Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 16:44   #91
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 522
Thanked: 414 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Which of these are charged and which are not?
No information on this now anil, however I would assume a filter replacement if involved will be charged and since the other tasks do not involve any new parts, should be free hopefully.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 19:18   #92
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 522
Thanked: 414 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Got the car back delivered to office, yet to drive it.

One question to Figo owners. The S.A. claims to have filled up fuel for 500/- and I rightfully had to pay that amount which I did. But still DTE shows 68 KMs. I called him up and he says all 11 odd litres have been filled in the tank but 6-7 litres will move to reserve and the DTE will show only the reading corresponding to the remaining fuel over the reserve

I would not like to believe it.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 22:17   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

He might be right. Since the car runs some km even with the DTE showing '0'. Not 100% sure though.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 00:21   #94
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 522
Thanked: 414 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Right Gemi, and also on further thinking, since the entire fuel system was flushed out, a part of it should have have been used up to fill all the components. Anyone having more knowledge on this could confirm the amount that might be used up that way.

By the way I was not given any kind of invoice on delivery of the car, so called up the S.A. to check and he said they have submitted a claim to Ford for the fuel filter replacement (Yes, he said the fuel filter has been replaced) and once that is settled, he would give me the invoice.
Will have to see it to believe it.

Drove the car back from work. The car sure is much smoother now. I realized how much more noisy the car was before this. The angry Grrr has now moved to more of a Purr.
Tried to replicate the issue a couple of times, but nothing happened. Overall the car felt a lot smoother. Let me see for a couple of days more. Hope the car stays like this and doesn't give me any more shockers. It's such a hoot to drive otherwise.

Last edited by jayded : 17th March 2011 at 00:24.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 11:39   #95
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore/Mysore
Posts: 399
Thanked: 68 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post

Drove the car back from work. The car sure is much smoother now. I realized how much more noisy the car was before this. The angry Grrr has now moved to more of a Purr.
Tried to replicate the issue a couple of times, but nothing happened. Overall the car felt a lot smoother. Let me see for a couple of days more. Hope the car stays like this and doesn't give me any more shockers. It's such a hoot to drive otherwise.
Sounds good
hope the problem is solved!
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 12:53   #96
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 522
Thanked: 414 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Too early to say man, but will surely keep this thread updated in case I come across any similar issues.

By the way since we have been using the pump regularly for the past 6 years (I had even recommended this pump in the TBHP directory for "Reputed pumps in Trivandrum" ) and having no complaint against them, called up the pump to talk about this and I was told to contact the deputy sales manager of BPCL. Called him up and and talked to him about the concern (that traces of kerosene was found (?) in the fuel) and he adamantly dismissed it explaining it to me how they strive to maintain the reputation of the pump. He also explained how they accept each stock only after measuring the density of the fuel and so on. He even went to the extent of asking me to get the statement in writing that it was the spurious fuel that caused such an issue in the car and once they receive it they would even proceed legally since he is 100% sure that the fuel is not the culprit here.

He also mentioned that this particular pump is one of the most well-run pumps in town. He was confident to the core.

Not sure what the real problem was! Just hoping everything goes smoothly from here. Fingers crossed

Last edited by jayded : 17th March 2011 at 12:58.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 13:46   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Too early to say man, but will surely keep this thread updated in case I come across any similar issues.

Not sure what the real problem was! Just hoping everything goes smoothly from here. Fingers crossed
I am also worried mate, because my SA told me that it is an electrical problem and not a mechanical one. He is very confident that it is the clutch switch which went loose.

Clutch switch apparently is used in CRDI technology to cut off the fuel supply to engine beyond a certain level when clutch is depressed. So he thinks that this is what is happening in my case and switch is not allowing fuel supply sometimes. He sounds right to me and I am opting for a clutch switch change!

Last edited by anilisanil : 17th March 2011 at 13:47.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 14:34   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

What i know is that a clutch switch comes in cars which cant be started without depressing the clutch fully. I really doubt if the Figo TDCi has a Clutch Switch. Ask your SA as to where it is. If he doubt it is loose he should have tried to tighten it right? Ask him on where you can find it.

As i said earlier i think the issue is too complex to be pin pointed at one particular component. It could be anything from fuel pressure, fuel contamination, IAC valve, electrical issue or something to do with any of the main sensors or an ECU coding error. The results you get on a google search on similar issue would give you an idea of how difficult it could be to pinpoint one particular component as the culprit.

Its sad. But i think its just a risk we all have to keep in mind while driving our vehicles. And i really dont think this is an issue with only Figo's. There could be a lot more people out there experiencing the same issue on different cars but thinking that its just a human error in using the clutch.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 14:40   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyd
Posts: 242
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Keep us posted on this Jayded. I'm closely following this thread as Figo is on my radar.

Looking at the three points, 1. Fuel smelled like kerosene, 2. Only fuel lines were cleaned and fuel replaced(nothing else on the car was touched), 3. You are seeing a noticeable difference in the smoothness, the fuel must have been the culprit. Hope your issue stands resolved with this.

By any chance, did anyone else(your friends or someone) used the car for a day or two and they might have got some fuel filled at a different station?

-Vinay.
asdfvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 14:48   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
What i know is that a clutch switch comes in cars which cant be started without depressing the clutch fully. I really doubt if the Figo TDCi has a Clutch Switch. Ask your SA as to where it is. If he doubt it is loose he should have tried to tighten it right? Ask him on where you can find it.

As i said earlier i think the issue is too complex to be pin pointed at one particular component. It could be anything from fuel pressure, fuel contamination, IAC valve, electrical issue or something to do with any of the main sensors or an ECU coding error. The results you get on a google search on similar issue would give you an idea of how difficult it could be to pinpoint one particular component as the culprit.

Its sad. But i think its just a risk we all have to keep in mind while driving our vehicles. And i really dont think this is an issue with only Figo's. There could be a lot more people out there experiencing the same issue on different cars but thinking that its just a human error in using the clutch.
To start with, it is Clutch Pedal Position switch, which is different from clutch safety switch that you mentioned. He showed me the switch that was there underneath the clutch pedal. Though I do not have any idea if it is a switch at all.

All he told was that it gives the ECU signal to cut off the fuel supply beyond a certain value when the clutch is depressed. Even I am googling ever since. But as you said, looks like we cannot pin point it to a single component. But the way my vehicle behaved in the last two stalls I strongly "feel" it is indeed an electrical/electronic problem. So lemme see if the switch replacement thing works well.

By the way, googling it I found that it was generally ford vehicles that are at fault and most suggestions are between the CPP switch and fuel pump/lines.

Last edited by anilisanil : 17th March 2011 at 14:53.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 15:01   #101
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 522
Thanked: 414 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Keep us posted on this Jayded. I'm closely following this thread as Figo is on my radar.

Looking at the three points, 1. Fuel smelled like kerosene, 2. Only fuel lines were cleaned and fuel replaced(nothing else on the car was touched), 3. You are seeing a noticeable difference in the smoothness, the fuel must have been the culprit. Hope your issue stands resolved with this.

By any chance, did anyone else(your friends or someone) used the car for a day or two and they might have got some fuel filled at a different station?

-Vinay.
Hi Vinay,

Comments on the 3 points you mentioned.
1) Yes, the fuel had smelled similar to kerosene. Does normal diesel have a characteristic smell similar to kerosene or not? I haven't smelled diesel otherwise.

2) The following were done on the car: Fuel lines cleaned, Fuel tank cleaned and fuel filter replaced.

3) The car is a lot smoother especially with respect to the engine noise. Its noticeably silent inside the cabin.

And lastly no one else has used my car.
1 mistake I did was I failed to collect a sample of the fuel when they emptied my tank
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 15:27   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyd
Posts: 242
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Not sure Jayded, as far as I remember they smell different and easily identifiable by smell. They said it smelled like kerosene, even if not, the only system touched is the fuel supply system and there is noticeable difference. I think there was a problem in the fuel system(fuel, lines, filter or just the way new filter was installed on last service)Especially since the car is new, I dont think there should be such noticeable difference if everything was fine before. Since the difference is there, I think there was some disturbance was there in the fuel system, which was the only one touched in the car.

As I said before, I faced a similar situation on Zen, and the first thing we did was the same(fuel and filter change, lines cleaned) and there was absolutely no difference before and after. So I wasn't satisfied with what was done, nor the issue was solved. We did this twice.

If I'm not wrong, being the first one to get the fuel filled at any filling station(early morning, or after long gap) is also something to be considered. The moisture/fog etc collected in the filler will all flow straight into our tank.
asdfvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 15:44   #103
BHPian
 
nitrogary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 134
Thanked: 139 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
What i know is that a clutch switch comes in cars which cant be started without depressing the clutch fully. I really doubt if the Figo TDCi has a Clutch Switch. Ask your SA as to where it is. If he doubt it is loose he should have tried to tighten it right? Ask him on where you can find it.

As i said earlier i think the issue is too complex to be pin pointed at one particular component. It could be anything from fuel pressure, fuel contamination, IAC valve, electrical issue or something to do with any of the main sensors or an ECU coding error. The results you get on a google search on similar issue would give you an idea of how difficult it could be to pinpoint one particular component as the culprit.

Its sad. But i think its just a risk we all have to keep in mind while driving our vehicles. And i really dont think this is an issue with only Figo's. There could be a lot more people out there experiencing the same issue on different cars but thinking that its just a human error in using the clutch.
a clutch switch is necessary for a common rail engine. it tells the ECU clutch status. for manual transmission, it can have 3 modes: on, off and slip. sometimes, the slip can have two modes-high and low.
for automatics, there are again three modes: open, slip and lock. and the slip mode can be further divided.

agreed that its far too complex to point at one component. but i am tempted to suspect the clutch switch as a high potential issue.
nitrogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 15:48   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
a clutch switch is necessary for a common rail engine. it tells the ECU clutch status. for manual transmission, it can have 3 modes: on, off and slip. sometimes, the slip can have two modes-high and low.
for automatics, there are again three modes: open, slip and lock. and the slip mode can be further divided.

agreed that its far too complex to point at one component. but i am tempted to suspect the clutch switch as a high potential issue.

Hi thanks for the info, could you please let us know how exactly the ECU uses this info?
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 21:40   #105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 199
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

@jayded
For me the stalls happened on down shift, thrice in my 1700 km. Clutch switch seems like a logical explanation. But I am unable to replicate it and I believe it will be hard to find out of change of clutch switch fixes it. On the negative testing side, I would like to see what the behavior is if the clutch switch is disconnected totally.
gharika is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford SYNC: Firmware upgrade made easy for cars too! bejoy The International Automotive Scene 5 12th December 2014 17:20
My Linea jerks while downshifting the car DownTheLine Technical Stuff 38 24th November 2009 22:31
Judder while downshifting (Safari 2.2) rb2399 Technical Stuff 8 15th May 2008 00:44
My Accent ECU "hangs" occasionally Rehaan Technical Stuff 37 1st September 2004 09:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:55.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks