Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th September 2011, 02:20   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: List of hatchbacks & sedans with High ground clearance?

The trusty old Hyundai Santro has fantastic GC. I've loaded my car up to the brim, with people and luggage and it had never scraped even once. In fact, I'm starting to think I can take it off-roading now!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 10:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The trusty old Hyundai Santro has fantastic GC. I've loaded my car up to the brim, with people and luggage and it had never scraped even once. In fact, I'm starting to think I can take it off-roading now!
That is primarily because of a very short wheel base, which translates to a good "break over" angle. The same is the case with Alto K10, I have yet to scrape it.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 10:38   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That is primarily because of a very short wheel base, which translates to a good "break over" angle. The same is the case with Alto K10, I have yet to scrape it.
That is correct.

Cars with short wheel-base tend to fare better over speed breakers. Case in point the i10. Even cars like the Beat and the new Honda Brio should fare well over speed breakers. The Brio, in fact, would be the first Honda that will not suffer from GC issues.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 16:05   #49
BHPian

Default Comparative List - Ground Clearance of almost all vehicles under Rs. 10 Lakhs

In my quest for a vehicle that would give an acceptably comfortable ride on the kind of roads I have to travel on, I did some extensive research before deciding on the Renault Duster (current status = booked). You won't believe what I have had to endure through the years.

In the villages, it's not much of a problem even if there are no paved, metalled roads - as long as it's not the monsoons. The "kachche raste" are relatively plain and mostly hazard free. But the real nightmare is when you have to traverse highways that are used by the mining/steel/power/automotive industries. These highways are hellish with entire stretches of 10 kilometers or more full of ditches one right after the other. They are ditches all right - you call them potholes and that would be taken as a compliment! You steer right to avoid the ditch in front of you, but that's of no use as there is another one right there. You can't take your vehicle off the road because typically the road is set quite a bit higher than the ground as years of patch-work and re-laying has raised the road up quite a bit compared to the adjoining ground. Consequently the ditches get deeper every year, with the water eating into the tar. The edges of the road are perpendicular to the ground, meaning that it isn't a gradient to ease you out to the adjoining ground. The poor hatchback / sedan's under-body gets punished and essential parts like the exhaust take a lot of damage - mine is beyond repair.

Thus my main, absolute need for a new vehicle was high ground clearance. 2nd main requirement was a steady, comfortable ride. Plus my budget was limited to 10L. I already knew that the Duster was the vehicle for me a year before it was launched, but to fulfill my own arguments I drew up comparative charts for various parameters for all the vehicles I was considering for purchase.

I am attaching one such chart which lists almost all vehicles which have variants that have an ex-showroom price of less than 10L. The vehicles are listed in descending order of ground clearance.

Hope somebody finds it useful, or in the very least it quenches someone's curiosity. There are quite a few surprises, for example look up the humble Ambassador and the sexy new Fiesta. All the data has been taken from the respective official websites of cars / manufacturers. Data for some vehicles were not available - I had left these blank as in any case I was not considering these vehicles. This list has been compiled over a year and a half and updated multiple times.

Ground_Clearance_of_Cars_Under_10L.xlsx
snkjr is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 11:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Comparative List - Ground Clearance of almost all vehicles under Rs. 10 Lakhs

Thanks for the list. Didnt know that the Fiat siblings would be right at the top

Apart from the GC, the front and rear overhang and the wheelbase will also play a crucial role. Though both Punto and Linea have the same GC at 185mm, Punto will be relatively more capable of clearing the hurdles due to shorter overhangs
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 22:54   #51
BHPian

Is 170mm GC work with Etios , had a very bad experience with Fiesta 168mm GC and wheel base of 2486mm does this 2 mm more really works with the wheel base of Etios which is 2550 mm(more than fiesta).
crazyjeeperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 22:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Is 170mm GC work with Etios , had a very bad experience with Fiesta 168mm GC and wheel base of 2486mm does this 2 mm more really works with the wheel base of Etios which is 2550 mm(more than fiesta).
What you need is a "Ramp Over Angle". With longer wheel base the angle will be less, hence you will hit the speed breakers more often.

A shorter wheel base with same GC is much better.

One thing that matters is where the minimum GC is. If it is at the suspension then you have more lee way. If it is at the differential or the sump then you are in trouble.
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Guys if the purpose of this thread is "Numbers", then here are 2 cars that I have owned and their respective GC's:

1. Hyundai Santro - 172 mm
2. Hyundai Getz - 160mm

Now coming to the "Scrapping" issue, not once have I had any issue with either of my Steads.

Im sure experts can throw some light on this but I feel the Hyundai Getz shock absorbers are Tuned just right.

Its just about soft for a comfortable ride and hard enough to clear "Almost All" Humps/Bumps that Indian roads has to offer.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Even cars like the Beat and the new Honda Brio should fare well over speed breakers. The Brio, in fact, would be the first Honda that will not suffer from GC issues.
That is NOT correct actually about the Brio. It scrapped twice over big speed breakers (on full load though) while I'm confident the i10 would have sailed thru. I was extremely careful over them and was driving at less than 5 kmph and still it bottomed out.

Just few weeks back saw a Brio stuck at the service road next to KR puram ORR flyover (the road to join ORR from the one that goes towards Hopefarm). To join ORR from the service lane there is a broken sort of bridge that is probably only meant for trucks (but is used by cars also though you have to be careful).

Brio definitely suffers from GC issues.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 16:34   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Among sedans I've owned I find the Skoda Laura to have the best good ground clearance. The car hardly scrapes its underbelly on tall speed breakers even on a full load. Compared to its competitors from the segment the car has the smallest wheelbase, which also helps matters apart from a stiff rear suspension which does not squat under load like a Civic. The GC as per the Spec sheet is 164mm.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 16:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: List of hatchbacks/sedans with High ground clearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Swift's GC can be very subjective. It completely depends on the weight loaded in the car, and more importantly, the height of the speed brakers.
I have opened exhaust manifold twice in last 4 years- once when it was fully loaded (4 adults and 2 bags) and once with only me in the car! (OT - On both occasions the MASS repaired it for free of cost although i was visting them for the first time and only for this problem.)
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 14:33   #57
BHPian

Re-initiating this thread, as the data is almost 3-4 years old.
This is one of the problems I face every day due to unscientific speed breakers and sewage systems constructed all over the city (Chennai).

Mini SUVs like Duster and Ecosport got a clearance of 20cm, which is fairly good, but when it comes to sedans and hatchbacks, its not sufficient in many roads.

Apart from ground clearance, the "break over" angle plays an important role in under body scratching, which depends on the wheelbase of the vehicle.

My contribution : My Santro never had a GC problem in any city roads, but for my Eon its a problem in some cases (even though both got a ground clearance of 17cm)

Thereby more than relying on quantitative data, its interesting to hear from owners. Please contribute...
sunil8089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 17:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Even though the Alto K10 has low GC, its shorter wheel base helps in case of most speed breakers.
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:20   #59
BHPian

The now discontinued Lancer had a stock GC of 185 mm (with tubed tyres of profile 80). This was the highest GC on a sedan till date and I never had any scraping issues even though the car has a wide wheelbase. When it was time to change the tyres, the 'profile 80' tyres (175/80/R13) was not available in tubeless category. So I had to settle down for the 70's profile tubeless tyre. This reduced the GC by 12 mm and was a real pain. Thus to retain the original GC I upgraded the wheel size from 13 to 14 inches alloys. Also, I made a custom modification of inserting a 5 mm hard-rubber cut-to-size rounded washer in between the strut and the chassis. Then I had to invest in another set of tyres, this time 185/70/R14. So now I have GC of 187 mm.

Long story short, I spent almost 50k in doing this but the efforts have been very rewarding. I also have a Honda City and Toyota Corolla but when it comes to a family road trip across India, it is always the Lancer, simply because of its high GC.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote