Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th March 2011, 00:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Automatic Climate Control Tripping

My Baleno's ACC is tripping since the last 4 days. I first suspected the gas being low but it seems its not the case. It started all of a sudden when the ACC tripped. The compressor went off and there was no temperature reading on the panel. The AUTO kept blinking. I switched it off and tried switching it on again a few times but nothing. Then I switched off the car and after a few minutes when I switched it on again the ACC started working again but after about a minute or so tripped again. The blower is working but the compressor is not. I got the Gas filled up and it worked fine for about a day but the problem was back the next day. It trips in continuous running but will work for a minute or two when the car is restarted. What could be the issue here?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 11:01   #2
BHPian

Default re: Automatic Climate Control Tripping

I have come across similar situation and there is nothing to worry.

Check your AC cooling oil, it should be empty(open the bonnet, you should see a cooling oil can). If cooling oil is dried you will face this issue. Fill it up till the mark which should fix the issue.
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 12:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

No expert here.
But
Could it be a fuse which is trigerring this? Have you added any extra horns or upgraded the headlights recently? Maybe some relay issue?
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 12:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its not a fuse issue have checked out all. Yes new fogs were put in but it had a separate relay and wiring. Will check the Ac cooling oil can. Thanks@camchennai.
Old 27th March 2011, 12:49   #5
BHPian

Have you also eliminated the possibility of refrigerant gas leakage? The compressor will not kick in normally if gas level is lower than a critical level. It could one of the reasons, best eliminated before letting more $$s escape!

OT, yours must be the rare Baleno VXi.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 23:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Automatic Climate Control Tripping

@Prabal that possibility has been eliminated by checking for leakage and refilling the gas. It worked ok for about a couple of hours, infact the problem re surfaced the very next day when it was switched on. Why rare?
Old 29th March 2011, 09:47   #7
BHPian

If there is no leakage in the system, it could either be the expansion valve or the pressure switch. Get it to a competent shop and get it checked. Make sure that you only use Dupont Suva refrigerant, not the generic, no name gas from refilled cylinders.
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 12:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@Prabal that possibility has been eliminated by checking for leakage and refilling the gas. It worked ok for about a couple of hours, infact the problem re surfaced the very next day when it was switched on. Why rare?
I'd noticed this in your opening post too, which is why I suspect a leak; after refilling the refrigerant gas, the ACC seems to be working fine for a longer duration, i.e. until the next day, by when the gas possibly escapes again to fall below the minimum level required to activate the compressor (just a possibility, which is why I'm asking for definite elimination). Amongst other causes, ACCs also do not work if gas is low (unlike in conventional AC systems where only the degree of cooling is affected, although the AC continues to soldier on). gotzuk and camchennai's points are also valid, however gas leakage is the most common culprit, and very annoying if not addressed, hence I'm asking for checking on it and setting aside.

Rare, because the Baleno Vxi with ACC, beautiful 14" alloys and all was offered for a short period. Lovely car!
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 19:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Prabal, the ACC is working fine now and no issues as of now. Got it checked for leakage, there was none. Lets see how long does it go.