesel filter, The 1.4 engine comes with a plastic Diesel Filter including the housing costing around Rs 1200.
filmaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 08:01   #343
Senior - BHPian

Did it AGAIN! Was slowng down to take a right turn pressed the clutch to down shift. Since there were a few cars coming in the opposite direction waited with the clutch depressed for a few more seconds. And the chimes came on...!!!
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 21:00   #344
Senior - BHPian

Dear all, Please customer Ford's Customer Care Hotline, and explain this problem to them. The guys at Ford are very well aware of this problem, they have got 3 complaints from Andhra, 1 from TN and 2 from N.India. They would ask you to go to go to your neares dealer, who would conduct various tests on your vehicle and then send them to Ford plant to identify and rectify the problem. The delay in finding the solution is mainly attributed to 2 reasons,
1. The cases that have been brought to Ford India's Plant are too less in number &
2. The reported cases have not been able to reproduce the issue in the presence of S.E. of the dealers until now.

So please contact Ford's Customer Care either through e-mail or telephone
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 00:10   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

The Car isn't supposed to die down on its own and needs attention from Ford India ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Did it AGAIN! Was slowng down to take a right turn pressed the clutch to down shift. Since there were a few cars coming in the opposite direction waited with the clutch depressed for a few more seconds. And the chimes came on...!!!
Curious, do you blip while going down?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote