Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 23:23   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 656 Times
Default Re: Shocked to see smoke and part of radiator fan melted for an Aveo (6 months old ca

Nice to hear that your issue is resolved. Moreover the Service Centre people came out to be very understanding.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 23:34   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,592
Thanked: 7,081 Times
Default Re: Shocked to see smoke and part of radiator fan melted for an Aveo (6 months old ca

Hey that is great news! Chevy is doing well when it comes to keeping the customers happy. They will reap the benefits soon i guess
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 03:51   #18
BHPian
 
rohitbagai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 401
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Shocked to see smoke and part of radiator fan melted for an Aveo (6 months old ca

It could be an electrical fault. Sometimes I have seen fan running in reverse. It could have taken the hot air via radiator and hence melted.
rohitbagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 09:24   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Banglore
Posts: 320
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Shocked to see smoke and part of radiator fan melted for an Aveo (6 months old ca

Good to see that you got back your car in good condition with out any hassle. Kudos to Korpex for this.
kavu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 09:31   #20
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,261
Thanked: 4,209 Times
Default Re: Shocked to see smoke and part of radiator fan melted for an Aveo (6 months old ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
The good part is it was all covered and total bill amounted to Rs. 0 and the better part, they refunded the towing charge of Rs. 2000 as well as promised without me asking them. Well done Kropex India.
Nice to hear the happy-ending of the troubled beginning.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 11:45   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore/Mysore
Posts: 399
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Shocked to see smoke and part of radiator fan melted for an Aveo (6 months old ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
the better part, they refunded the towing charge of Rs. 2000 as well as promised without me asking them. Well done Kropex India.
Cheers for that
Ford is yet to do that to me even after 6 months, inspite of multiple follow ups! have been told it will be adjusted as part of my 20k service. fingers crossed!
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 16:46   #22
BHPian
 
markmytravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Shocked to see smoke and part of radiator fan melted for an Aveo (6 months old ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Cheers for that
Ford is yet to do that to me even after 6 months, inspite of multiple follow ups! have been told it will be adjusted as part of my 20k service. fingers crossed!
Indeed surprising. I haven't seen anyone returning the cash they have already taken. Initially when they sent the guy for inspection, he told me it's not covered and it's an external agency that they use for towing. I insited on talking to his manager and supervisor and did make it a point before hand about why should I pay if it's a manufacturing defect. It might have really helped though honestly speaking I wasn't expecting a return for towing charges. All's well that ends well I guess
markmytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 18:59   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Skoda Octavia - Seek urgent advice!

Hello All

I noticed a burning(plastic) smell while driving and halted and opened the hood. A whiff of smoke was coming from the Radiator fan(??) area. The car has two fans and the one on the right side is stuck and the fan on the left is working. I kept the hood opened and let the engine cool for some time and drove back home without any incident. Temperature gauge shows normal levels. Now:

1. There are two fans. Why? I don't see any fan belt. So, what burned?

2. I am now in Kerala and have no reliable garage *I know of in the area‎ and am scheduled to drive back to Mumbai in a few days. So, is it safe to do so in this condition?*

3. What should I expect to spend to rectify this?

Car is Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI, 2006

Please help.

Regards
Ashok‎
Ashokkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 19:29   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,844
Thanked: 372 Times
Default re: Skoda Octavia - Seek urgent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashokkp View Post
Hello All

I noticed a burning(plastic) smell while driving and halted and opened the hood. A whiff of smoke was coming from the Radiator fan(??) area. The car has two fans and the one on the right side is stuck and the fan on the left is working. I kept the hood opened and let the engine cool for some time and drove back home without any incident. Temperature gauge shows normal levels. Now:

1. There are two fans. Why? I don't see any fan belt. So, what burned?

2. I am now in Kerala and have no reliable garage *I know of in the area‎ and am scheduled to drive back to Mumbai in a few days. So, is it safe to do so in this condition?*

3. What should I expect to spend to rectify this?

Car is Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI, 2006

Please help.

Regards
Ashok‎


Seems like one of the fans has burnt it's motor. One fan is exclusive to the AC & the other is the usual radiator fan. If the operating temperature of the car is normal, then most likely it is the AC fan that has burnt. Turn on the AC & see if the car begins to heat up.

Driving long distance with a non-functional fan may not be advisable. Unless you are willing to drive without using the AC at all. IF the car heats up upon switching on the AC it is clearly dangerous & risky.

Have it looked at a dealership or a good electrician

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 15th May 2016 at 19:31.
Ricky_63 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 20:10   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Hi

I drove the car back home with the A/c on for more than 15kms. The a/c cools normally and the car did not heat up (the Temp.gauge showed normal reading). There was no more burning smell-whatever burned has burnt completely.

Now, my hope for a repair/replacement of fan motor is at Palakkad/Trichur or Coimbatore. So, can anyone share contact of a suitable Garage/electrician in any of these places?

Regards

Last edited by Aditya : 16th May 2016 at 07:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Ashokkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 22:59   #26
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: India
Posts: 74
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia - Seek urgent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashokkp View Post
Hello

I drove the car back home with the A/c on for more than 15kms. The a/c cools normally and the car did not heat up( the Temp.gauge showed normal reading). There was no more burning smell-whatever burned has burnt completely.

Now, my hope for a repair/replacement of fan motor is at Palakkad/Trichur or Coimbatore. So, can anyone share contact of a suitable Garage/electrician in any of these places?

Regards
There are two dealers in coimbatore for Skoda. One is Millenium Motors & the other is SGA Cars India (P) Ltd. You can contact anyone of them for your problems with the car.
vdm295 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 01:03   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,993 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia - Seek urgent advice!

If you are in or around Cochin, your best bet would be to take it to Manikandan Skoda. If it's diagnosed to be a fan/electric problem, PM me I will suggest a guy who can help you out.
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 06:50   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia - Seek urgent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Seems like one of the fans has burnt it's motor. One fan is exclusive to the AC & the other is the usual radiator fan. If the operating temperature of the car is normal, then most likely it is the AC fan that has burnt. Turn on the AC & see if the car begins to heat up.

Driving long distance with a non-functional fan may not be advisable. Unless you are willing to drive without using the AC at all. IF the car heats up upon switching on the AC it is clearly dangerous & risky.

Have it looked at a dealership or a good electrician
Hi

Update; Both fans Don't work when the engine is on and A/c is off. However, the moment A/c is switched on, both start working! The fan on the right side(bigger size) squeaks and makes a grinding noise when rotated with hand and the other one is smooth and silent. The bigger one occasionally squeaks when running under power as well.

Now, one of the fan was supposed to run irrespective of A/c's state(assuming they are exclusive for A/c and engine cooling)

What could be wrong here?

Regards
Ashokkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 07:28   #29
BHPian
 
EFF-EIGHT-BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Patiala
Posts: 178
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia - Seek urgent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashokkp View Post
Hi

Update; Both fans Don't work when the engine is on and A/c is off. However, the moment A/c is switched on, both start working! The fan on the right side(bigger size) squeaks and makes a grinding noise when rotated with hand and the other one is smooth and silent. The bigger one occasionally squeaks when running under power as well.

Now, one of the fan was supposed to run irrespective of A/c's state(assuming they are exclusive for A/c and engine cooling)

What could be wrong here?

Regards
The engine cooling fan will run only when engine temperature reaches a certain point. Just keep the engine running and observe under the bonnet if the cooling fan is kicking in after reaching approximately 90 degrees. If it isn't, then there must be some problem. Other than that, I'll suggest to you to change the fan as going by the symptoms described by you, it seems to be on its last leg.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 08:50   #30
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: warangal
Posts: 126
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia - Seek urgent advice!

Hey there,

I had a recent experience when I was driving 300kms from Warangal to Eluru on undivided state highways full of potholes with car packed to the brim. All was fine and nothing to really complain. But me being a freak, I always do checks all the time. I checked the coolant reservoir after 3 hours of aggressive driving (you know the condition of driving on state highways right?, it gets your nerves and makes you impatient), we stopped for stretching our legs. I noticed that the coolant reservoir was empty. NOT the radiator cap. By no means should you open your radiator cap when the car is hot. And so, I started filling it up with water. It took 3 liters whereas the reservoir was good enough for only 1 liter. This means my coolant was boiling away beyond my notice. I thought I must have missed something and ploughed on and after 2 hours and mid-way, there was not even an indication of temperature rising in the guage. I thought that all is well. Filled up after journey and it took 5 liters of water. We were short on time and I could not get it serviced and so I just got it filled up with water. And then, on return leg, I noticed that the coolant was actually bubbling and steaming out of the coolant excess drain hose. But no increase in temp guage.

Never mind that, the reason for my bubbling was overload. You know indian mentality of overloading vehicles. And the stress on engine, along with peak summer of 45 degrees and state highwys with aggressive driving caused the boiling away. I came home and had coolant flush and new coolant put in and no problems whatsoever.

THE POINT I WANT TO HIGHLIGHT IS THAT COOLANT BOILING AWAY MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED. KEEP AN EYE ON THAT. Due to cooling ineffectiveness, the coolant might boil but the temperature guage would not show tell-tale signs unless the coolant has completely boiled away and then because of no cooling, the engine overheats.

Just keep an eye on coolant levels as you carry on and top it up mid-way journey if you find coolant lesser than required. Get back to your place and get the car fixed. And don't freak out on hearing that coolant has boiled. It is not a big issue. Just remember the cooling circuit should not be dry or there would be expensive damage.

Last edited by aveemashfaq : 16th May 2016 at 08:53.
aveemashfaq is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should the radiator fan be running all the time? weejai Technical Stuff 21 10th September 2017 16:35
Ikon 1.8 Radiator Fan not Working!! Born 2 Be Wild Technical Stuff 4 13th April 2009 00:29
Fiat Petra - Radiator Fan Noise Rai Technical Stuff 3 11th March 2009 18:08
Strange problem with Petra - Radiator fan jraj Technical Stuff 8 24th August 2008 14:00
Radiator Fan Blues tsk1979 Technical Stuff 14 29th October 2007 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks