Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th October 2011, 02:37   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

A quick question. Does the car stall if you press the clutch for a longer period while its idle ? Like standing on a Traffic Lights and clutch is pressed for 10 secs ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 02:50   #392
BHPian

Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
A quick question. Does the car stall if you press the clutch for a longer period while its idle ? Like standing on a Traffic Lights and clutch is pressed for 10 secs ?
Haven't experience it while idling, however on one occasion the car stalled when I kept the clutch pressed for a longer period (may be close to 3 seconds or so) while doing ~60 kmph while thinking if i need to downshift or not. And in that case I'm almost sure that the engine died half way into the time period and not as soon as I kicked down the clutch pedal, which was the case in almost all other occasions.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 09:07   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
No, didn't face the stall when clutch is pressed during idling (car is not in motion) at traffic lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Haven't experience it while idling, however on one occasion the car stalled when I kept the clutch pressed for a longer period (may be close to 3 seconds or so) while doing ~60 kmph while thinking if i need to downshift or not. And in that case I'm almost sure that the engine died half way into the time period and not as soon as I kicked down the clutch pedal, which was the case in almost all other occasions.
Similar case happened with me while heading towards traffic lights which were red and started to slow down from a distance itself. At that time the car was doing 60 kmph in 4th gear and I pressed the clutch and brake simultaneously to slow down and b4 I could bring the car into neutral gear, I heard the chimes exactly after 1 second of pressing the clutch n brake. The car was still in 4th gear. I believe there is a connection in between pressing of brake and clutch together while the car is in gear.
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 12:02   #394
BHPian

Just now checked my inbox and saw an email reply from Mr. Michael Boneham. The email id to which I emailed him was mboneham@ford.com and I had got this email address from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2363530

The reply reads as

Dear Rohit, thanks for your email. I'm concerned about the issues you raise with your Figo.I have asked Mr.Ruchik Shah (sruchik@ford.com)*, our GM Customer Service to personally understand this issue and resolve as quickly as possible, regards,Michael

*added the email address here myself, was not part of the email received.

Guys, please raise your concerns also to this very email so that the management gets to know how many figo owners are suffering from this problem and things get sorted out quickly.
Old 9th October 2011, 23:38   #395
Senior - BHPian

Can we get a list of all those who have faced this stalling issue with the specific details. We could compile this and mail it to the top heads. I suggest the following details and request everyone who has experienced this to come forward with details.

@Diesel Lover: Since you already have a line of communication open it would be great if you could forward the compiled list too.

Name of Owner: Gemi Thomas
State/Place: Kerala, Trivandrum
Car Number: KL 01 AX 7332
Dealer: Kairali Ford, Trivandrum
Details: The stall always happens while the clutch is depressed for shifting gears and i have never been able to intentionally reproduce it. I have noticed that the door does not unlock even if the engine stalls and i always remember hearing only one set of the chimes [you hear two sets while turning the ignition on] after the stall. Though i have spoken to the service advisors / engineers about this issue i have not put this on record during services since i understood that they had no clue of such a behavior and i did not want them to use "trial and error" method and try to solve the issue by replacing unnecessary parts on my car.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 09:22   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Can we get a list of all those who have faced this stalling issue with the specific details. We could compile this and mail it to the top heads. I suggest the following details and request everyone who has experienced this to come forward with details.

@Diesel Lover: Since you already have a line of communication open it would be great if you could forward the compiled list too.

Name of Owner: Gemi Thomas
State/Place: Kerala, Trivandrum
Car Number: KL 01 AX 7332
Dealer: Kairali Ford, Trivandrum
Details: The stall always happens while the clutch is depressed for shifting gears and i have never been able to intentionally reproduce it. I have noticed that the door does not unlock even if the engine stalls and i always remember hearing only one set of the chimes [you hear two sets while turning the ignition on] after the stall. Though i have spoken to the service advisors / engineers about this issue i have not put this on record during services since i understood that they had no clue of such a behavior and i did not want them to use "trial and error" method and try to solve the issue by replacing unnecessary parts on my car.
Dear Gemi,

I would request you to post your grievance directly to the top management. Getting in touch directly really helps. Let them know the number of stalls that happened till date giving them the exact details (like number of kms run from cold start that day when stall happened, was AC on, were both clutch and brake pressed together and all the minute stuff). I hope this will help them in reaching out the faulty part in a quick manner.
Don't forget to mention the make, model and year of manufacture as well. This will help them make out which year and month manufactured cars are facing this issue.

As per my knowledge there is a member named Vina here who bought the car in April 2011 and also faced the stall issue. This means the faulty part is making way into the Figo for the past one year from its start of manufacture (Mar 2010).

Please let all other team-bhpians facing the stalling issue know about the email address. Ask them to post here as well as mail the same to Mr. Shah who will directly assist us in this issue according to Mr. Boneham.

After receiving a reply from the top management on your email address, if you feel that their reply might help others here facing this issue, you may post the reply here.

I have in my email to them mailed them the link to this active thread. I am sure they will go through it.
Old 10th October 2011, 21:49   #397
BHPian

Got a call from the DGM of Chandigarh based Ford dealer, Bhagat Ford, who said that they would like to examine the vehicle. They even mentioned that they themselves drive a Figo diesel and have faced this stalling issue while driving. They assured me that they will try their best to solve the issue and mentioned that this issue is most probably due to the electronics, but will confirm on checking the mechanical as well as electronics of my car.

I'll be taking my vehicle this weekend for the check up and hope to end this chapter of stalling from my Figo once in for all.

I will update this thread as to what all is done at the service station.
Old 11th October 2011, 01:12   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post

I guess earlier anilisanil had tried to collate the data of all Figo owners here facing the issue. I remember sending him a PM with my car's details. Not sure what happened after that. I'm ready to contribute in case Figo owners here decide to proceed that way. Please let me know.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 10:23   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I guess earlier anilisanil had tried to collate the data of all Figo owners here facing the issue. I remember sending him a PM with my car's details. Not sure what happened after that. I'm ready to contribute in case Figo owners here decide to proceed that way. Please let me know.
had indeed written to the concerned authorities the following mail:

Quote:
Hello Mr. Agrawal and Atul,

As per our conversation we had during my vehicle inspection, I would like to bring to your notice the weird problem of Figo TDCi car stalling under certain circumstances which are not repeatable.

The specific issue is that the carís engine dies when the clutch is depressed and the driver is trying to change the gear. Mostly this happens when the engine is loaded (a/c on, power steering pump on etc) but there is nothing specific can be nailed to replicate the problem at A.S.S. The car was tested for any ECU codes but returned clean, the CAM was reset and air filter was cleaned but still the problem persisted.

Also, I am not the only one who is facing this issue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nshifting.html

In the above link more than 10 Figo owners reported this problem and in some cases I feel the service center has wrongly diagnosed it as fuel system failure, injector failure etc. but the problem still persists. I would like you to have a serious look into this issue as this is pretty dangerous considering the PS and Brakes wonít work on a dead engine and could be catastrophic.

For your reference the following users agreed to share their details, they too face the same problem as I do and they are from different parts of India.
<removing the details of owners for privacy>

There are many such owners who reported this problem but I am just giving you the above details so that you have an idea. Kindly help.

Thanking you with anticipation,
I have been following it up with the concerned and all this while all I am updated is that there are tests carried out for replicating the issue and that I will be updated as soon as some solution is found.

Fed up, yesterday I wrote the following mail to Micheal Boneham:

Quote:

I would like to bring to your attention a scary problem that Figo TDCi faces.

Please find the details of the same mentioned below.

I have faced a lot of scary situations because of car stalling during crucial situations on road traffic. Though I have brought this to the notice of concerned in May 2011, apparently they are unable to find any solution for the same.

Being a Figo owner, I get many calls asking me for the feedback about the car, it pains me to honestly tell about the technical glitch about an otherwise awesome car. Request you to look into this on priority and provide us with a solution.

The link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nshifting.html is full of owners who too are facing the same issue.

Regards,
I got the following reply:

Quote:

Dear Anil, thanks for your email. I am concerned about the issue you raise relayed to your Figo. I have asked Mr. RuchIk Shah our GM Customer Service to personally investigate this issue and liaise. With you on defining root cause and addressing asap, regards,Michael
I strongly suggest each one of us write to them so that they would understand the gravity of the issue!

Last edited by anilisanil : 11th October 2011 at 10:27.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 15:10   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
I have exp the same with about 1/4th of fuel left in the tank, but the car didnt die on me, its just that there was a dead spot somewhere while shifting gears.
It happened today with my car :( , i was slowing down and changing gears. Heard two chimes and a sudden power loss but the engine didn't die. Just to be sure, i moved to the left side of the road then resumed. This is the first time i am facing this issue. The car is 3 months old now and 4.5K KMs in ODO. My fuel tank is almost full.
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 15:15   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
i was slowing down and changing gears. Heard two chimes and a sudden power loss but the engine didn't die. .
Which means you let your leg off the clutch just in time, had you continued depressing the clutch your car would have stalled!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 18:16   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Just now checked my inbox and saw an email reply from Mr. Michael Boneham.
The reply reads as
Dear Rohit, thanks for your email. I'm concerned about the issues you raise with your Figo.I have asked Mr.Ruchik Shah (sruchik@ford.com)*, our GM Customer Service to personally understand this issue and resolve as quickly as possible, regards,Michael
hmm...so this is the template reply that Diesel lover and anilisanil have received. At least they acknowledge the problem. It has been reported far too many times just on this board.

If I were a potential Figo TDCi buyer, I would think twice. Not something to be taken lightly. About time they sort this out.

Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted on developments.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 23:01   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Got a call from the DGM of Chandigarh based Ford dealer, Bhagat Ford, who said that they would like to examine the vehicle. They even mentioned that they themselves drive a Figo diesel and have faced this stalling issue while driving. They assured me that they will try their best to solve the issue and mentioned that this issue is most probably due to the electronics, but will confirm on checking the mechanical as well as electronics of my car.

I'll be taking my vehicle this weekend for the check up and hope to end this chapter of stalling from my Figo once in for all.

I will update this thread as to what all is done at the service station.
If the dealer's own car has the same issue and he has not been able to fix it on his car, then how can one expect him to be able to fix it on your car? Seems like its a lot of R&D with your vehicle.

Anyways, do give us an update once they've had a chance to take a look at it.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 14:18   #404
Senior - BHPian

Two mails to Micheal and the whole Ford customer relations was behind me to get in touch. I was in a conference for four hours and when I checked my mobile I had 12 missed calls and 2 messages stating that they tried to reach me.

Just a few minutes ago, I received a call from our RSM and he informed me that the issue has been identified and they are planning to change the ECU (both hardware and software) on Monday.

Me being me, asked specifically if this was a trial and error. He refused and told me that this is indeed the solution. He however refused to disclose any further information stating that it is company confidential and also that he does not have any more access to any further information as that comes under RnD.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

But whatsoever, I love the way Ford people respond to issues. I am sure this is not the case with most other manufacturers!

Last edited by anilisanil : 13th October 2011 at 14:20.
anilisanil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 14:56   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Two mails to Micheal and the whole Ford customer relations was behind me to get in touch. I was in a conference for four hours and when I checked my mobile I had 12 missed calls and 2 messages stating that they tried to reach me.

Just a few minutes ago, I received a call from our RSM and he informed me that the issue has been identified and they are planning to change the ECU (both hardware and software) on Monday.

Me being me, asked specifically if this was a trial and error. He refused and told me that this is indeed the solution. He however refused to disclose any further information stating that it is company confidential and also that he does not have any more access to any further information as that comes under RnD.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

But whatsoever, I love the way Ford people respond to issues. I am sure this is not the case with most other manufacturers!
Thanks for the update Anil. Can you try to find out on Monday if they are then planning to do this fix in all diesel figo's or just your's as you wrote to MD . Also if this fix is for cars shipped from Ford before a particular date.

ECU is expensive, I guess they won't do this in all cars.
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote