Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th September 2011, 00:04   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Its true!!!! REV your car to 3000rpm everyday for 5 seconds and Figo promises not to stall on you.
The manual asks to rev the Car above 3,000 revs and I like to do this in the 5th gear.

Quote:
I have been following this regime everyday in the morning.
Find an empty road and let the revs fly. I personally wouldn't rev a Car in the morning till its sufficiently warmed up.

Quote:
Perhaps somebody else could try it out as well and let the group know if it works.
My Car with 8,000 on the odo hasn't died on me while downshifting, buttt has died twice when I braked hard after doing some ridiculous speeds and when I let go off the clutch, it has stalled. And I don't think I am fault here.

OT - Getting an FE of 11.xx kmpl (Its a diesel)
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 07:14   #377
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
OT - Getting an FE of 11.xx kmpl (Its a diesel)
I guess they have put a petrol engine in a diesel car !!

Jokes apart: There must be really something wrong there as most of the figo owners in chennai whom i have asked are constantly telling me atleast 16 and above as mileage. Even if your driving style is aggressive it shouldnt come that low

To others

Are you guys taking care of the turbo charger?. it is always advised to idle to turbocharger on cold start for atleast 1-1 1/2 minutes in the morning and to idle again before the car comes to halt at night.......

Last edited by geeash : 27th September 2011 at 07:17.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 09:10   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I guess they have put a petrol engine in a diesel car !!

Jokes apart: There must be really something wrong there as most of the figo owners in chennai whom i have asked are constantly telling me atleast 16 and above as mileage.
I used to get 16kmpl in mixed driving conditions & still get good FE on the highways. But 11-12 kmpl is really awful. I have checked the air-pressure too & keep a tab on it.

Quote:
Are you guys taking care of the turbo charger?. it is always advised to idle to turbocharger on cold start for atleast 1-1 1/2 minutes in the morning and to idle again before the car comes to halt at night.......
Not just the mornings & night, but everytime the Car is started and prior to switching off.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 09:24   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Its true!!!! REV your car to 3000rpm everyday for 5 seconds and Figo promises not to stall on you.

I have been waiting for 3000KMS/1month to be completed to tell this to you guys.
My SA asked me to try this soon after the 30K service.
My car is doing 33+ K kms now and I have been following this regime everyday in the morning.

Perhaps somebody else could try it out as well and let the group know if it works.
Fail!

My car stalled (and kept stalling) that very day I maintained 3K RPM for about a minute. But I don't remember doing it everyday, though I know I did it more often than not!

I'd not used the car for 10 days now, let's see if it stalls today!

My car gives 17-19 kmpl irrespective of city or highway. current odo 20250

Last edited by anilisanil : 27th September 2011 at 09:25.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 02:27   #380
BHPian

Just wanted to update this thread about how things have been going with my car recently.

My car has crossed 5,000 Kms without stalling, after having 2 injectors replaced and would like to believe that the issue has been more or less resolved in my case. I make it a point to revv the car beyond 3,500 rpm for half a minute or so once in 10 days. The fuel efficiency that I get is around 16 kmpl for my city-office drives which does NOT include heavy traffic and involves AC 80% of the time. I fill up from the same pump I've been using so far (BP)

So apart from the irritating squeaks and rattles from various parts in the car, the car is performing well and I just love driving the Figo around.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 09:38   #381
BHPian

My car stalled again today. I maybe at around 60Kmph and then I had to slow down, in the process I dowwnshifted from 4th to 3rd and I think I had my clutch pedal pressed for a little longer and that is exactly when it stalled. So I would say the car stalled while in 3rd gear, foot removed from accelerator, clutch pedal pressed.

I can now confirm the pattern of stalling as the same I mentioned here as I remember it was same case last time around as well. My 20k service is due now (19.6k today), so I am not sure if I need to ask injector replacement and doubt if it will fall under warranty.

I am kind of starting to relate this to the amount of fuel goes in and thinking if Racechip would fix this issue! May not be the ideal solution, but may be it could fix it?
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 12:34   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
My car stalled again today. I maybe at around 60Kmph and then I had to slow down, in the process I dowwnshifted from 4th to 3rd and I think I had my clutch pedal pressed for a little longer and that is exactly when it stalled. So I would say the car stalled while in 3rd gear, foot removed from accelerator, clutch pedal pressed.

I can now confirm the pattern of stalling as the same I mentioned here as I remember it was same case last time around as well. My 20k service is due now (19.6k today), so I am not sure if I need to ask injector replacement and doubt if it will fall under warranty
Being an expensive part, I'm not sure if they will replace it just upon request from the customer. Most probably they will do some diagnosis and carry out some minor tweaks and ask you to report back in case it happens again. Do you revv your car above the 3K mark once in a while, if not, please try that and see if the stalling instances are reduced.

It's high time Ford comes up with a solution to this in way of a TSB and call in customers to get it done. That will instill trust in our minds.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:56   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Being an expensive part, I'm not sure if they will replace it just upon request from the customer. Most probably they will do some diagnosis and carry out some minor tweaks and ask you to report back in case it happens again. Do you revv your car above the 3K mark once in a while, if not, please try that and see if the stalling instances are reduced.

It's high time Ford comes up with a solution to this in way of a TSB and call in customers to get it done. That will instill trust in our minds.
After reading about the revving above 3k I am doing that (just started after reading about it), but then my car doesnot stall too frequently. Today it happened after almost a month or so, before that I had experienced it only twice. For sure this never happened till I reached 15k mark on Odo. The thing is, today it happned in the midst of traffic and its scary to even think if that happens on the highway when I am overtaking someone!
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 22:12   #384
Senior - BHPian

Well, the only solution as I see it is to not to depress the clutch longer than what required for a gear change. I have been successfully avoiding stalls (hearing 1-2 beeps) by releasing the clutch quickly. If need be I change to a gear lower.

Please note, I am not saying this would solve stalling, this only prevents stalling.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 17:36   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Same situation faced here 3 days back in a similar fashion! 2nd stall from the day we got it home (Mar 2010). 1st one happened somewhere in last days of July 2011. The frequency seems to have increased.

Would have the car released some error codes when it happened? If so, we can easily find the cause.
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 18:37   #386
BHPian

Another stall ! Have shot an email to Ford. Lets see what happens.
Old 8th October 2011, 20:31   #387
Senior - BHPian

^^ To which email address have you posted your email? Is it write2md@ford or some other?
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 22:00   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Would have the car released some error codes when it happened? If so, we can easily find the cause.
An ECU scan in my car revealed no error codes generated related to the stalling. ECU scan was done on 2 different occasions. One at Kairali Ford, Trivandrum, and the other at Lathangi Ford, Bangalore.
Old 8th October 2011, 23:06   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
An ECU scan in my car revealed no error codes generated related to the stalling. ECU scan was done on 2 different occasions. One at Kairali Ford, Trivandrum, and the other at Lathangi Ford, Bangalore.
So has the issue been resolved? If yes, then what was done by the A**? If not, then are you still pushing the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ To which email address have you posted your email? Is it write2md@ford or some other?
I have shot an email to Michael Boneham, Ford's India Country Head: mboneham@ford.com and Nigel Wark: Ford India's Sales & Marketing Head nwark@ford.com. Found these email address at some another figo thread. I am not sure if these emails are managed by them or some random people at Ford India. I have also used their contact us form on the Ford India website. Now I am going to send the email to write2md@ford one as well.

Last edited by Diesel lover : 8th October 2011 at 23:13. Reason: multiquote
Old 9th October 2011, 01:23   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
So has the issue been resolved? If yes, then what was done by the A**? If not, then are you still pushing the issue?
I guess you haven't gone through the entire thread yet. To keep things short, 2 out of the 4 injectors in my car has been replaced (after a lot of visits to the A.S.S. for this issue and getting some random parts replaced every time and numerous test drives) saying they showed lesser pressure readings in the ECU scan. This step was taken after Ford directly analyzed the test results from the A.S.S.

My car has been running fine since then, has crossed 5K kms and 4 months after the injector replacements and haven't stalled even once, touchwood!