Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 11:32   #361
BHPian
 
gr8guzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 648
Thanked: 38 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

I changed my pump and have had no stalling issues yet since 3 refills. Hopefully it this problem does not resurface again.

Cheers!!!
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 12:07   #362
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 846
Thanked: 2,295 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

I for one, don't think that the fuel stations have got anything to do with this engine stalling. I believe it is because of the fault of the delivery pump which supplies fuel to the engine. The problem surfaces only when there's sudden application of clutch and the fuel requirement as earlier does not exist. However, the delivery pump keeps supplying fuel leading to a rich flame out of the engine.

This is just my speculation. Ford engineers have to take a call on this. It is unfortunate that Ford, though aware of the problem, is not standing up and taking a stance or corrective measures to address the problem
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 13:38   #363
BHPian
 
Figopian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 350
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I for one, don't think that the fuel stations have got anything to do with this engine stalling. I believe it is because of the fault of the delivery pump which supplies fuel to the engine. The problem surfaces only when there's sudden application of clutch and the fuel requirement as earlier does not exist. However, the delivery pump keeps supplying fuel leading to a rich flame out of the engine.

This is just my speculation. Ford engineers have to take a call on this. It is unfortunate that Ford, though aware of the problem, is not standing up and taking a stance or corrective measures to address the problem
I kind of agree with this. I never had this problem in the first year but since last couple of months I have been experiencing this more than often. I have not changed my fuel pump since I bought this car. Even if I go outof town I still have my favorite pumps so no change on that front at least! I am guessing, it occurs when I try to slow down from say 60+ kmph. I will communicate this with SA during my third servicing which is soon (At 19.2k presently).
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 23:21   #364
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,415
Thanked: 313 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
... I believe it is because of the fault of the delivery pump which supplies fuel to the engine. The problem surfaces only when there's sudden application of clutch and the fuel requirement as earlier does not exist. However, the delivery pump keeps supplying fuel leading to a rich flame out of the engine.
...
In TDCi engines, the pump may supply the fuel, but that will go only to the common rail. No extra fuel will enter the cylinders unless the injectors let it.

If it is a flameout problem as you are speculating then it is either due to injectors or faulty ECU. It can also be due to rail pressure sensor malfunction.


The pump may be to blame if the problem is the other way round - the engine expects more fuel but doesn't get any.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 06:57   #365
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 846
Thanked: 2,295 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
In TDCi engines, the pump may supply the fuel, but that will go only to the common rail. No extra fuel will enter the cylinders unless the injectors let it.

If it is a flameout problem as you are speculating then it is either due to injectors or faulty ECU. It can also be due to rail pressure sensor malfunction.


The pump may be to blame if the problem is the other way round - the engine expects more fuel but doesn't get any.
True. Then the injectors should be the culprit to suspect or even the ECU
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 09:07   #366
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,258
Thanked: 18,662 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Just wondering but has any of you just tried changing the diesel filter or pumping water out of the filter. I know there's a warning light in the dash but it may not be coming on until the filter is fully clogged. Till then the car may just keep stalling. Worth pumping the water out and seeing.

I'm asking cause they are specifically supposed to do this during every service but they never bother.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 11:10   #367
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just wondering but has any of you just tried changing the diesel filter or pumping water out of the filter. I know there's a warning light in the dash but it may not be coming on until the filter is fully clogged. Till then the car may just keep stalling. Worth pumping the water out and seeing.

I'm asking cause they are specifically supposed to do this during every service but they never bother.
I had the car stalling on me just while I was driving from the service center after my 30K service. They just changed my fuel filter as part of the service.

I am not saying that the issue cannot be fuel filter but it should not have happened right after the service if it were the case.
figo_mba is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 15:28   #368
BHPian
 
gr8guzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 648
Thanked: 38 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just wondering but has any of you just tried changing the diesel filter or pumping water out of the filter.
Vid, I had got it done couple of months back. Due to a small hole in the rear bumper water was seeping in my boot and I started getting the "Fuel in Water" warning. The filter & tank was cleaned, but had the stalling issue after that too. It only stopped once I changed the pump.
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:56   #369
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,258
Thanked: 18,662 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Man now I got the stalling problem. Car died on my while downshifting from 5th to 4th while I was trying to overtake. Got the beep beep chime as soon as I depressed the clutch, didn't realise so slotted into 4th and released clutch; engine came back to life.

This is the first time ever in 11,700kms this has happened. It happened 5 minutes after I left home means the engine wasn't fully warmed up.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:47   #370
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,415
Thanked: 313 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Man now I got the stalling problem. Car died on my while downshifting from 5th to 4th while I was trying to overtake. Got the beep beep chime as soon as I depressed the clutch, didn't realise so slotted into 4th and released clutch; engine came back to life.

This is the first time ever in 11,700kms this has happened. It happened 5 minutes after I left home means the engine wasn't fully warmed up.
I got it day before yesterday - 3rd to 2nd, clutch depressed, speed must have been over 20 (I was braking) there was traffic ahead and I wasnt sure whether I wanted to slot 2nd or brake a little more and get straight to 1st, so clutch remained depressed.

This was my first time, the car has done 3200km roughly and first service was done @ 2000km roughly.


I'm a member of this club now where nobody wants to be a member.



My theory - it is definitely the ECU doing something (not so) funny.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:09   #371
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

and there goes the jinx!!! Just as i reported that the issue got resolved by itself the problem surfaced again :(
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 15:45   #372
Senior - BHPian
 
geeash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,512
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

This thread is scary. I was planning to book a small car and almost finalized either swift/figo/micra and now i see this thread. sends me shiver down my spine. Now hooked to this thread to see if there is any resolution before i book the same
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 19:40   #373
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Its true!!!! REV your car to 3000rpm everyday for 5 seconds and Figo promises not to stall on you.

I have been waiting for 3000KMS/1month to be completed to tell this to you guys.
My SA asked me to try this soon after the 30K service.
My car is doing 33+ K kms now and I have been following this regime everyday in the morning.

Perhaps somebody else could try it out as well and let the group know if it works.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 21:23   #374
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 186 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

^^ Did your SA mention any thing about why this practice would work? There has to be some underlying issue which is somehow corrected or hidden temporarily when this practice is followed it seems.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 23:48   #375
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ Did your SA mention any thing about why this practice would work? There has to be some underlying issue which is somehow corrected or hidden temporarily when this practice is followed it seems.
He said it was from his experience. (He owns a figo) and also added that he has been advising others to do the same. I am not saying that this is the ultimate fix but is surely helping me.

Personally I feel there is some problem with the clutch pedal sensor and one or two of the ECU settings. What is it ? that remains to be answered.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford SYNC: Firmware upgrade made easy for cars too! bejoy The International Automotive Scene 5 12th December 2014 17:20
My Linea jerks while downshifting the car DownTheLine Technical Stuff 38 24th November 2009 22:31
Judder while downshifting (Safari 2.2) rb2399 Technical Stuff 8 15th May 2008 00:44
My Accent ECU "hangs" occasionally Rehaan Technical Stuff 37 1st September 2004 09:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks